Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Question

Does anyone knows if after surgery the dr. Tells us what he finds and if there was something else they had to do differently? Or if they find some thing else. I was wondering I think I would like to know what shape my uterus and cervics was in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Re: Question

All I can speak to is what my doctor did. He apparently did go into recovery to tell me about the surgery and what he had found but I have no recollection of this conversation. My hubby and kid had gone out for dinner so he wasn't able to find them and talk to them. He finally caught up with me the next day and filled me in. I think that it is usual for doctors to talk to their patients or their family immediately after surgery.
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM

My doc spoke to my DH and MIL after my surgery to let them know how things went and the pathology results. He visited with me the next day and gave me the same information. I had a TAH BSO so I was in the hospital for 4 days. I was also told in recovery by the nurses about the surgery results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM

I want to know this information, too. I plan to tell my doctor at my pre-op visit that I want to know this afterwards.
Unread 08-31-2011, 09:09 PM

It can depend on the doctor, the schedule that day, how well you are doing in recovery, etc.

I have had surgery where I saw the doctor before and after, surgery where I didn't see the doctor before or after, and surgery where I saw the doctor before but not after!

In one case, the doctor was running behind so he didn't see me or my family following surgery as he was trying to get to the next patient who had been waiting because of all of us patients ahead of her.

For one surgery, my surgeon spoke to me and my DH but I don't really have much recollection of it so it was a waste of time on my part and my DH didn't get all the details I really wanted.

Talk to your doctor to find out what the plan might be for you and share if you have preferences that you hope your doctor can accommodate.

Unread 08-31-2011, 09:22 PM

My doc talked to my mom after my surgery, then talked to me the next day before i went home from the hospital. He also showed me pics and a short video of the surgery. Im sure at some point your doc will go over the results with you.
Unread 09-01-2011, 12:30 AM

I plan on writing it out; from past experience I know surgeons like to come in and tell how it went, but I'm always so super groggy, I barely remember. This time I'm asking her to talk to my DH but then to either write up a report for me or come in once I've cleared anesthesia. And yes, I want at least a photo and a pathology report!
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Yes, they definitely should be giving you that kind of information. Let them know pre-op that you would like any information you can afterward; they might even share pictures and a written summary with you. When I had my endo surgery in May, I got a verbal report from one of the nurses and later the GYN while I was in recovery, but like others have said, I was so out of it that I don't remember what they told me . . . and my DH who was there as well, wasn't familiar with the terminology so relying on him for a report wasn't the best idea either! lol. At my post-op follow-up they gave me basically the same information but I was with it enough to understand that time.

Best of luck to you!!
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:36 AM

Thanks everyone I will be sure to say something at my pre op. Y'all have been the best on this web site.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register