Scheduled LSH Gave work my notice today that I need to be off for two weeks . . . - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Gave work my notice today that I need to be off for two weeks . . . Gave work my notice today that I need to be off for two weeks . . .

Unread 09-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Re: Gave work my notice today that I need to be off for two weeks . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie123 View Post
what I say is you just do not know for sure until afterwards. I do not care what your doctor said. I have a very experienced gyn. he has done a ton of these hysterectomy's and he said 8 weeks. When I had my gall bladder removed many years ago, doctor said oh you will be up and about the next day. 2 weeks was more like it. I had a laparoscopy surgery so minimally invasive. I really am struggling to understand why so many on here post 1 week to 3 weeks back to work. Well maybe if your doctor had to go through what we did he would not say 2 weeks. My doctor said if I go back and my job is physical I risk having another surgery, he told me stories, I guess some doctor's ere on the side of caution and others do not. You will see when your surgery is done but I bet you if you do go back so soon you will be exhausted and sore.
A lot of the recovery is depends on the type of surgery you had.

I had an LSH 23 days ago. Was back to work after a week part time, and after 2 weeks full time. I have felt great all along.

My point is that recovery is very individual. It is not a one size fits all. But that being said, everyone needs to be able to take as long as is right for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2011, 08:37 AM

You are so right, I am going by what my doctor told me, he said even if you feel fine things inside need time to heal properly, it is not all about how you feel, you may feel fine over do it and end up back in for another surgery, he has done all kinds and he told me stories about women who had the less invasive surgeries. He is a cautious doctor who cares about the recovery of his patients. Some doctors are cautious and others not.
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:45 AM
Gave work my notice today that I need to be off for two weeks . . .

I think the point about this being "major surgery" can't be overemphasized. I hope you feel ready to go back at two weeks. I am feeling great two weeks and three days post-op after my LSH, but I get really fatigued by the end of the day, especially if I have been active. Take it as easy as you possibly can, esp. in that first two weeks, and then listen closely to your body. Best of luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM

Thx, Turanga! You're right, we're usually set up for extra coverage . . . I don't really feel too bad now about giving them such short notice that I'll need time off (especially since all but one of the shifts I was originally scheduled for is picked up already, after being posted not even a full day!) and I know that they'll deal with it if I have to take more time off.

I didn't mean to start a debate here, that's for sure! I know every one is different. Not just those of us who are patients, but the doctors who are helping us as well. No one knows our bodies, or what is best for our well-being, as we do. Hopefully we have doctors whose beliefs are aligned with our own so that our goals are mutual and obtainable.

So . . . are you going to take the two-weeks-sooner date?
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks, dpg1515, that is certainly encouraging! I am also having an LSH. A lot of my GYN's lap-hysto patients end up only needing a week or two off to recover, which is another reason that I chose him as my care provider. Continued best wishes on your recovery!
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:01 AM

And thank you again to everyone for your input. I agree, the bottom line is that recovery different for everyone and based on a variety of different and unpredictable things.

But the point I apparently failed to make in my original post was that I was nervous about telling them I needed time off in the first place. Most of my co-workers didn't know I was even having GYN problems, so I knew this news would be kind of a shock and bring about a whole new onslaught of questioning. Which it has. I don't mind that so much, but was still apprehensive about having to open up the flood gates (so to speak) and let them know what's going on in my personal -- no, not even just personal, but intimate -- life.

Can anyone relate? When you needed to take time off, were your cohorts aware that it was a possibility, or did you end up kind of springing it upon them, like I did?
Unread 09-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Another encouraging post I've had a great recovery. I'm a stay at home mom with 5 kids. I came home from surgery the same day and my hubby went back to work the very next day. After just a few days, I was driving, running errands and doing cooking and light housekeeping. By 2 weeks, I was back to normal...except for having intercourse.

My surgeon gave me no restrictions other than sex. He said if I felt okay then I could do whatever. He specifically said I should NOT be bedridden after this procedure.

I will pray for a similar recovery for you
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:46 PM
Gave work my notice today that I need to be off for two weeks . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoRomeo View Post
But the point I apparently failed to make in my original post was that I was nervous about telling them I needed time off in the first place. Most of my co-workers didn't know I was even having GYN problems, so I knew this news would be kind of a shock and bring about a whole new onslaught of questioning. Which it has. I don't mind that so much, but was still apprehensive about having to open up the flood gates (so to speak) and let them know what's going on in my personal -- no, not even just personal, but intimate -- life.

Can anyone relate? When you needed to take time off, were your cohorts aware that it was a possibility, or did you end up kind of springing it upon them, like I did?
My two closest friends at work (one of whom is my supervisor) were aware of my issues for a long time and so were not surprised when I needed to be off. It came as a surprise to all my other coworkers. Thankfully they respected my privacy when I told them I would be off 6 weeks for surgery, they expressed concern but none of them asked what the surgery was for.
Unread 09-01-2011, 02:18 PM

After I met with the OB/GYN to schedule this surgery in October, I let my manager know that I would need 6 to 7 weeks off (per the Dr) for medical leave this summer. I actually did not tell her exactly what my surgery was going to b until just before I left. After my surgery the DR said 7 to 8 weeks off so I split the difference with him and asked him to sign me back at 7 weeks, but I am seeing him at 6 weeks for my post op.
I work in an office on computer/phone, not much heavy lifting but there is no way I could sit in a chair all day still @ 23 days. The lifting restrictions is less than 10 pounds until the check up and less than 20 pounds till 3 months. His instructions say it takes 6 months to a year to be at 100%.
Unread 09-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Hey TangoRomeo,

So glad you already know your shifts are covered--not because they otherwise might not be, but because now you can comfortably let go and take care of yourself.

I'm gonna go for the earlier date: yikes, it's September 13th! At least it's not a Friday...

It was a bit weird telling people: I was just diagnosed (with a watermelon-sized fibroid!) in late July, when my school was already on summer break, so I left "healthy" and came back to find myself needing to resist an attempt to draft me to XYZ 5000th Committee on the grounds that I intended to be entirely hopped up on pain pills and watching telenovelas at home when they met.

I've been upfront with people and answered all the questions: I figure, if I had a giant freaking tumor growing on my leg, I wouldn't be squeamish about fessing up to it. I lead with "abdominal surgery" and then give more info if people genuinely seem to want to know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register