Abdominal Hysterectomy and pain management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Hysterectomy and pain management Abdominal Hysterectomy and pain management

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Abdominal Hysterectomy and pain management

OK, so I am having a TAH on 9/6 and I am terrified that they are not going to give me enough pain killers and that I will be miserable. Someone PLEASE tell me that they make you as comfortable as possible. I had an ectopic pregnancy 3 years ago in which I had to have the same cut at my pubic line and it was a HORRIBLE recovery but I don't remember much after the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Re: Abdominal Hysterectomy and pain management

Dealing w/a history of abdominal pain from my endo, I was a bit afraid too! It's ok...

My suggestion...talk to the anesthesiologist prior to surgery. Let them know if you have a weak stomach. They can help w/that. You don't want to come out of surgery and be throwing up as being under can cause an upset stomach for some women. Even w/pain meds you will be sore---I was on Morphine directly following the hyst, then toradol for a bit (the morphine was too strong for me) and once I got home I had percoset. Ask the nurses what their advice is...one of the nurses advice for me was to take the percoset and three hours later take some advil (percoset is once every 6 hrs). The medical staff is there to help you...let them!

Honsestly, the first time I got out of bed was painful. For me, I kept thinking "this is my first day of healing and leaving my endo pain behind". It helped. You will have pain, but take it easy. Listen to your body. Healing is slow, but you CAN/WILL heal if you allow yourself!

Do whatever you can to get rid of your negative thoughts...stress is NO good for your body and will only make things worse. I realize this is easier said than done, but you must try. This is a gift to yourself!

Best wishes on your surgery! You can do this! Thoughts and prayers are w/you!
Unread 08-23-2011, 12:03 PM

I was really worried about this, too, since I have a pretty low tolerance for pain. But honestly the pain wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it would be.

When I came out of surgery, I had a "pain pump" in my IV. While I had that, for a little over 24 hours, there was never any pain worse than mild menstrual cramps and general soreness. When they took the pain pump away, the gave me injections of an anti-inflammatory (Toradol?) on a regular basis and pain pills (Percoset) when I asked for additional pain relief.

Here's a tip: Ask for pain meds *before* it gets bad. As soon as you start feeling anything more than discomfort, ring the nurse and ask for something. That way you'll stay ahead of the pain. When you go home, take your pain meds right on schedule -- even set an alarm or have somebody wake you up in the night when it's time for a pill. That helps a lot.

The first time they get you up to walk in the hospital, it will hurt quite a bit. Don't let that scare you. Every subsequent time will get easier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2011, 01:52 PM

The best advice I can give, is to stay on top of the pain, so many of us try to ween off before we are ready and then the pain seem twice as bad. If the Docs didnt want us to have it and know we need it, they wouldnt prescribe it
Hugs and prayers to you

Shari
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:28 PM

I agree with the other girls.....stay ahead of the pain. I was on Toradol injections in the hospital...they came in every 6 hours and gave me a shot. I didn't feel any pain really after the first day. Then when I got home, I had Toradol pills that I had to take every 6 hours. I had to set an alarm to make sure I took it on time. I would also alternate Motrin.
Example: Toradol at noon, Motrin at 3:00 pm, Toradol at 6:00 pm, Mortin at 9:00....helped me out A LOT!!!

I know it is scary going into this, but just remember, you are going to feel better in the long run. The pain is only temporary and as long as you stay ahead of it, you should be fine.

Best of luck to you with your surgery and recovery!!!!
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:17 PM

Torodol is like an injectable Motrin and they probably gave you Tramadol when you got home. I can not take either one as they do nothing for me and I am on another medication that prevents me from taking it. I prefer Dilaudid to take the pain away. I have been on a PCA pump with Dilaudid before the only thing about it was they didn't give me a big enough dose to take any pain away and that is what I am afraid of again.
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:22 PM

Hi, well I am from canada so do not know if it will be the same there, but here the nurses came in every 4 hours like clock work to make sure I was not in pain, they gave me regular shots in my thigh and when I went home my doctor gave me strong meds. I really have not been in pain, discomfort with mild pain, no pain meds will take away everything but really I was fine. I do not know how the states is with giving pain meds but here our health care system is free( well we pay higher taxes but it is worth it)
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM

OUCH, I would never let someone come in and shoot me in the thigh every 4 hours, that's what IV's are for!!!! You are one tough chic!!
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:33 PM

I hardly felt anything, less than a slight pinch, I was so out of it It really did not hurt.
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBS View Post
OUCH, I would never let someone come in and shoot me in the thigh every 4 hours, that's what IV's are for!!!! You are one tough chic!!

They gave me my shots in the rear!!! It hurt, but it was worth it once the drugs kicked in!! I had some bruised butt cheeks for quite awhile though!!! They say that the shots last longer than the IV delivery system.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register