Going to be Awake during surgery? Anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going to be Awake during surgery? Anyone else? Going to be Awake during surgery? Anyone else?

Unread 08-29-2011, 06:50 AM
Going to be Awake during surgery? Anyone else?

My TAH is scheduled for Sept 7th. My Dr said I will have an epidural that stays in place for awhile after surgery. He called it a "walking epidural". Has anyone ever had that?

I will also be awake during surgery, and I am more concerned about that as anything. I don't want to hear anything PLUS I don't want to feel impatient if it is taking a long time. I am not sure what to expect, even though I have had 2 previous CSections where I was awake.

Will they give me medicine to sleep during surgery? Any thoughts / advice will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Re: Going to be Awake during surgery? Anyone else?

I'm not sure. What is a tah? Im new to this site. I fear waking up during surgery, I would probably feel better to know I would already be awake instead of waking up from sleep. But if they are cutting you open that would be scary.
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:24 AM

I have read about several ladies here who were awake during the procedure. I was asleep for mine and that's the way I wanted it! LOL Maybe if you talk to your dr about how you feel he will be willing to change the plan and put you to sleep for the surgery. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2011, 08:38 AM

You my dear are a brave woman!! I told my doctor to make sure I was out BEFORE I even reached the surgery room. I didn't wanna see it or even know I went into the room. If you're not comfortable being awake, speak up & tell your doctor!!!! As for me, there's just no way I could have done my surgery like that. Guess I'm a sissy whimp
Unread 08-29-2011, 08:41 AM

Sometimes they will provide what is referred to as a 'twilight sedation' which essentially renders you conscious, but with no memory whatsoever of anything that happened while you were 'sedated'. There are many drugs they use for this, most commonly is a mix of versed and a pain management drug.

I have no idea what a 'walking' epidural is?
Unread 08-29-2011, 09:43 AM

What is the benefit for being awake during surgery?

I could not wait to be knocked out in the OR.

I cant imagine being awake, especialyl after hearing how my surgery was tougher and longer than anticipated.
Unread 08-29-2011, 06:10 PM

Oh my, surgery is scary enough asleep I would never ever want to be even slightly lucid, sleep is the way to go then you do not have reason to be nervous, I told the doctor please make sure I am completely out before starting!
Unread 08-29-2011, 06:36 PM

I too will be having a spinal for my surgery as I get horribly sick with general anesthesia. However, I've been assured I will be put into a "very relaxed" state during the procedure. I imagine they will likely do the same for you. Ask your doctor about it and request it!
Unread 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM

I have a friend who had an epidural for her vaginal hysterectomy and was awake/aware the whole time. It gives me shudders just to think about it.

The anesthesiologist put the IV in my arm in pre-op and I was out like a light, woke up in post-op with absolutely no awareness of even being wheeled into the OR. And that's exactly how I wanted it.
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:04 AM

HinOhio

I had a TVH and had a spinal with sedation. I was alseep pretty much for the entire procedure. I did wake up for a brief moment after it was all over with but I was still in the OR, but went right back to sleep. When I went for my pre-op and talked to the anethesiolgist she told me it was my decision as to if I wanted a spinal with sedation or general anethesia. I was scared of the spinal but she said it would help control the pain better after surgery. She also did tell me that if they got in there and had to cut me they would automatically put me under general. I would be a little concerned with having a TAH and not being put totally out. I have read other post on this site where ladies who had a TAH had a spinal and general anethesia. I think when you go to pre-op you need to discuss it more with the anethesiologist. Like I said mine said it was ultimately my decision not my doctors. Good luck with your surgery. I hope all goes well with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register