Anyone use Premarin? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone use Premarin? Anyone use Premarin?

Unread 08-13-2011, 10:03 PM
Anyone use Premarin?

I see a lot of ladies mention using the patch. Just curious if anyone takes premarin and what your experience has been. I've only been on it for 4 days but already feeling a bit better. Still having a few hot flashes now and then, but nothing unbearable and of course I know it will take a bit for my levels to even out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Re: Anyone use Premarin?

I have been taking Premarin for two years now, since my hysterectomy. I am very happy I"m taking it, as I have felt really good. Every now and then I have the slightest little hot flash, or really a warm flush, but otherwise the Premarin has kept the menopausal symptoms away. I have to be cautious with my salt intake as the Premarin tends to make me retain water, and my weight has settled a couple of pounds above where I was before, but it's only a couple so I"m not worried about that. Good luck to you!
Unread 08-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Thanks so much!! I've seen mixed reviews on it of course, so I was just curious. I do love salt, so I'll keep an eye out for that. I know we're all different, but it is good to hear you didn't gain much weight. I'm fairly thin and did lose 13lbs after surgery, so I'm okay with gaining a few pounds, but I'd rather not gain much. I'm still a little nervous about any HRT because of my bc risk, but for the moment the pros definitely outweighed the cons. Again, thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2011, 04:21 AM

Perfect timing! Thank you!! I'm on day 3 of Premarin. I was not happy when Dr. prescribed. A friend of mine experienced major weight gain and got a little whacky. My mom had to stop taking it as it made her very anxious and emotional.

I know everyone is different and figured I'd try it with an open mind and see what happened. I am so happy to read positive results. I am now optimistic. These hot flashes are driving me crazy. They started about 4 weeks after surgery.

I don't mean to sound shallow but I work really hard to keep my weight in check. I lost 50 pounds about 10 years ago and have kept it off. The thought of gaining weight had me considering not taking the meds but the intensity of the flashes is killing me. Thank you again ladies!

Oh
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:10 AM

So glad you're feeling better about taking the premarin. I don't think you're shallow at all for being concerned about the weight gain. I was lucky to get good genes from my dad's side of the family, but my mom's side is a different story. I realize how hard it is to lose weight and keep it off for many women and it is something you are proud of! That's great!! I wouldn't want all that hard work to be sidetracked by a darn pill at all! I hope it works out for both of us! Because you're right those hot flashes can be pretty rough!! People who don't know think I'm kidding when I say I'm having a hot flash!
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the encouragement. After posting this I got on the scale and I'm 5 pounds heavier than I was yesterday. It's not possible to gain 5 pounds overnight! My weight has been consistent for 7 weeks. NOT HAPPY!

I'm hoping it's just due to me eating a somewhat normal size meal last night and I'll be back to normal tomorrow. I really haven't had much of an appetite since the surgery and have been eating like a bird. My intestines are finally back to normal so it feels good to eat and not be uncomfortable for a day or so afterward. I'm down 20 pounds since my surgery so I do have a little wiggle room but I'm liking this weight.

Anyway, please update us on your experiences with the Premarin going forward. We started taking it a day apart. I'd appreciate you sharing your experience. I will do the same.

Thanks again gacki
Unread 08-15-2011, 03:19 PM

I completely understand what you mean about not having an appetite after surgery and how it feels to eat again. Definitely not possible to gain that much weight overnight...possibly water weight? or like you said, just a good meal.

I just wanted to let you know it has already helped my moods! I was out taking care of a few things today and my daughter called for about the 4th time today (she's 8)...I was expecting the usual, "when are you going to be home?" instead I got "you know the wii remotes...well I dropped it in the toilet! and now it's making a squeaky noise". Prior to my surgery and the first few weeks after this would have sent me over the edge. I know they are young, but something like taking the wii remote in the bathroom is just plain ridiculous! Anyway, instead of fussing, I started laughing! Then she started crying! I was confused, but she was concerned because she said a new one would cost too much money and she was upset that she was causing me to waste money!

I just had to share, if nothing else hopefully you'll get a good laugh. I'll definitely keep you updated on how things are going. I go back to work next week, so we'll see if the up beat mood sticks around after that
Unread 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM

My mom used it for 40 plus years. My mother in law used it for close to that too. My mom was always very thin and active.
Unread 08-16-2011, 02:32 PM

Thanks Calypso! It's always good to hear the positives.
Unread 08-17-2011, 04:38 PM

I was prescribed Premarin and it did work for me too but my dental hygenist told me there were good alternatives. I did some research and stopped taking it because of what I found out. Will be seeing my doc soon to get an alternate rx.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register