ESTRACE Vaginal Cream | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

ESTRACE Vaginal Cream ESTRACE Vaginal Cream

Unread 08-30-2011, 03:40 PM
ESTRACE Vaginal Cream

Just had my one week post op appt. from my Hysterectomy. My Dr. prescribed Estrace Vaginal Cream once per week. This is the only thing I have prescribed for now. I am not having any symptoms such as hot flashes or mood swings so far. I am just wondering if this will be enough to keep me from having problems later on? Do I need other hormones as well? I am so confused on the hormones and don't know what I really need for my long term health. Do I just wait for other symptoms to crop up and then treat or is there some way be proactive?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Re: ESTRACE Vaginal Cream

The Estrace vaginal cream is only for vaginal estrogenization. It is NOT systemic estrogen. Your dr probably prescribed it because it helps to keep vaginal tissues estrogenized/supple/plumb/healthy and therefore will heal faster.

I assume at your 6 week postop checkup, you will discuss systemic hormones with your dr unless you have troublesome symptoms sooner.

My hot flashes hit 4 days after surgery - I was desperate for hormone replacement (but I was very low in estrogen prior to the ovary removal).
Unread 08-30-2011, 04:26 PM

Calypso,

You are correct that my Dr. was prescribing this to keep the vagina in good health, but as I am not having a lot of symptoms she is not planning on other HRT. So my question really is do I need something else or do I just thank my lucky stars that I haven't yet had a lot of bad hot flashes.

val
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2011, 07:52 PM

I would suggest reading Dr Vliet's book called "Screaming to be Heard: Hormonal Connections Women Suspect but Doctors Still Ignore"... she talks about the necessity of estrogen and all the receptors you have all over your body...

I imagine if you have no symptoms, they will gradually appear as your stored estrogen in your body is slowly depleted. It's a good idea to talk to your dr about options and such so you're prepared if you decide to go the HRT route.

Most drs are supportive of HRT unless you are dealing with estrogen fed cancers.

Maintaining a certain estrogen level will definitely support: brain health, bone health, skin health, sexual heath, eye health, digestive health, urinary health, etc.... the list goes on. Women in natural menopause STILL make up to 40% of the estrogen level they produced pre-menopause. In surgical menopause, we have little to none...
Unread 08-30-2011, 08:41 PM

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed. I was hoping to be able to know what to ask my Dr. when I go back in 5 weeks. I appreciate the help.
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM

I second everything Calypso said. In addition to Dr. Vliet's book, I recommend Natural Hormone Balance by Dr. Uzzi Reiss. I got both of them from my local library and learned so much.
You may not notice symptoms until your estrogen level is at a very low level which can negatively affect your mood, sleep, bones, skin, hair and even teeth. My doc started me on the patch immediately after surgery and I am very thankful as I've had no menopausal symptoms at all. I also use Estrace cream once a week for urinary and vaginal health.
I wish you all the best with your recovery!
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:50 PM

I take Estrace cream and it is hard for me to believe that Estrace is not at all systemic. I take a gram daily and it seems to help aches and pains, maybe memory a bit. I did keep my ovaries and I was post menopausal at the time of surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register