surgery date 8/24/2011 scared to death looking for some support abd experiences | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery date 8/24/2011 scared to death looking for some support abd experiences surgery date 8/24/2011 scared to death looking for some support abd experiences

Unread 08-20-2011, 11:01 PM
surgery date 8/24/2011 scared to death looking for some support abd experiences

Hi I am new to this site but so glad I found it. I am 26 and having a robotic assisted total vaginal hysterectomy. Sorry I am not to familiar with the abbreviations. I have had constant female problems since I was 18. That's when I lost my left tube and ovary because of a torsion. This past year alone have had 2 surgeries to remove ovarian cyst on the right side and hospitalized 4 times because of heavy bleeding and pain. Now I have an abnormal ovarian mass. Plus sever endometriosis, adnomyosis and have been told I have a cemented pelvis. My gyn said that ovary was so damaged he didnt think he could save it this time. I am tired of having these problems and scared because I was told it could be cancerous. My gyn also informed me once he looked around my pelvis there was a very good chance it could turn into a abdominal hysterectomy. I am scared to death about going into surgical menopause, the results of the mass, pain post op and how it will effect the rest of my life. I had asked to go on hrt but was told it depends on the results of the mass and what is found. I would appreciate any experiences that any one wants to share. Like how long they were in the hospital, how bad the pain was, if there on hrt, if they like hrt, what kind of post op pain management they had? I am also a little scared because I have read that some women have had a really bad sore lower back after the procedure. It scares me because I have one herniated disk and two bulging disk in my lower back. I guess I am just nervous and scared all the way around. Thank you so much for reading thus very ling post and any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks again,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2011, 08:13 AM
Re: surgery date 8/24/2011 scared to death looking for some support abd experiences

Hi Swimmer. We're having surgery on the same day. I too, had an ovary and fallopian tube taken out when I was 20yrs. old. My ovary had a fibriod tumor on it, causing heavy bleeding. Now, I have a polyp on my other ovary, and also have fibroids on my uterus. Recently i had a biospy done on the polyp, and luckily it wasen;t cancerous. This surgery we're about undertake is a big deal. All I can say is we need to focus on how good we're going to feel when it;s all over. Knowing I won;t have to deal with heavy periods any longer is reason enough I know I'm making the right decision on having this surgery. I'm also concerned about hrt, but my sister who had a hysterectomy two yrs ago was telling me her gyn said hrt is so much safer these days. My sister has a patch for hrt, and it's working out very well. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery. Everything will work out, HUGS!
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Re: surgery date 8/24/2011 scared to death looking for some support abd experiences

Hi Swimmer,
My surgery date is also August 24, and my nerves are really starting to set in. I have experienced heavy periods for many years. I had the endometrial ablation done about 2 years ago and that did not help me at all so after 2 more years of going through these terrible periods, I finally decided that this is what I needed to do. I also am scared to death! I will be sending prayers and hugs your way! I wish you the best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2011, 02:45 PM

Everyone has to sign a consent saying that the surgery may turn into an abdominal hysterectomy. I had the DaVinci but of course was told they may have to take my ovaries and/or cervix if there was anything wrong with them and I may end up with the bikini cut instead depending on what they found when they went in.

It's normal to have these feelings, I think most of us did/do. I was in the hospital for about 30 hours total from pre op prepping to discharge. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy, there is pain involved, after all it is surgery! My hospital stay had a couple of hicups because my Dr forgot to consent to having my cath removed, it kept getting kinked which caused additional pain and was rubbing on my bladder which was really uncomfortable. I was unable to get up and move around due to it so that caused a lot of gas to build up and that is really painful. I finally got the cath removed around noon, (I had been asking since 3am) but they had to get the consent from my Dr and they kept saying she was not returning the calls. Once the cath was out, I was up and walking, I did end up needing some gas meds because the pain had gotten so bad it was keeping me from walking or drinking or anything. Once those kicked in I was up walking again. BTW, burping counts as "passing gas" so when they ask you and if you have been burping say yes because that counts!! In hindsight my pain control was better at night than during the day, but there were a lot of factors going into that, just make sure and tell the nurses what you are feeling and don't let them blow you off. Don't be afraid to ask for gas pills or pain meds if you need them, I had to ask several times for the pills before I finally got them, but you know what they say about the squeaky wheel!

I felt I had my pain under better control at home with my own pain meds than I did at the hospital. Once I got home in my own house, I took two Percocet and a Valium I was good. I also took a couple of gas pills right when I got home and two stool softeners even though I had not had really any food since the Sunday before my operation.

When you see your Dr next make sure and ask them to write for you to have a tummy binder, make sure the consent is there to have the cath removed, ask if he/she will be doing rounds the next day so you know if you can expect to see him/her or not. Mine didn't come do rounds the next day, which I found to be odd. Once I got home I was a lot more calm, the hospital was noisy, stressful and a bit crazy at times as every bed on the floor was full and I think the nurses were under staffed.

I think the more you are aware of going into it, the better you will feel about it. Everyone has a different experience, some are much better than mine and some are worse. I think mine is somewhere in the middle. You will get through it and be fine! This site has a lot of information, tips and hints, don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask your Dr a ton of questions too, it will help you feel at ease with the process. Good luck!
Unread 08-21-2011, 02:46 PM

My surgery is in November and I've sufferef back pain including an L5 that is mostly gone andL4 bulging and leh and hip pain. I am worried actual procedure is going to cause problems simply bc I will be on my back so long. I plan to talk to my doctor about positioning as a head down position will cause major pain afterwards for me. Talk to doc about positioning. Hopefullly the pain meds will keep us comfortable from back pain, too. Let me know if you get specific ideas. QUOTE=swimmer1521;3556218]Hi I am new to this site but so glad I found it. I am 26 and having a robotic assisted total vaginal hysterectomy. Sorry I am not to familiar with the abbreviations. I have had constant female problems since I was 18. That's when I lost my left tube and ovary because of a torsion. This past year alone have had 2 surgeries to remove ovarian cyst on the right side and hospitalized 4 times because of heavy bleeding and pain. Now I have an abnormal ovarian mass. Plus sever endometriosis, adnomyosis and have been told I have a cemented pelvis. My gyn said that ovary was so damaged he didnt think he could save it this time. I am tired of having these problems and scared because I was told it could be cancerous. My gyn also informed me once he looked around my pelvis there was a very good chance it could turn into a abdominal hysterectomy. I am scared to death about going into surgical menopause, the results of the mass, pain post op and how it will effect the rest of my life. I had asked to go on hrt but was told it depends on the results of the mass and what is found. I would appreciate any experiences that any one wants to share. Like how long they were in the hospital, how bad the pain was, if there on hrt, if they like hrt, what kind of post op pain management they had? I am also a little scared because I have read that some women have had a really bad sore lower back after the procedure. It scares me because I have one herniated disk and two bulging disk in my lower back. I guess I am just nervous and scared all the way around. Thank you so much for reading thus very ling post and any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks again,[/quote]
Unread 08-21-2011, 02:46 PM

Oh, I am on HRT, have been for over a year now. I have a bio identical compound cream that works great for me. There are a lot of HRT options out there though so I can't speak to any of the others.
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:07 AM

Hi Swimmer! I'm sorry that you are dealing with this and that all this is on your mind. I had many worries and concerns in the pre op stage too, I think that is normal. Don't worry, really. Take your concerns to your doctor (s), and get your questions answered. If your surgeon decides that an abdominal is best for you, then you can feel good knowing that your doctor will provide you with the very best care that you need.

That being said, make sure you have a 2nd opinion with a gyn oncologist--- those guys & gals are the rockstars that you want on your team.

I had abd incision, and my gyn and my gyn onc performed my hyst together. Having the abd incision meant they could really "look around," and as it turned out, that was a blessing in my case. I stayed the day of my surgery, plus 2 nights in the castle. By the 3rd day, I was ready to go home. No HRT as of yet, still navigating that jungle, and it's been 8 mos.

It will be ok. If you have any other questions or concerns that I can help with, feel free to pm or just post. These Sisters here are the best and they have a great deal of knowledge and experience that they kindly share. I am saying a prayer right now for all my Sisters. Love, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer1521 View Post
Hi I am new to this site but so glad I found it. I am 26 and having a robotic assisted total vaginal hysterectomy. Sorry I am not to familiar with the abbreviations. I have had constant female problems since I was 18. That's when I lost my left tube and ovary because of a torsion. This past year alone have had 2 surgeries to remove ovarian cyst on the right side and hospitalized 4 times because of heavy bleeding and pain. Now I have an abnormal ovarian mass. Plus sever endometriosis, adnomyosis and have been told I have a cemented pelvis. My gyn said that ovary was so damaged he didnt think he could save it this time. I am tired of having these problems and scared because I was told it could be cancerous. My gyn also informed me once he looked around my pelvis there was a very good chance it could turn into a abdominal hysterectomy. I am scared to death about going into surgical menopause, the results of the mass, pain post op and how it will effect the rest of my life. I had asked to go on hrt but was told it depends on the results of the mass and what is found. I would appreciate any experiences that any one wants to share. Like how long they were in the hospital, how bad the pain was, if there on hrt, if they like hrt, what kind of post op pain management they had? I am also a little scared because I have read that some women have had a really bad sore lower back after the procedure. It scares me because I have one herniated disk and two bulging disk in my lower back. I guess I am just nervous and scared all the way around. Thank you so much for reading thus very ling post and any comments or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks again,
Unread 08-22-2011, 03:57 PM

Hi Swimmer,

I am 31 years old and have TAH/BSO on the 16th. I know you are scared. I was scared up until I was put to sleep. I wanted to have a davinci method, but was told because of the size of my uterus and the dermoids on my ovaries, the abdomen was the better option. She needed to look around to check for cancer. I was released from the castle on Thursday. The day of surgery, I was out of it. I don't remember anything. The second day, I was up and walking around. I did have pain when I moved. I cannot sleep on my back. I had a binder and slept on my sides with pillows in front and behind me. The gas pains were worst than the surgery, so make sure you ask for gas meds. My doctor didn't consider belching to be passing gas. So don't be shy. Let it rip. Her words, not mines. I am now at home recovering beautifully, being pampered by everyone. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 08-22-2011, 09:08 PM

I had a daVinci on 7/1. Best decision I ever made. I had an enlarged uterus and fibroids. I suffered from severe bleeding. It was bad enough that I required a blood transfusion of 4 pints two weeks pre-op and that brought my level up to 10.9, still not where it should be but better than 6.1! The most uncomfortable things for me were: not being able to get out of bed, the catheter didn't hurt, but was VERY uncomfortable, felt like I wasn't emptying my bladder and wanted to just pee so bad I could barely stand it, the pain was definitely there, but not for awhile post-op since I still had the anesthesia in me. Also, the #2's post-op were "interesting". Worse than the first one after I gave birth (and I had a HUGE episiotomy!) BM's are still not where they were, but I'm getting there. Highly recommend having gas-x and stool softeners on hand. Take them, even if you don't think you need them. Much better having a loose stool than a hard one! Also recommend a "band" of some sort to help "hold" things in place. Things will be a bit jiggly for awhile. Don't let anyone flop on the bed or couch! Ouch! Rest, rest, rest. I'm still needing to get plenty of it. I do every chance I get. Listen to your body, it'll tell you if you've done too much.
Unread 08-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Thank you all so much for your response and advice. Especially sharing your experiences. I am kinda glad I will be going through it at the same time as my other sisters. I will be praying that ya'lls surgery goes well and a a speedy uneventful recovery! I did talk with my doc yesterday and asked a tons of questions. Which were all answered and put me a little more at ease. About the back problems he told me to tell the nurses anesthesiologist as well about putting pillows under my legs during recover and possibly rolling me on my side. I am nervous but know this is the right decision. You all will be in my prayers and thoughts!! Thank you again... hugs. I will keep you all updated I hope you will do the same;;

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register