Scheduled TAH Keep Ovaries or not...I would love your personal experiences! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep Ovaries or not...I would love your personal experiences! Keep Ovaries or not...I would love your personal experiences!

Unread 08-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Keep Ovaries or not...I would love your personal experiences!

Hi Ladies,

I had my preop appt. with the doc today to schedule the TAH. (Sept. 19th) They plan to take the uterus and the cervix but she said they really could not see the ovaries well to tell if they need to come out. The fibroid is apparently larger than a softball. If there are issues when they do the surgery, they will take them but before that time, I need to decide do I have them taken or keep them. I am 43...will be 44 in Nov. I have never given birth to a child. (we have two through adoption). I am so torn. I am scared of the HRT and how it will affect my body and then breast cancer concerns but on the other hand, I just want this gone...I really am so clueless and would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Re: Keep Ovaries or not...I would love your personal experiences!

I had my TAH in April. Cervix was removed and I kept ovaries. There was nothing wrong with them and I also did not want to deal with HRT at my age (45). No problems so far and feel that I made the right decision for me personally.
Unread 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM

I wanted to keep one but couldnt. I have struggled with the surgical menopause. If you can keep them, I would.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2011, 04:13 PM

I had mine out 6 days ago. I am 50, had no need fir them, and chose to have them removed. Going no HRT. So far so good buts it's very early yet.
Unread 08-15-2011, 04:24 PM

I wanted to keep mine but once he got in there it wasn't an option, they both had to go. We had talked about the possibility prior to surgery so I wasn't surprised. I had a really large dermoid cyst on one ovary which couldn't be saved and the other ended up having multiple cyst so he took that two to prevent future problems. Went 3 1/2 weeks with HRT but ended up needing them. If your ovaries are in good condition and he feels it's safe to keep them, then I would keep them. Best of luck too you on your upcoming surgery!!
Unread 08-15-2011, 05:18 PM

I'm in the same boat with the ovaries. My uterus is coming out because of adenomyosis and the cervix because of a bad pap. My ovaries have multiple cysts but I have never had to do anything because of them. They cause me pain (I think... hard to tell what is hurting some days). I've been given the option if they are ok but the option left me wondering what to do as well. I'm 42 and my surgery is the 8th of September.

Just me thinking out loud but I think I like the theory that if they are healthy then there is no reason to remove them. I was worried about what if they left them and they started causing me trouble? I only want to do one surgery. Well, if they are causing me trouble then they are probably not healthy and then they will come out. I hope it works out this easy....
Unread 08-15-2011, 06:17 PM

I was in the same situation...my dr. told me that if she saw something "bad" with the ovaries, then it's too dangerous to keep them and not worth keeping them. Otherwise, they would stay. Luckily she said they were fine, and they stayed. I'm 44 and hoping I have a few more years until I go into menopause.
Unread 08-15-2011, 06:34 PM

I also am 44 and talking to my Dr. she said she would leave the ovaries unless she gets in there and they look like there may be a problem. From what I have been reading besides not wanting to be on Hormone replacement it can affect your heart health and osteoporosis. So if mine are healthy they are staying.
Unread 08-15-2011, 06:36 PM

I read tons of posts and did my research before deciding that I really wanted to keep my ovaries even though I was peri-menopausal. Ovaries continue to produce hormones after menopause so that was my deciding factor. My doctor wanted them out as a preventative measure. I disagreed and he quit hassling me when told him that we should take my arms, my legs and my breasts as a preventative to cancer while we were at it. If you don't have any ovarian cancer or any other risk, this might be something you would definitely want to consider.
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:11 PM

I kept mine. Very happy with that decision, no meds! Feels like total freedom to take not one pill anymore.

I had fibroids on mine, removed twice, so it was "my choice", as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register