Scheduled LSH is lifting patients 2 wks post op possible? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

is lifting patients 2 wks post op possible? is lifting patients 2 wks post op possible?

Unread 08-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Re: is lifting patients 2 wks post op possible?

Yeah, I'm kind of jealous. :P My mom had a supra cervical hysterectomy... unfortunately she didn't understand the difference so at first she got on my case about not getting back sooner... not as fun. Haha. Good luck with your surgery and recovery. I hope you get back to feeling yourself soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2011, 12:58 PM

I can relate.... I am a Paramedic and have to lift patients all day as well. No lifting more than 5 lbs for 6 weeks. I just past my 6 week mark and went to the dr last week. She would not clear me to go back to work. Light duty only with no lifting for at least a few more weeks. As much as you may think your ready, your body is not.

Just think...If you do no lifting for 6 weeks, how do you think your body would handle you lifting a person the very next day. You have to let your body recover the right way the first time. I was told that I would not be cleared back to regular duty for probably another month. Good Luck to you.
Unread 08-27-2011, 02:03 PM

I can tell you right now that there is no way you can do lifting at two weeks. I had a DaVinci and it took me almost two months to be able to lift patients( I work in a nursing facility). I think I could lift one a day at max and would get home and collapse. Let yourself heal and by all means talk to your doc about what you do in your job. Bending, stretching, reaching down or up will also put a lot of stress on your abs and all stomach muscles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatufairy View Post
I can relate.... I am a Paramedic and have to lift patients all day as well. No lifting more than 5 lbs for 6 weeks. I just past my 6 week mark and went to the dr last week. She would not clear me to go back to work. Light duty only with no lifting for at least a few more weeks. As much as you may think your ready, your body is not.

Just think...If you do no lifting for 6 weeks, how do you think your body would handle you lifting a person the very next day. You have to let your body recover the right way the first time. I was told that I would not be cleared back to regular duty for probably another month. Good Luck to you.
Keep in mind that you can do other things for your boss.
You just can't life patients, understandably.
I don't think that I could lift a patient right now, LOL.
It has been 6 months for me.
Unread 09-02-2011, 04:14 PM

I had a TAH, and am a nurse, however my job is a lot of paperwork and mainly sitting at a desk behind a computer. My doctor did not even want me to go back to that until 6 weeks, although she has agreed to let me go back at 3 weeks, IF I feel up to it. I know what the CNA does on an average day and I think you would be absolutely miserable if you tried to go back to work too early.
Unread 09-06-2011, 02:36 AM

Well I have decided to take off 2 weeks. My client ( I am doing home health care ) is bedridden and doesn't get out of bed during my overnight shift so I will just need to roll her on and off a bedpan which doesn't involve lifting much. I am having a LSH so I assume this should be ok. I am going to my pre-op tomorrow and will double check that this is ok with my doctor. Thank you all for your expertise!!
Unread 11-09-2011, 08:28 PM

As a nurse, this is something I'm wondering about too. I'm having an LSH and also an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time. Both my docs know I work in a recovery room and I'm on my feet alot. I can get by without too much lifting, but it does get busy there. I've asked for 4 weeks off. I only work 3 days/week. Hopefully, 4 weeks is enough as long as I take it easy on the lifting!!!
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Lisa, can you go back pt and only do stuff like feeding? I don't know if you do homecare or work in a facility. I know facilities are busy during meals and could use the extra hands. If the patients were already at the table and you helped the ones that can't self feed then the likelyhood of you needing to catch someone is greatly reduced. But even then I've seen some try to get up from the table that can't.

Having spent a lot of time in nursing homes I know that often you are called upon to lift patients even when it's unexpected. Frail people fall even if they can usually make a transfer with just some help. You won't know until it happens and will instinctively catch them.

You want to make sure you take it easy and heal properly.
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:30 AM

I had TVH and told me not to lift any over 10 pounds. And that was till I have my 6 week check up I hope that, that will change so I can get back to work. I am a home health aide. Don't push your self to soon. You could hurt your self very bad on the inside. As it says all over this site. You have one chance to heal right.
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:44 AM

My dr. told me not to lift anything heavier than 5 lbs. for my first few weeks. I'm having my surgery on Monday (11/14)...same as you, uterus (with large fibroid) removed, with the plan of leaving cervix and ovaries intact. My dr.'s nurse explained to me what I've seen posted here...not only will you have external stitches, you'll have internal ones that you could pull if you begin lifting too early...hope this helps and good luck to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register