Abdominal Hysterectomy and pain management - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Hysterectomy and pain management Abdominal Hysterectomy and pain management

Unread 08-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Re: Abdominal Hysterectomy and pain management

That's because it sticks in the muscle and takes longer to absorb and wash out of your system. I still don't think I could take it, I should be on the PCA and get the meds every 10 min anyways so that should last long enough for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2011, 04:26 PM

I had pain meds every 2 hrs but I wish I would have had a pain pump like some others have had. I thought I would have that, it would have been easier for me and the poor nurses. I had Torodol, in between I had Dilaudid (sorry I have no idea how to spell either of those) and they started cutting back the doses by morning time so I could get up and walk around and not be so out of it.

I was sore, I'm not going to lie and say it was a walk in the park because it wasn't for me. Between the gas pain and the surgery pain, cath problems etc I wasn't a happy camper but I got through it, came home and got myself two percoset and a valium! That put me right where I needed to be, make sure you have your pain meds already at home so there is no waiting around for them. Kinda sad I feel like I had better pain control at home, but the hospital did what they were supposed to I guess. My surgery was 4 hours, not the 2 that the Dr said it would be so that could be why I had so much pain, not sure. If you don't have the pump, stay ahead of the pain and buzz the nurses, that's their job so don't feel bad doing it!
Unread 08-23-2011, 04:30 PM

Hey -- whatever the pain medicine is and however it is given, TAKE IT !!! And do stay on top of the pain. There are no awards for being a pain martyr!!! You will not become addicted to anything they give you, so just take it and relax. Hope this helps. Hugs, L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2011, 04:31 PM

Dilaudid is what I had in my pain pump. Worked great, but when they took it away I got a killer headache that lasted for about 12 hours -- and nothing they gave me for pain touched that.
Unread 08-23-2011, 04:35 PM

Oh, I will def have the pump, I have already discussed it, I am just worried they won't give me the right dosage to get rid of the pain.
Unread 08-23-2011, 04:38 PM

You got the story from the ladies who experienced pain, I will give you mine. I don't remember much from after the operation but I do remember being asked what my pain level was and I lied saying it was a 5 when really it was at a 2 or 3. The nurse was setting up the morphine pump and I was afraid that they wouldn't let me have it if I told them I had so little pain. I pushed that button all night because I don't do pain and did not want to be in pain. That was my greatest fear before the operation.

The next morning, I stopped pushing the button to find out if I had any pain and told myself, at the first twinge, I was going to push that button. Well, I never had to use it at all. The nurses gave me regular tylenol every few hours but honestly, I had no pain or even discomfort if I was staying still either standing, lying, or sitting. When I got up, I did have some pulling from the incision that wasn't pleasant but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle and I am a bit wuss when it comes to pain. I even asked the doctor that night if I should be in pain and he told me to wait till the next day. Well, the next day arrived and nothing.

I just wanted to tell you my story to give you hope that you might be one of the lucky ones. It helped me to read a story where someone was not in pain after such major surgery. Then again, if you do end up having pain, make sure you are given something to handle it and keep asking until they do. The advice on not letting the pain get away on you is something to take seriously. My pre-op nurse told me that if you let it get above a 5, it gets very hard to get back down and control.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register