Recovery and Pre schooler? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery and Pre schooler? Recovery and Pre schooler?

Unread 09-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Recovery and Pre schooler?

I am going to be scheduling my hysterectomy in October. i have a 4 year old who will be 5 in november. I have shared custody and he visits his dad out of state for christmas break. He goes out December 27th.
I have a husband at home. Who in no way can take off work to help.; My kid wont be in kindergarten till next year. So my question is: am i able to care for him after surgery?
I have no clue if I will be in hospital for over night stay or not. I am wondering if I should put off my surgery for when he goes home to his dad. But I don't know if I can wait that long.
Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2011, 01:53 PM
Re: Recovery and Pre schooler?

My youngest turned 4.5 today. I had my surgery on July 19. My hubby was able to stay home the first 6 days, which I was very greatful for. I may have been able to handle it, but I'm greatful that I didn't have to. I didn't spend the night in the hospital, but I slept for the first two days. If it was a choice, I would wait until he's visiting his Dad, but I understand that sometimes thats just not a choice. If you do decide to, be sure to have some really easy meals that you can cook for him. My little guy is pretty independent, but can't help cook. My oldest is 10 and she was able to help a lot with certain tasks. When hubby went back to work, he'd try to get everything ready for lunch and supper - cut up veggies, etc. - that he could.
Unread 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Thanks for the advice. Were you able to get up and take care of you child? Or how many days did it take to be able to get up and get around to make food or something for your child?
I will def. be considering waiting till he goes, it is just a long time away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-02-2011, 02:39 PM

I had the surgery on Tuesday. Friday was the first day I was home alone with any of the kids. (Hubby drove one of the kids to camp.) We made our way through the day. One hard thing was the fact that I couldn't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk, and even that was a challenge at first. The kids were great, though with grabbing things that I asked for. If your little guy is pretty good at following basic directions - can you please get the red can off the shelf - you would probably be okay. My kids were in the middle of baseball season when I first found out I'd need surgery. I hated waiting almost 2 months for the surgery, but I'm glad I did. For starters, I couldn't drive for 2 weeks which would have made getting to practices and games really hard. I personally feel like I healed better because I wasn't worried about the kids missing things because of me. The month of August was pretty empty on our calendar - although we did have to cancel our family vacation. In hind sight, those 2 months flew by and I have the rest of my life to feel human now!

Also, for what its worth, my 4.5 and 6.5 year old were very nervous after my surgery. Didn't want to hurt me, but didn't really know what they could and couldn't do. Both of them wanted to hug me and make things better - and probably be hugged so they could feel better. Hugging didn't necessarily feel the greatest right after surgery. I learned really quickly to keep a pillow over my stomach as much as possible. I still can't forget the smile I got from my youngest the day I told him the dr said he could sit on my lap again.
Unread 09-02-2011, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the advice. My four year old is very good, the thing is i am worrried about is him being bored and missing out. and Feeling like I am not taking care of him like I should be or depriving him. I will have to wait and see what comes of this. Another thing is, our health coverage my be running out soon and we will have to switch. Alot of health coverage places are saying it is considered a pre existing condition and wont cover it. So I am also needing to do this in an timely manner becuase of that. Hard,, but I really wana do this to give myself and the kids and family atleast a chance to fix me.
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:52 PM

I had a TAH and it was a lot easier than I expected it to be. I have a very soon to be 5 yr old. When hubby went back to work after being off for 2 weeks we made sure that cups were filled (basically off of sippy cups, but used them so we didn't have messes to clean), he put a basket of snacks next to the couch so I did not need to get up and down, when it came time for dinner we had TV dinners, hubby took care of bath time, however she wanted to dress was fine with me even if it did not match, since she knew mommy was having surgery and would have bad boo-boo's we also did many "camp outs" in the living room where we watched movies, sang songs, colored, played babies. I did as much as I could with her while still being able to sit/lay on the couch.
Is there a friend that could come over every couple of days to get him out of the house? That may help. Is there someone who can stay with you the first 2-3 days? That way you can get some sleep and see how things will go? If you do not have a friend is there someone you can hire for a couple of hours? Someone from your local church? A family member? You should be ok for about 2 days in a row (maybe more), but then not only will you need a break, but he will need a break as well. Some how, some way, us mother's always find a way to take care of ourselves and our children!!!!!!
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Thanks for advice!! I will def. be looking into some one coming over from church to help. I know my mother in law can def. come help during school time hours. She took care of me after my last surgery. But I am thinking maybe even scheduling my surgery on a thursday or friday as my husband will be home then. And my dad can help then too. I was thinking I would be able to be home and take care of my 4 year old that day. But what I am reading looks like that will be a no go. And true my little boy will need a break too. Its soo hard to figure all that stuff out now becuase I cannot even schedule my surgery utill the mid end of October. I am looking forward to it. But thanks for the idea' s they are good ones.
Unread 09-02-2011, 06:05 PM

That is a good idea to have the surgery on a thursday or friday. Have a back up plan if you do need to stay over night! Even though you can not schedule your surgery until October you can still get all of your ducks in a row with some help for when you come home from your surgery. That way if there are people that are able to come help out they can schedule properly for you!
Alot of what is on this site was helpful for me to be able get through it all. I just had to think a little further because of my 5 yr old. I just needed to get creative!!!! And as always we are here for you!!!! Anytime!!!!!
Unread 09-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Very good Idea! Thanks, I needed some one to help me think through this. I will find out. I know most my girl friends from church and bible study work during the day. But I am going to ask around. And start planning. It is driving me nuts to not know the date or time yet or anything. LOL>

Bless you
Unread 09-03-2011, 05:39 AM

Believe me it will all be ok!!!! If I can get through it anyone can! I am the type of person that has to have all those ducks in a row and if just one person removes even just one duck I feel like nothing will go right. As hard as it may be, you will need to take things a day at a time when you come home. There will also be things that you are not allowed to do.....if someone in your house can not dust & vaccuum on the day that you usually do it, if the dishes start to pile up, if the laundry gets backed up....it will all be ok!!!!! Just remember you need to heal the right way the first time!!!!! Things will all go back to the way they were before surgery.....except you will feel better!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register