Cervix in or out...dont know what to do!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix in or out...dont know what to do!! Cervix in or out...dont know what to do!!

Unread 08-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Re: Cervix in or out...dont know what to do!!

Ive been trying to make the same decsion, my doc wants me to loose the cervix and tells me I dont need it. I have never had an abnormal pap either. My pre op is 2moro and I think I will be telling my doc I want to keep my cervix. The whole vaginal cuff thing terrifies me. My op is on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2011, 01:36 AM

My cervix is coming out. I had a bad pap and had a chunk of it come out already. Every time they would take out a sample of cervix and say everything would be fine, it wasn't. I don't want to go thru that again and that little voice inside my head says removing it is a good thing for me. Honestly, if it had been ok, I would leave it in. If you leave it, you don't have to worry about vaginal cuffs, orgasms or really anything else. If you take it out, you get to spend time wondering and worrying until you know for sure.
Unread 08-24-2011, 02:00 AM

I kept my cervix and ovaries. I had a 3.5 pound uterus full of fibroids and my cervix and ovaries are healthy so no need to remove them. I have not see a difference in my orgasms, which is why my md left it in. I would be very wary of a doctor saying that you don't need your cervix. Unless the doctor is a female without her cervix they cannot know how it will affect you, and even then every person is different.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM

My cervex is coming out. However, due to massive bleeding, I'm worried that I'd be part of the small percentage that would have spotting if the cervex remained. Right now, it looks l will be keeping my overies, but I have signed the paperwork stating if there was reason, they could remove them.
Unread 08-24-2011, 11:15 AM

You will find women and doctors with strong opinions on both sides of the fence! So in the end, you have to do your own research and then do what you think is right for you if you have a choice.

I didn't have a choice. I am almost 11 years post op and not one problem in site from no cervix. I no longer have uterine contractions with orgasms, but that isn't a big deal to me in the overall scheme of things. I have no sexual dysfunction concerns, no prolapse issues, vaginal moisture is just fine, etc. etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbrwneyez87 View Post
..your cervix provides secretions that lubricate your vagina. This lubrication keeps your vagina moist and "plump", and also keeps the vaginal cells healthy. Without a cervix, even with your oveties or HRT, your vagina can still get dry, thin, and weak.
While the cervix does secrete mucus, there are vaginal glands that provide vaginal moisture to keep the vagina moist and to provide lubrication for intercourse. Especially if one also retains her ovaries, vaginal moisture does not tend to be an issue regardless of the cervix. Vaginal dryness/atrophy issues tend to occur from either no hormones or hormonal imbalance following an oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries).

s
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:51 PM

I just had my pre op today with my Gyni (a female one), I discussed again with her about keeping my cervix and told her my fears of vaginal cuff. After discussion we have decided to keep my cervix as my paps have been normal and my cervix looks healthy. It will only be removed if she gets in and something looks wrong on the inside. Im keeping one ovary and having it drilled for my PCOS cysts.
Unread 08-24-2011, 10:30 PM

That's the thing with me. My cervix is healthy and I have no history of cervical cancer in my family so I just don't see why I should have it removed. I guess the only thing why I probably would is if I grow fibroids on it. And I don't think I've heard that occurring.

I will go back to my doctor and let her know that I want to keep it and hopefully everything will be fine and I won't have submit to another surgery in the future.

Thank you ladies!!!
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprincez View Post
...I have no history of cervical cancer in my family so I just don't see why I should have it removed.
As an FYI, if a woman's mother or sister had cervical cancer, she could be more likely to develop it. However, the cause of the cervical cancer will be HPV. Only about .3% cervical cancer is not caused by HPV. Thus, rather than family history for this type of cancer one should consider her HPV risk instead and make sure all testing is clear.

Quote:
I guess the only thing why I probably would is if I grow fibroids on it. And I don't think I've heard that occurring.
Actually, fibroids can and do grow on the cervix post hysterectomy! We have members and even a hostess dealing with post hysterectomy cervical fibroids!

Just food for thought as everyone makes the best decision for her!

s
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:58 AM

Wow Weiser that's eye opening. I didn't even know that. Thanks alot for the information. This all soo overwhelming but im glad I found a place where I can get support.
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:22 AM

My Dr offered me some sort of HPV test before my surgery which I declined. My paps always come back clear, I'm 40 so I'm sure if something was going on down there as far as HPV I'd have known by now. If you are unsure, maybe ask your Dr about the specific test for HPV, I don't remember what she called it though.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register