When should HRT start? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When should HRT start? When should HRT start?

Unread 08-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Question - When should HRT start? When should HRT start?

Ok, I am less than a week post-op from dvH both ovaries removed. So when should HRT begin? I have read some posts that say patients woke up with Hormone Replacement patch on and I had heard that your body had some stored Estrogen etc. so you didn't need the HRT right away. Now I am confused. Any information that can help clear some of this up for me would be helpful. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Re: When should HRT start?

I did not wake up with a patch on. My Dr. waited until I started experience signs of menapause. He said that not everyone needs them and therefore he waits to see if his patients will. A word of advise, if you start experiences them don't wait to long to call your Dr. I thought I could work thru them on my own...boy was I wrong and I waited longer then I should have, now I am waiting for them to kick in. Miserable!!!! Take care.
Unread 08-22-2011, 07:12 PM

I am hoping that is what my Doctor was doing. I really wasn't planning on a Hyst. at all and so hadn't discussed what to do about HRT. We had planned on just one ovary and large cyst removal, but that was not the case. So we didn't have a plan in place for HRT. I am 45 and figure that I am going to need to do HRT at least for a while. Can you tell me what your first symptoms were? I know everyone is different, but I am just curious what your experience was like. I don't want to "wait too long". I don't know when I will be seeing my Doctor again. Called today for a post-op appt. but they said my doctor was out of the office this week and they would have her nurse call me (nurse never called me back). So I will try again tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your words of wisdom! I hope to follow them to the letter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2011, 07:36 PM

I am 46 and had a TAH BSO. My menopause symptoms started about 14 days post op, and steadily increased in frequency and intensity. I had hot flushes, night sweats, and a lot of trouble sleeping at night. It also felt like I had a wool blanket over my head. I started having hot flashes about 20 to 25 times per day. I finally called the doc and said HELP! She put me on ERT - Estoidal 0.5 mg dose, (lowest dose) (a pill) - and it got me back on track within 24 hours. I now sleep at night which is a major plus! My hot flushes are down to about 5 to 8 a day. While that may seem like a lot it is way better than 25! And they are not as intense.

From everything I read, you do not have to rush this decision. I wanted to wait and see what happened. When I first started out, I though - hey this isn't too bad I can handle it. But it got really bad to where it interfered with my quality of life and my job. I could not think straight and that is not good with a technical job.

But, we are both close in age, so my guess is you will be similar to me. In addition, my doc said that I was too early for menopause and felt it was better for my health.

Make the decision that is right for you. It is a jungle out there, but with the help of your doc you will come to the right choice. Good luck...

Unread 08-22-2011, 08:43 PM

Wow! 20-25 a day. Don't want to go there. So it sounds like I do have some time. Thanks for your expertise. Am sure I will have lots more questions as the days go by. Thanks for the help with this one.
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:02 AM

I started off with the hot flashes, which at first were mild but increased in intesity every day. I figured I could deal with them. Then I started having night sweats and insomnia (about 4 days after the hot flashes started). Then the body aches kicked and I was miserable. My family couldn't stand me. My boyfriend took up residents in the spare bed room because I kept our room like a meat locker and tossed and turned all night. I finally figured out I was not going to be able to handle all this on my own. I placed a call to my Dr and she gave me Premarin. Hope it all works out for you.
Unread 08-23-2011, 01:02 PM

my doc put me on estradiol 1mg about aweek later. don't know wat i would do with out them..lol my frist hot falsh was awful. it hit me all at once. so bad it stemed up my sunglasses lol...
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:09 PM

I didn't wake up with a patch on, but my doctor did start me on an oral estrogen the same day of surgery. My doctor told me that it was absolutely necessary for me to start it early because of my age. The younger you are, the higher risk you have of having other health problems if you do not have estrogen.

Even with the low does of Premarin that I started in the hospital, I had night sweats like no other. I had a horrible time sleeping and I was so emotional, I didn't even know myself.

After a couple of dosage adjustments, I have no symptoms at all!!!

I know this isn't a decision to enter into lightly, and everyone is different. I hope you can make an educated decision on whether or not to start it. Just keep in mind that if you do decided to have HRT, it is kind of a trial and error type of thing. Different things work for different people and sometimes it can take some time to find what is just right for you. Best of luck though and I hope you are feeling fabulous!!!!!
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:31 PM

I went to my first post op appt 5 days after my surgery. By that time the hotflashes and crying had started. My doc put me on 1mg of Estrodiol once a day to start. I think it just depends on your doc and and when your menopause kicks in and how bad it is.
Unread 08-28-2011, 03:38 PM

Ladies,
This is EXACTLY what I needed to read! I'm almost 8 weeks post op and these hot flashes (20-30 a day) and not sleeping is really getting old. I thought I could do this naturally and then waited until I got the clearance to start exercising, hoping that would help. Well, it hasn't and I wasn't sure how "bad" needed to be to call the DR. I have hot flashes all through the night and it just keeps me awake. I can handle them during the day, but I'm exhausted at this point and want to sleep longer than a total of 5-6 hours a night. I'll be calling my DR tomorrow morning. I'm just concerned because me mom had both breast cancer and heart disease. I'm sure my DR will prescribed the right one for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register