Cervix in or out...dont know what to do!! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix in or out...dont know what to do!! Cervix in or out...dont know what to do!!

Unread 08-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Re: Cervix in or out...dont know what to do!!

I had mine removed but I'm only 10 days post op.

My doc just wanted to remove everything and I suggested keeping it. I've never had abnormal paps but I did have recurrent cervicitis that was very annoying and the antibiotics that is suppose to be taken, I'm allergic to them.

So taking the cervix was my decision. I didn't feel like constantly having the discharge and itching (like a yeast infection) that couldn't be cured.

I just hope I have no issues but if I do, I'll deal with them the best I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2011, 09:29 PM

hello.I too dunno what to do about my cervix nor ovaries either.I'm 29 but I do have HPV and cervical dysplasia..I'm just worried about my sex life after my vaginal hyst which is set for september 20th.I know my right ovary is goin and so is my uterus...but yeah...I am a little scared of how this will effect my sex life hehe
Unread 08-25-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val23 View Post
hello.I too dunno what to do about my cervix nor ovaries either.I'm 29 but I do have HPV and cervical dysplasia..I'm just worried about my sex life after my vaginal hyst which is set for september 20th.I know my right ovary is goin and so is my uterus...but yeah...I am a little scared of how this will effect my sex life hehe
If you have HPV your Dr will probably take your cervix along with everything else that is already coming out. HPV is a major source of cancer, I'm surprised he/she didn't tell you that. It will all work out, no sense in stressing over something you have no control over. I know people that have had the whole thing taken out and have never had a problem at all. You will read that on here as well, but when people have problems they tend to vent, righfully so, but there is always the other side, who everything went right for and they just go back to life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2011, 11:47 PM

Yeah he told me all this about a year and a half ago when I had my first abnormal pap smear.he did 3 in office biopsies and a cervical scrape,then that came back with moderate cervical dysplacia so he then did a cone biopsy which came back as mild dysplasia...yet on my medical chart it said CIN#3 and my HPV test was running positive for about 6 months then 6 months ago I had my pap and it came back something like a-typical is what the nurse said,plus having Endo along with everyone else doesn't help with pain so it is probably a good ting I am having a hyst before the big scary Cancer word comes into play.thank you as well for your reply

I love this website.filled with lots of info and very supportive ladies
Unread 08-26-2011, 12:33 AM

Here is a recent thread about a women over 50 in a monogamous relationship for 36 years who until recently had all normal paps. She now has an HPV diagnosis : https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...d.php?t=447105

80% of women have been exposed to HPV their life time. Most will be fine. But it is just wise for women to know the stats when making decisions and choices and when educating daughters, nieces, friends, etc.

For those scheduled to have a vaginal hysterectomy, the cervix is almost always removed as part of a vaginal hysterectomy as it is actually delivered first since it is the neck/bottom of the uterus. (There is a rare vaginal hysterectomy that allows the cervix to be "put back" so to speak but it is not done in most countries.) Thus, if you want to keep your cervix and it is deemed a healthy choice for you, you need to talk to your doctor ASAP about a hysterectomy choice that is not vaginal or vaginally assisted.

As always, getting a second opinion gynecological opinion is wise!

Unread 08-26-2011, 12:54 AM

I didnt finally have a HPV test until I was in my mid 30's and Ive been with only my hubby for the last 19 yrs. Low and behold I was positive for one of the cancer causing types. I also wound up with severe dysplasia and had to have part of my cervix removed via LEEP. The HPV test is no different than a normal pap smear (in regards to what you experience), if its an option with your Dr I would certainly always have the extra labs run. HPV can go in and out of dormacy so you can test positive and then negative and positive again. Its a good idea to keep it checked with your yearlys, no matter what your age.

Regardless of my cervical history I was afraid to lose my cervix. In the end I did have it removed, and am happy to report that sex/orgasm is great. Better, actually
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks ladies! My surgery is scheduled for Sept 14th and we haven't even discussed my cervix. It's in synosis so don't know if I will have an option but if so, will keep it!
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:04 PM

Hi there, my hysterectomy is also going to be on Sept. 14! So I will be thinking of you. I also have the option of a vaginal hys., removing my cervix, or a lap., keeping it. And...I haven't made my decision yet! I am mostly afraid of future vaginal dryness during sex! I am just posted a thread asking for help for that very thing and have not yet made my decision. I'm hoping to have a clear decision by tomorrow!

All the best!
Colleen
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:36 PM

Vaginal dryness is an issue with me. Most TAH women like me need lubricant. You have to try a variety until you find one you like and that works okay.

I was hoping my ERT would help. So far, no.
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marestail View Post
Vaginal dryness is an issue with me. Most TAH women like me need lubricant.
Actually, the issue is not the total hysterectomy when ti comes to vaginal dryness. Instead, it is the bilaterial oophorectomy that eliminated the hormones. The key will be finding the right HRT balance.

Many of us who have had the cervix removed but kept at least one ovary do not have any issues with vaginal dryness. There are glands in the vagina that provide moisture as long as there are also hormones.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register