Severe bowel pain 12 days after op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe bowel pain 12 days after op Severe bowel pain 12 days after op

Unread 08-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Severe bowel pain 12 days after op

Hi ladies
I had my op on the 10th of this month - full hysterectomy with some bowel surgery due to severe endo (after a long and painful diagnosis) I had a week to make the decision of having a full hysterectomy with minimal bowel surgey leaving some of the endo in the bowel in the hope that having no periods would diminish it gradually or have major bowel surgery with unlimited complications. Therefore i made the decision of full hyster. Naturally there was pain after surgery which i expected but now i am in awful pain passing stools and gas, I am not constipated as taking regular medication with a good diet but i am worried as this bowel pain feels worse than it did pre op, Anyone in a similar situation??? i'd welcome any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Re: Severe bowel pain 12 days after op

The only advice that I could give you would be to call your doc and explain what is going on. If it were me, I would call right away but I'm a worry-wart!
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:49 AM

I am 1 day shy of 3 weeks post-op from daVinci, all girly parts removed except ovaries. I saw my dr for a check up yesterday and told her it still hurts like heck to poop and have gas pains. I take stool softeners, MoM, prune juice, water etc. I go each morning but the cramps are terrible. She said normal "for me" as they are in that area and even if they do not do anything there they mess with the nerves and it can take 3 months to settle down. I am a slow healer, not the get up and back to life type. I'm still moving terrible slow, in the house and have pain (moderate to low). Good luck, not sure if I helped. Recovery is long...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2011, 05:31 PM

Hello, I had a DaVinci (robot assisted) hysterectomy on 8/16/11, they took everything, uterus, cervix, ovaries and tubes due to Endometrial cancer. I think the gas pains are worse than the incision pains for me. I have had 2 bm's and there was some sharp gas pains before and during both but I am not constipated either. I was told that since I have more space in there now my intestines will move around differently than before which can cause pain. I tried taking Phazyme for the gas which does help some. Hope you find some relief!
Unread 08-24-2011, 05:38 PM

I agree! The gas pains were horrific for me the first 10 days or so. I have had little incision pain.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by tealwater View Post
Hello, I had a DaVinci (robot assisted) hysterectomy on 8/16/11, they took everything, uterus, cervix, ovaries and tubes due to Endometrial cancer. I think the gas pains are worse than the incision pains for me. I have had 2 bm's and there was some sharp gas pains before and during both but I am not constipated either. I was told that since I have more space in there now my intestines will move around differently than before which can cause pain. I tried taking Phazyme for the gas which does help some. Hope you find some relief!
Unread 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM

Thanks for the advice girls i really appreciate it. It's hard to talk to people that have not been through it!
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:52 PM

I am 8 days out and having bad cramps I'm already doing the MoM but man, I am just having NO relief. I guess my next thing will be to try some Gas-X.
Unread 08-27-2011, 07:19 PM

I am just taking lot's of stool softeners which is helping but i keep still getting constipated and this and the wind is when the real pain starts!!, they tell me its part and parcel of it and to hang on in there, my advice is if you feel its not right consult gp - thats what they are there for. Good luck girl and keep in touch as i know what your going through. x
Unread 12-31-2011, 12:11 PM

I am 10 days post robotic hyster w uterus & cervix removed, incisions rarely hurt but oh Lord the bowel pain is terrible! Not constipated either but it still hurts! Taking Gas-X, stool softener, Maalox, RX Motrin & Perc. I was up & around & doing great, prob way too much & then BAM!
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:15 AM

Hi Missyrobin, yes, take it easy and the gas pains will go away. I had mine done in August and it is a very distant memory to me now (other than a little itch now and then at my incision sites). I remember the horrible gas pains though, everything is moving around and I guess they blow you up with air that has to go somewhere too!! Good luck with your recovery, take it slow and it will all work out fine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register