Vaginal Hysterectomy Thursday - scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Hysterectomy Thursday - scared! Vaginal Hysterectomy Thursday - scared!

Unread 08-22-2011, 08:47 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy Thursday - scared!

Hi Ladies
Having surgery this Thursday. I am terrified to say the least but know this very necessary with all the cervical and uterus issues I have had. can you tell me is the recovery REALLY painful??? I kinda figure after recovery from 2 vaginal birth with major epsiodotomies this shouldn't be as bad at least I keep telling myself that. Any advice would be sooo welcome. I have never had any surgical procedures and feel like I am being a big baby and over worried but as a mom, I just do.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Re: Vaginal Hysterectomy Thursday - scared!

I hadmy vaginal hysterectomy on July 7th.I was on pain meds daily for almost 2 years due to the pain of adenomyosis.I had my hyster at noon that day and took 2 pain pills before midnight.After I left the hospital I took ibuprofen for a few days.My recovery has virtually pain free.I wish you the best.Sending hugs and well wishes your way.
Unread 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM

Thanks Jenn I have Adenomyosis as well mine comes and goes with soreness bloating etc..... looking forward to just getting ridding anything that will make it stop. How long until you were up and about? I'm not planning of jogging or anything...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Hi, well do not necessarily plan to be off pain meds so quickly, we all heal differently and you will only know once the surgery is over. I am 14 days post op and feel better than I thought I would at this point. I am still on pain meds but only 2 times a day and hoping to be off them by the end of this week. Plan for a long recovery as you will have hundreds of internal stitches that will need to heal. I too had a vaginal hysterectomy and my doctor said no returning to work for 8 weeks.NO bending what so ever, lifting etc.... for at least 6 weeks and then after I was told I will have to be very careful so as not to tear any internal stitches
Unread 08-22-2011, 09:05 PM

Lord the thought of stitches makes me woozy...lol my said recovery can be about 3-4 weeks (everyone being different) no "fun" for 8 weeks (I can tell ya right now my poor hubby will be waiting longer...lol..shhh don't tell him). I am hoping I can go back to work part time after 3 weeks I don't have a strenous job but we will just have to see how I do, I don't want to push. thanks so much for the input it's great to hear from others going thru the same thing.
Unread 08-22-2011, 09:39 PM

Well my doctor told me I was kind of a miracle case with my recovery time.I was an avid walker before my surgery.Walking 5 miles or more a day(I think that may have helped).I was walking about 2 miles per day at about 2 weeks post op.My doctor only performs vaginal hysterectomies and he said many people do not bounce back as quick as I did.As Ellie said we all do heal differently.My advice is to listen to your body.If you overdo it,your body will certainly let you know.

When I went for my 6 week post op visit,I was told that I still have quite a few stitches left.So yes I do still have to becareful that I do not strain myself too much.
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Vaginal Hysterectomy Thursday - scared!

I certainly plan on taking it easy for sure...thanks for the advice I'll keep you all posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn231983 View Post
Well my doctor told me I was kind of a miracle case with my recovery time.I was an avid walker before my surgery.Walking 5 miles or more a day(I think that may have helped).I was walking about 2 miles per day at about 2 weeks post op.My doctor only performs vaginal hysterectomies and he said many people do not bounce back as quick as I did.As Ellie said we all do heal differently.My advice is to listen to your body.If you overdo it,your body will certainly let you know.

When I went for my 6 week post op visit,I was told that I still have quite a few stitches left.So yes I do still have to becareful that I do not strain myself too much.
Unread 08-23-2011, 06:58 AM

had my surgery six weeks ago today. the pain was minimal, except when i developed a low grade infection, which cleared really soon after starting the 3 day course the dr prescribed.. used prescription pain meds for only about two days, then used motrin for an unrelated issue, which of course took care of any soreness i might have had from my surgery.

completely healed now, have done the "deed" and did fine. no bleeding or pain associated with it all.

all will hopefully go as planned with my prayers and good vibes i'm sending.
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM

Ivy thanks for your insight on the "deed"...lol that was my next question. I pray I do OK with this just so many unknowns at this point. I've got some great books to keep me relaxed while resting, food is all prepared for the family so now I just wait for the big day. thanks again!
Unread 08-26-2011, 05:12 PM

Hi Ladies
Had my surgery yesterday...very sore and my bladder feels crampy but that is pretty much it. My lower back is pretty sore and wonder if anyone has insight on that. Just taking it easy and taking my meds as needed. Thank you for your support!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register