Scheduled TAH Feeling Very Overwhelmed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling Very Overwhelmed Feeling Very Overwhelmed

Unread 08-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Feeling Very Overwhelmed

My TAH is scheduled for Wednesday August 31st. I've been reading threads all over this website and I have learned a wealth of information.

I have a ton of anxiety about my upcoming surgery, most of this stemming from my previous c/s 7 years prior. During that surgery, I had complications that included bleeding out, getting an infection, a resulting bowel obstruction and second emergency abdominal surgery, 9 days in ICU and 2 days on a vent, and fluid filing my lungs. My mind can't help but go back to What Might Happen and then I'm anxious all over again!

On top of this anxiety, I just don't know what to expect. How long is surgery? How long were you in the hospital? When did you start walking post-surgery with a TAH? How long will I feel like crap post-op and when can I drive again? I'm losing my only remaining ovary so I'm also wondering how jacked up my hormones will be and how quick the HRT begins to act.

I don't feel like I know the right questions I need to be asking my doc at preop Monday morning. What I want is for it to be this time next week and for this surgery to Finally Be Over and to know I came out okay.

I guess I just needed someone who's been there or is there to listen. Any insight or tips from TAH'ers appreciated. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2011, 04:48 AM
Re: Feeling Very Overwhelmed

I'm scheduled for 9/16 so I can't answer all your questions, bun in my pre-op they told me the doctor booked the OR for two hours. Depending on what your doctor has to do, it may take longer or a little less. I've heard many stories on here from 1 1/2 hours to over 4(complications). On the info sheet I was given, I'm expected to try and walk by the next morning, but only very short distances. I can't see where you are from, so I can only say I'll be in the hospital 3-5 days. That's a normal stay for Canada.

I'm sorry about the complications you've had in the past. As long as you let pre-op know what happened last time, they will be prepared fir issues. You will be in my prayers that nothing goes wrong.
Unread 08-27-2011, 06:40 AM

I am scheduled for 8-30-11 and have some anxiety. Being that I am a counselor, I am able to so lots of self talk to help relax; however, it is surgery. I will be in the hospital for three days (Tues and return home Friday). I have a supportive spouse and sister and brother-in-law will stay at my house to take kids to/from school. I suggest you communicate your feelings with MD and family. Gather your supports to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2011, 07:51 AM

Thank you both for replying! I had heard my stay would be 3 days so it's good to hear the average stay for you both. And I'm in Georgia.
Unread 08-27-2011, 08:29 AM

I had a TAH on Wed 8/17 at 7:30am. I was walking the next morning, short distances. I did not have any complications during surgery, about 1 hour 45 minutes, but recovery was around 2 1/2 hours due to issues finding the right pain med for me. I don't remember anything after being told I was going to start to feel drowsy until I was in my room. My first memory is actually my husband asking if I wanted a ice chip.

I was released from the hospital on Friday around noon. I felt pretty crappy through the weekend but by Monday I was feeling better and more like myself. Of course, a more tired version of me, and one that is not being fanatical about dishes in the sink, dog hair on the tile, or laundry.

I went in 6 days post-op to have my 16 staples removed. I was reminded no sex for 6 weeks, no driving for 2 weeks, and no lifting over the weight of a milk jug until I could do it without ANY pulling. He stressed the last part and looked directly at my hubby. He said that would probably be around 3 months.

I had the surgery for a couple different reasons. One because I had a hyseroscopy last Oct and was diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia. I have never had regular periods and over the past several years they have become more and more problematic. My second reason for finally deciding on the surgery was that in Mar 2010 I started my period and it continued until Oct 2010. Then, I started again in December and was still having it when I made the decision to have the surgery.

So I can't say that I'm in less pain now than I was before because I wasn't in pain before (other than period cramps). Unlike all of these other women on this site, I feel very fortunate that I only had to deal with my minor inconveniences. However, after the surgery, the pathology report came back that there were cancerous cells forming in my uterous. Thank God I had the surgery when I did!

I wish you a textbook surgery, a pain free recovery, and a healthy and happy life.

This website saved my sanity and helped me through all of my anxiety. I pray it will do the same for you. The ladies here are a treasure!

Sherri
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:01 AM

Footyprints..you're not alone! I'm scared to death and scheduled for TAH end of Sept:another 4 weeks to think up every possible complication! I met with GYN last week and he stated since i have large endrometrioma attached "like cement" into my ureter and bowel I will require a urologist to insert a stent and general surgeon to assist. I'm scare of ending up with a colostomy (although it would probably be temporary..STILL thats big time upsetting!). I almost wish my surgery was next week to get it over with! I'm relieved just to read other postings and knowing we have each other. Good luck next week! I'll be thinking of you
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:59 AM

I had my TAH 10 weeks ago for endometrial cancer. The length of surgery will vary a bit depending on the amount of work that needs to be done. Mine was about 11/2-2 hours which is very typical. Surgery was at 10:00 and I was in my room around 2:30--there were problems at the hospital that delayed my move out of recovery.

I knew I would be up and walking soon after surgery--and the nurse had me up within 4 hours!!! Standing and sitting was difficult, but I felt strong and able to walk. Actually it felt good to walk!!! I am not the most active person, but it felt good to move my legs. I made sure I walked after getting up to use the bathroom.

My surgery was on a Monday, the doctor talked about releasing me Wednesday morning, but I stayed until Thursday since I was not passing gas. I was finally given a suppository to help reactive my bowels.

Pre-op questions: you have reason to be concerned about surgery considering your past history. I would review this information with the surgeon and ask what will be done to help you have a very successful experience. I also discussed how my pain will be managed--this was my biggest concern and I was lucky that my recovery was as pain free as possible.

I agree with VMG that postive self talk is extremely valuable. I never had surgery before and was very scared. I worked to replace any negative thoughts with positive statements that validated that I would be fine, the doctors and nurses are there to make sure all goes well, and that I am strong enought to handle this experience. I also worked at visualizing going through pre-op, surgery, and recovery while creating positive statements and using deep breathing to control stress.

Good luck to you!!!
Unread 08-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Hi Ladies. I am nearly 8 months post TAH. I had my op 6th Jan in UK I have a pain and needle phobia or sorts but got through it. I was in hospital 2 nights and you up walking the second day in the morning very slowly. Stayed at my parents for 3 weeks driving at 6 and had sex at 10 weeks when I was ready. And have gone from strength. I do have ovaries but no cervixand no uterus. No PMS. A had hot flush but the only thing that hits is the tiredness. It just different 1 day to the next even this far down the line

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register