Work Decisions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Work Decisions Work Decisions

Unread 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Work Decisions

I'm waiting to be scheduled to have my vaginal hysterectomy, uterus only. I spoke with my doctor and as other women have mentioned, he is advising that it could be 6-8 weeks until I feel better.

Unfortunately I don't see anyway that I could take that much time off of work. Taking two weeks off of work would be a stretch. I work in an office, sitting all day and I am wondering for those ladies who are now post op and have work obligations, how difficult is it to return to work? I expect to deal with a fair amount of exhaustion, but what has been the most challenging aspect? Are there ways I can help myself to be more successful?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Re: Work Decisions

You have to ask yourself a question: Is the rest of your life worth a few weeks off of work? I would say it is. You really need to give your body the chance to heal properly. If you don't, you are risking permanent complications. Nothing is worth that. On the flip side, you might be one of the really lucky ones who feel okay after a couple of weeks but those ladies are few and far between. Most need 4 to 6 weeks off and your body will tell you how much time you will need. Better to plan for more time off than not enough and risking on damaging yourself. Good luck with your decision.
Unread 08-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Re: Work Decisions

I'm in a very similar boat! Glad to know I am not alone in worrying about work.

I had a TVH (uterus only) on August 22. I have a full time job and told my boss I'd have to have 4-6 weeks off. I also lead a youth group for church and went to church two nights ago to do youth group. I hated to not show up to lead it. It was my first trip "out" and I regretted it the next day. I feel fine at home, still sore and crampy though. But the day after I went out, I felt worse and now my spotting has picked up a bit too. I am secretly hoping I really didn't overdo.

I have vacation days built up and work in an office as well. One of my bosses texted me yesterday and asked if I felt like typing from home. So, I agreed and did some work from home today. I am hoping to try to get back to work pretty soon-- hoping for around September 15, rather than September 25 (my original post-op date to be released). I honestly don't have enough time to take that much off, and be paid, but I feel like I should.

I agree with what others post on here about taking the time off if that's what the doc says. There is a sense of guilt for me, though. I feel like, if I FEEL *OKAY* enough at home, I could just as well be sitting at a desk at work and typing.

I'd love to know what you do in the end, what choice you make! Best of luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register