Nervous--I'm diabetic and having hysto | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nervous--I'm diabetic and having hysto Nervous--I'm diabetic and having hysto

Unread 08-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Nervous--I'm diabetic and having hysto

Hi everyone--this is my first post since finding this site yesterday. I am scheduled to have my hysto November 15 and will be doing the Da Vinci robot Sorry I don't know all the acronyms for what is happening yet.
I have been diabetic for years. A not very well controlled diabetic. I fall off the wagon on a regular basis. I have started my meds again---I know I know I'm bad--but it is just one of those "head in the sand" kind of things.
So--anyone else diabetic? I have 2.5 months to get my blood sugar under control which is not long. I am type 2, last A1c was in the 9 range.
I have dodged the bullet for so many years with my diabetes with being free of major complications, but am afraid my luck may have run out.
Any words of wisdom out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Re: Nervous--I'm diabetic and having hysto

I have diabetes, too. I was diagnosed back in May. I was admitted for pneumonia and my sugar was sky high on their bloodwork. My A1C was 11!!!! In just under 3 months, I was able to bring my A1C down to 7.4. I'm not perfect and sometimes eat foods I'm not supposed to....But my numbers are pretty good these days.

Living with diabetes sucks, but please take your meds, eat right and exercise. You will feel so much better!

As for the hysterectomy, I did just fine. Today is 2 weeks and I'm feeling great!
Unread 08-23-2011, 09:10 AM

I am not considered diabetic, but my recent A1C of 6.4 scared me!
I have lost 20 pounds by eating the right foods and counting my carb, sugar, fat, and salt intake.

I got rid of all candy and desserts,sweets. Replaced them with healthier snacks and sugarless candies (for those weak moments).

I rarely eat fried foods or fast foods.

I will go to a restaurant only once a week and I am somewhat careful with what I order. I read the the nutrition information first.

I am in to portion control.

I exercise everyday by getting up at 5:00 AM and getting to the gym by 6:15, ready to do the treadmill. I do the treadmill for a full hour and do not leave it until I have burned 500 calories. I go to work after my exercise. I do this 7 days a week.

It has not been too bad, and now I have energy and fit into a smaller size.

Diabetes is an awful disease. Blindness, kidney failure, diabetic neuropathy (tingling in your hands and feet) numbness, itching of the ears and scalp, and later amputation of your arms and legs, hands and feet are reasons to control what you eat and exercise.

Please take your meds until you can control your eating and get some exercise.

I use "Myfitnesspal.com" to help keep track of my carbs, sugars, and fats.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
Hi everyone--this is my first post since finding this site yesterday. I am scheduled to have my hysto November 15 and will be doing the Da Vinci robot Sorry I don't know all the acronyms for what is happening yet.
I have been diabetic for years. A not very well controlled diabetic. I fall off the wagon on a regular basis. I have started my meds again---I know I know I'm bad--but it is just one of those "head in the sand" kind of things.
So--anyone else diabetic? I have 2.5 months to get my blood sugar under control which is not long. I am type 2, last A1c was in the 9 range.
I have dodged the bullet for so many years with my diabetes with being free of major complications, but am afraid my luck may have run out.
Any words of wisdom out there?
Part of the reason that your surgery is so far away (November) is that with diabetes, the surgery will probably take longer to heal. I am not sure how diabetes effects the actual surgery, but I am sure that there may be complications to consider when deciding to operate. The surgeon is hoping that you will lose weight for the surgery and get your blood sugars lower.

Ask your doctor.
Unread 08-23-2011, 07:31 PM

Hi malarkey, I too am Diabetic...type 1 for 25 years now and 5 days post-op (TAH) ...the best advice I can give you is to follow your Dr's orders the best you can, eat right, and keep your sugars under control. I know how hard it is but it is very important in your healing process. My Diabetes is usually under pretty good control but the last few months with all the medical problems and meds it has been very hard trying to keep my sugars down so I understand the worry. Now that the surgery is done I am already finding my sugars to be easier to control, so I am hoping I heal well. Just remember you are in control...don't let Diabetes control you and lessen your life. I wish you the best of luck and God Bless!
Unread 08-24-2011, 03:16 PM

I have been type 2 for about 10 years. My sugars were running in the high 100's-low 200's prior to surgery. I, too, bury my head in the sand.

Along with my weight(well over 300) and high blood pressure, the diabetes just added another concern to my surgery.

I had 3 months to prepare for surgery (my choice, I don't make fast decisions) and during that time I started a strict exercise routine of water aerobics and did watch what I ate but I was no angel, trust me.

The morning of surgery my sugar was 113 or 114 but part of that was because I had done the bowel prep 2 days before and had been on liquids only on the day before.

I also had a hernia repaired at the time of my hyst.

I am telling you all of this to give you an idea of the risk I was facing. The good news is I had no problem healing at all. I was in the hospital 6 days and they kept me on a very strict diet and when I got home, I didn't have much appetite so all of this helped as well.

Just do your very best to get your sugar under control and do some form of exercise. Your doctor and the medical staff are well trained in dealing with diabetics and surgery. Of course, everyone is different but I wanted to share with you that my recovery went great and I had no complications or infections.

I wish you the best!
Unread 08-24-2011, 03:29 PM

Keep up the good work!
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziq55 View Post
Part of the reason that your surgery is so far away (November) is that with diabetes, the surgery will probably take longer to heal. I am not sure how diabetes effects the actual surgery, but I am sure that there may be complications to consider when deciding to operate. The surgeon is hoping that you will lose weight for the surgery and get your blood sugars lower.

Ask your doctor.
First, the reason it is November is because that was the first date the robot was available. It is the only robot in 200 mile radius, so it is very hard to get in to. Second, I am diabetic NOT because I am overweight, but because my pancreas has very limited usage. I think a lot of people think that diabetes is due to being overweight, lazy, and eating bon-bons. I can assure you that is not the case. I am 5'7" tall and 150 lbs---no matter how much weight I would lose I would still be diabetic. So please don't make that assumption.

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I have a lab appt on Monday and seeing my endo on Friday next week. I am going to ask him to go on insulin for the next 2.5 months so i can keep tight reign on my numbers. I have been very successful in the past with insulin and would keep my A1c at 5.5 Ever since I went on oral meds I have not been able to keep my a1c under 7 and I tend to **forget**to take my meds. I would never forget my insulin and I suppose it was due to it being so regimented.
I'll check back in in a couple weeks and let you know how I am doing.
Michele
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
First, the reason it is November is because that was the first date the robot was available. It is the only robot in 200 mile radius, so it is very hard to get in to. Second, I am diabetic NOT because I am overweight, but because my pancreas has very limited usage. I think a lot of people think that diabetes is due to being overweight, lazy, and eating bon-bons. I can assure you that is not the case. I am 5'7" tall and 150 lbs---no matter how much weight I would lose I would still be diabetic. So please don't make that assumption.
OOPS! My bad. I am so sorry, I apologize.
Good luck to you.
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermintpeggy View Post
I have been type 2 for about 10 years. My sugars were running in the high 100's-low 200's prior to surgery. I, too, bury my head in the sand.

Along with my weight(well over 300) and high blood pressure, the diabetes just added another concern to my surgery.

I had 3 months to prepare for surgery (my choice, I don't make fast decisions) and during that time I started a strict exercise routine of water aerobics and did watch what I ate but I was no angel, trust me.

The morning of surgery my sugar was 113 or 114 but part of that was because I had done the bowel prep 2 days before and had been on liquids only on the day before.

I also had a hernia repaired at the time of my hyst.

I am telling you all of this to give you an idea of the risk I was facing. The good news is I had no problem healing at all. I was in the hospital 6 days and they kept me on a very strict diet and when I got home, I didn't have much appetite so all of this helped as well.

Just do your very best to get your sugar under control and do some form of exercise. Your doctor and the medical staff are well trained in dealing with diabetics and surgery. Of course, everyone is different but I wanted to share with you that my recovery went great and I had no complications or infections.

I wish you the best!
Peppermint--I was very encouraged by your post! Thanks for sharing your experience. You were in the hospital a long time--is that because of the hernia repair too? Surprisingly my dr is telling me I could be home the same day---however, I am the third surgery that morning so I doublt I will be in surgery til after noon--in recovery by 2-3 and then I am supposed to go home within 23 hours. Sounds like I will be stuck there til noon the next day.

This morning my blood sugar was 117, so maybe my numbers aren't as bad as I had thought they would be.
Have a great day--I'll talk to you soon

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register