HRT without symptoms? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HRT without symptoms? HRT without symptoms?

Unread 08-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Question - HRT without symptoms? HRT without symptoms?

I am just over a week post op, DvH, BSO. My doctor decided against putting me on a hormone patch during surgery, as I have a history of headaches and high estrogen levels, so he wanted to let things sort of level out before starting HRT. I'm reading a lot of posts of people having a menopause symptoms post-op..and I realize everyone is different, but I haven't had any. I see my GYN next week, at which time he's said that he'll be prescribing HRT. My question is, does anyone have a regimine she'd recommend, or one to steer clear of. I've been doing some homework, but would certainly welcome any first hand accounts prior to my upcoming appointment.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Re: HRT without symptoms?

RI felt great until 3 weeks post op before the hot flashes,night sweats and insomnia kicked in. Tried to just deal with it but they got worse and I had to give into hrt. Called my dr and he faxed a prescription for me..but that was me. I am taking premarin and it has controlled the hot flashes and night sweats but the insomnia is awful. I go Monday for my six week and plan on asking about options. Good luck...
Unread 08-19-2011, 01:04 PM

cindi hb

Like you said...everyone is different...so it is hard to know what you will feel like post hysterectomy. It is great that you feel good so far.
Usually estrogen reserves in the body tissues are used up by about 6 weeks post op and if you're going to have symptoms you'll probably feel them about then or before.
After my hyster, it took only two weeks for my hot flushes to start...and I kept one ovary. By 6 weeks I knew I could not do it without HRT. I had the works!!...insomnia, anxiety, mood swings, besides hot flashes and night sweats.

Good luck with your post op visit. If you plan on using HRT my suggestion would be to use bioidentical transdermal HRT. There are many different kinds. Your GYN will have their own favs. Having a hx of headaches you may have to try a few different types to find what will work best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-20-2011, 07:50 AM

Thank you both for your input....very helpful!
Unread 08-20-2011, 11:36 AM

I don't know if you are overweight or not but I am which has kept me from having any significant menopause symptoms and my hyst was 2 years ago. I am not on HRT at all as my doc didn't think I would need it due to the extra fat.

This is the only benefit I have ever found to being chubby!!
Unread 08-20-2011, 11:45 AM
Smile - HRT without symptoms? Re: HRT without symptoms?

OH MY GOSH...I had no idea being heavy could have such benefits, lol! NO one has ever put that spin on it for me! I'm so glad to have gotten this post prior to my appointment next week...I'll definitely be bringing THAT question up to him!! Thanks for your input!!!
Unread 08-20-2011, 12:29 PM

Pepermintpeggy

Great point to make!! Estrogen is stored in fat tissue. The more fat the more estrogen reserves.
My weight is low and that is probably why I ran out of estrogen so quickly after my surgery. And if I lose weight I have to increase my ERT dose.
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:16 PM

Well....at my 2 week post op, I was pretty exhausted, which was my GYN's main focus, and he never brought up HRT. He did ask about night sweats, hot flashes, and headaches. He decided to give me an rx for Ambien CR and said to take it for a week and IF I woke up in themiddle of the night while taking it, then that component was probably hormone related and he'd have me start the patch. SO..that was a few days ago...the Ambien CR takes awhile to kick in, but I haven't woken up during thenight (aside from a couple of pain episodes). The bizarre thing is that I've started to run a temp before I go to bed....this started the day AFTER I finished antibiotics. I did mention it to the doc..prior to Hyst, I ran a fever 3-4 days before each cycle...so who knows what's happening...just wondering if an elevated temp goes along with night sweats or hot flashes (neither of which I THINK I'm having...ha ha). THANKS

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register