Questions about Surgery (vaginal packing, type of anesthesia) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about Surgery (vaginal packing, type of anesthesia) Questions about Surgery (vaginal packing, type of anesthesia)

Unread 08-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Questions about Surgery (vaginal packing, type of anesthesia)

OK! I just love this forum! I have found so many helpful hints and useful information to put to good use before my Vaginal Hysterectomy on Monday morning, August 22. I have a couple more questions now!

Vaginal Packing-- This sounds SO awful, but the pre-op nurse said they do this and then have to come in at some point and remove the packing. That sounds even worse. She assured me it really wasn't painful but you could feel the pressure! When do they remove this? Directly after surgery? The next day before I come home?

Anesthesia-- The pre-op nurse also mentioned that I'd need to keep in mind which type of anesthesia I preferred. I could have a spinal and then get IV sedation, or go for general anesthesia. I had no idea I would get to/have to make this decision. This is quite overwhelming! Any thoughts or experience on this?

Thanks in advance, sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Re: Questions about Surgery (vaginal packing, type of anesthesia)

My vaginal packing came out before I left the recovery room(I don't remember that at all).For anesthesia I had the IV sedation with the general anesthesia.I had the spinal twice in the past and didn't care for it at all.With the spinal I was groggy for 2 days afterwards.After I had the sedation meds in my IV I don't remember much until I was in "my" room for the night.I had no pain the next day.Catheter and IV came out in less than 24 hours and I was up walking around.My hospital stay was about 24 hours.I am 6 weeks post op and have had virtually no pain or bleeding since my hyster date.

Best wishes and hugs sent your way!!
Unread 08-21-2011, 10:52 AM

My packing was taken out the next morning and did not hurt at all. As for anesthesia the last thing I remeber is the dr asking for my right arm and then waking up in recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-21-2011, 02:16 PM

If I had the choice, which I didn't I would choose the general over the spinal. I had a bad experience with the spinal the last time I had one, the Dr hit a nerve going in, OUCH! Then after they took it out I had back pain and headaches for a couple weeks because of it, so for me general is the way to go. Have you ever had a spinal? If so, that will usually dictate whether or not you are willing to have another one.
Unread 08-21-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the opinions and advice! I haven't had a spinal, but I had two epidurals with my kiddos-- wondering if that is close enough to the same thing???

I know there is a risk anytime you go under for surgery, but I am definitely leaning toward going with the general anesthesia.

My nerves are growing more and more each hour. I am gonna take my little girl to a church event tonight, then go buy a book or some magazines to read in recovery, then probably pack my bag. We have to be at the "castle" at 6AM (originally thought it was even earlier!), but it takes about 35-45 minutes to get there, so we plan to leave around 5AM. I doubt I'm gonna get much rest tonight!
Unread 08-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Good luck with everything.
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:25 PM

My packing came out the next morning. Wasn't bad.

I would choose general personally.

I know you are a bundle of nerves. I was too. Hopefully you will have a peaceful night and morning. Best wishes to you.
Unread 08-21-2011, 08:38 PM

Epidual is pretty much a spinal, which is why I would go with the general! Good luck, once you get in there it all goes so fast, next thing you know, you are waking up in recovery with nurses talking to you. They will probably tell you something funny that you said coming out of the meds, for me it was "are my boobs showing?", the guy a couple beds down from me, when they wheeled him in tried to take his gown off twice!
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:41 PM

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=450870

Here's a link to my TVH story.

Don't worry, you will do great, the packing doesn't hurt at all (it just feels weird)

I had a spinal and a general. Glad I made the decision to do that. I moved my legs just fine when I woke up and the first 24 hours I was totally pain free. (except for gas)

Best wishes!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register