Will I have a cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I have a cervix? Will I have a cervix?

Unread 08-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Will I have a cervix?

I met with my doctor two days ago and scheduled my surgery for 12 days from now.

It's supposed to be a vaginal hysterectomy and I'm going to be able to keep my ovaries. One thing I didn't know was that I might lose my cervix. I didn't know that was a possibility, so I didn't ask if I was going to keep it or not.

Is it standard to lose your cervix in a vaginal hysterectomy? If so, how does losing a cervix affect a person?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Re: Will I have a cervix?

To answer your question simply, yes it is usually standard to lose your cervix with a vaginal hysterectomy. However, I have heard of extremely rare cases where the surgeon has the ability to preserve the cervix with a vaginal hysterectomy but I don't believe that any of the thousands if not millions of hystersisters on this site have ever had this occur.

As to losing the cervix, it depends on the person. I kept mine so I will let other ladies who have lost it tell you their experience.
Unread 08-28-2011, 09:49 PM

Thank you for your response. I had no idea it was the way it was done. I guess I better start doing homework to find out what to expect without it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2011, 11:50 PM

In your research, you will find the cervix can be a very controversial topic! There are women and doctors on both sides of the issue with very strong opinions.

I can share with you that I had no choice regarding mine and I have not missed it in the almost 11 years it has been gone. I have no negative side effects either--no prolapse, no sexual issues, vaginal moisture is fine, etc. etc. etc.

I no longer have uterine contractions with orgasms, but those likely would have been gone anyway. I also don't have abnormal paps from the endometriosis affecting the cervix.

One thing to keep in mind. The cervix is the neck/bottom of the uterus. It is not a separate organ. Thus, whatever is affecting the upper portion of the uterus may be affecting the cervical portion as well, necessitating its removal.

The cervix being the bottom of the uterus is also why it is removed with a vaginal hysterectomy. It is delivered first. Even in the vaginal procedure that allows for retaining the cervix, the cervical portion of the uterus is delivered and then put back inside. That procedure is not done in most countries btw and as (((Danni))) shared, I don't recall a single member ever having it and I have been on the site for several years.

If you have concerns about your cervix, talk to your doctor ASAP.

s
Unread 08-29-2011, 01:39 AM

I agree with Weiser's advice -- please ask your doctor. My cervix was removed during my hysterectomy. I don't know if I HAD a choice in its going -- but my choice would have been YES if there were one. I've had abnormal PAPs and now don't have to worry about it!
Unread 08-29-2011, 02:05 AM

Before I had my Da Vinci hysterectomy Aug 12th I found hystersisters and read that I 'could' keep my cervix. I brought it up to my doctor at a pre-op appointment. He asked if I had had an abnormal pap the last 5 years, if I had changed partners in the past couple years, and if I had ever had an STD. My answers were no to all those. He said I could keep it BUT removed it!!! I was not happy at all...but I am healing fine, don't know what it would have meant to keep it....but at least I don't have to have it removed later!

Good luck on your journey and ask lots of questions, make your wants/feelings known!
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:03 AM

I had no choice. Mine was gone and I'm okay with that. I had an abnormal PAP many years ago. There's so much history of cancer, I just didn't want to risk it.
Unread 08-29-2011, 10:18 AM

I no longer have my cervix and I am okay with that. My mother, however, kept her cervix. Like Weiser mentioned, they delivered it and then put it back inside. She ended up going in for emergency surgery for an infection where they re-attached her cervix. I figured I'd get rid of mine because I feel I don't really need it.
Unread 08-29-2011, 11:12 AM

Okay, thank you all so much for these responses. It really makes me feel better about it all.

From your responses and from the research I did here hyster sisters, I realized I for sure want to just have them take my cervix. I am concerned with possible sexual side effects, but the truth is, my periods are awful and nothing can stop them. Even during my pregnancies, I still had periods. I know good and well, if there is any possible 1 in 100000000000 chance I could still have bleeding every month (like some people report who have kept their cervixes), then I can for sure say that I would still get my periods.

I don't want to go through all this and still have periods and eventually probably have to have a second surgery to take the cervix out anyway.

The truth is my "relations" with my husband aren't all that great right now because I am always on my period, so even if there is a bit of a loss there after the surgery, it will still be better than it is now.

Thanks, all!
Unread 08-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Amen, sister! First the surgeon warned me about the potential for periods and discharge if she left the cervix. Then my surgeon warned I might suffer loss of libido afterward. I told her I can't lose what I do not have. Between the fibroids, the constant bleeding (oh lord, how much blood can one person lose?) and the repeated attempts at surgery to fix it, I have had NO desire. I am keeping optimistic that eventually my brain will reset the desire switch once I'm no longer in pain.
Good luck to you on your surgery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register