1 week post-op feel worse than before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 week post-op feel worse than before surgery 1 week post-op feel worse than before surgery

Unread 08-30-2011, 10:11 PM
1 week post-op feel worse than before surgery

Greetings Sisters,
I am new to this site so forgive me if I break protocol...
I am one week post-robotic TAH with removal of ovaries and tubes... (I opted to keep my cervix, but not sure that point is relevant at this stage).
I began HRT about 2 days after surgery using EstroGel.
I have noticed that my aches and pains have become much worse, along with a nasty taste in my mouth, and a plethora of other symptoms.
The pains are the worst of my symptoms, though the hot flashes are getting old really fast.
The pain is hard to describe- sharp, shooting pains throughout my lower abdomen, especially before i need to use the bathroom.
What I am wondering is if the EstroGel is contributing to my discomfort or if the pain is from my "insides re-adjusting" themselves?
My doctor is great but getting in touch with him takes an act of Congress... His nurse's answer to everything is to go to the ER...
Thanks in advance for any tid-bits of info anyone can give... (getting desperate here!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Re: 1 week post-op feel worse than before surgery

Hi catz, Sorry you're feeling so poorly. It's definitely normal to feel the way you do at this point in time. My surgery was so long ago, but I do remember how weak and tired I was and I was in quite a bit of pain. The sweating/hot flashes seem to go along with the trauma of surgery as well as hormone changes. You've had major trauma inside your body. I also had severe endometriosis. If your bladder was involved and had to have cysts and adhesions removed from it, there will be some pain in the healing. I remember having gripping pains in my bladder everytime I voided. It slowly went away.

Then there's the issue of pain meds. Using the pain meds and slowing down on them brought on some sweats for me too.

Sometimes expecting too much too soon is harder than the pain. Try to remind yourself how much your body has been through and that it WILL get better!

I hate it when the nurse's have to use the same pat answers for everyone. If you really need an answer, keep pushing to talk to your Dr. That's why he get's the big bucks! After care is part of what you're paying for. I did find out that getting overly emotional got me nowhere with the Dr.'s office and staff. Going to the ER for answers to your female post surgical issues could possibly be as helpful as asking your plumber what hairstyle would work best for you. If what you need is some reassurance and answers to questions, make the nurse listen to you.

It definitely takes time for your body to adjust to the new hormone supply. Your body is also depleting it's own stores now. It's best to take things slow and not constantly adjust hormones initially. Let your body settle in.

Take it easy and be good to yourself...take as much pressure off yourself as you can. Things will get better!

HUGS!
Unread 08-31-2011, 03:44 PM

It took me 3 weeks post-op to even begin to feel that I was better off after having my TAH/BSO. I cried nearly every day wondering what in the world I had done. I traded one pain for a whole bunch of other issues.

I had a lot of what you are describing. I do know that some women that had surgery at the same time that I do, complained about a bad taste in their mouth.

I would tell you to find the progress recovery thread for when you had your surgery in the post-op portion of the forum. It is always helpful to have others that are going through the same thing that you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2011, 08:05 PM

Thank you to both of you who replied. I did get to see my surgeon today (and he and his nurse chided me for having not come in earlier). All my "tests" came back normal, so the general conclusion was I let the pain get out of control. He gave me 2 new scripts and a shot of toradol in the office. Feeling quite a bit better now...
I guess I just need to slow down... I was release from the hospital barely 24hours after the surgery b/c I was "doing so well." I guess I thought I could carry that momentum... Oh well... Live and learn, right? (LoL).
Again, thank you! Your input is much appreciated! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register