Benefits of a TAH?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Benefits of a TAH?? Benefits of a TAH??

Unread 09-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Benefits of a TAH??

I'm still in debate over whether I want a LAVH or a TAH. I realize the recovery from a TAH is longer and more difficult (two previous c sections and last birth included twins), but I fear going into the OR assuming a LAVH will be done and waking up freaked out because that didn't happen. I also think that fibroids, being overweight, back pain and some other issues that suggest I should be under anesthesia and on the OR table for a shorter length of time rather than longer are also good reasons. It seems as if my doc will go either route; it's up to me. Did anyone choose a TAH for specific reasons over a LAVH?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2011, 08:26 AM
Re: Benefits of a TAH??

My doctor made the choice of a TAH over a LAVH because of difficulties doing internal exams. He felt that he wouldn't be able to complete a LAVH without complications. I'm also going to be under anesthesia, which I personally prefer. I know some sisters have said because of their pervious c sections they were not have to have the LAVH due to scaring, yet others it hasn't been a problem.

It seems to be a typical warning though, that if they are not able to do the LAVH it will turn into a TAH.
Unread 09-04-2011, 05:12 PM

My doc said a TAH is the only way we can go for me. The size and location prohibits any other option. If I could have had it done laproscopically, I would have though but I guess God had other plans for me and I am just trusting in him through the experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2011, 05:20 PM

I had a TAH and was told cause of my weight was 15 St 8lb that was the only op and better if there taking womb and cervix. Yes recovery is longer but there all messing with your hormones. I was in theatre for 1.5 hours but gone about 3 it's the putting you to sleep and waking you takes the time. I could never do any op awake. I had my op in Jan this year I have lost weight feel well in myself can do most stuff. But I still get very tired
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:49 PM

I did not have a choice about the type of surgery since my TAH was for cancer. I am 57, overweight, and out of shape. In spite of these negatives, my recovery went quite well. We all heal differently, however, it is possible to have a TAH and have a smooth recovery. The hardest part was staying in the 10# lifting restiction and no bending. I still tire faster than I wish, but am doing well 12 post-op.
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:07 PM

Okay you asked for the benefits of a TAH. Here is my list but remember that I am not a doctor so these are my opinions only:

1. The doctor can check things out better with an open incision.
2. Since the doctor can see better, there should be less damage such as nicked ureters, bladders, nerves, ect.
3. I would think there is less chance of hip/leg/nerve damage since you are laid out flat and not with your legs up in the air in stirrups.
4. You know that you are going to wake up with a cut on your tummy unlike expecting or hoping to have it done vaginally or laparoscopically and then waking up with an abdominal incision due to some complications.
5. If something bleeds, they are already in there and can stop it more quickly.
6. No risk of damaging the vaginal walls which sometimes happens with the instruments that they use.

Of course, having other types of hysterectomies also all have their own benefits but your title asked about abdominal surgery. I hope this helps.
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:37 PM

I also do not have a choice, I have a lot of scar tissue in my abdomen due to an ectopic pregnancy I had 3 years ago. They have tried to remove some of the tissue by going in with lap surgery but it still hurts and some of it is in spots that will not be able to be reached unless they go in abdominally. I would say that unless you have to have an abdominal because of cancer or tissue removal that I would go the lap route because as you know, the abdominal incision is really hard to come back from.. Good luck!!!!
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:37 PM

I was given the option by my doctor also and I chose a TAH. My primary reason for choosing this was that I wanted my Dr. to have a clear view of everything. He wasn't sure if he was going to remove my ovaries, or what other issues he would find. I decided I would rather know ahead of time what to expect.

I like Danni3II3's list. It is pretty much all the reasons I made my choice.

Best of luck to you. I am now 2 1/2 weeks post-op and happy with my decision.
Unread 09-04-2011, 11:19 PM

I totally agree with Danni's thoughts on the benefits of an abdominal hysterectomy vs. a less invasive technique.

I was scared to death of the abdominal incision, and it turned out not to be so bad afterall. My DR did a bikini cut and closed it with hidden stitches & steri-strips (vs. the staples some use). Since I've never had a body fit for a bikini, when she told me of her plans to do so I had to chuckle.

My tips: I swore by my belly binder, wore it during my month recovery and my first month back to work. I felt it really helped support the incision (and helped keep swelly belly at bay). My DR used steri-strips and said that the longer they stayed on the neater the incision would heal. I am sensitive to adhesive, so keeping the strips on for a week at a time drove me crazy. I kept the DR issued strips on the first 2 weeks, and after that I changed to a gentler tape and cut my own strips which I changed daily. When I showered with the strips on I simply rinsed the area (glad I had a hand held shower head), patted it dry & then used a blow dryer on low heat. Once I was able to shower without the strips I started washing the incision with a gentle anti bacterial soap. Never peroxide or anything too strong. Didn't even use any oil or cream (my DR didn't want me to the first month). My incision was a well-healed pink line after a month and has continued to fade each month since. If I ever do get that bikini body, I'm ready!

Good luck to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register