Scheduled TAH Sleeping on my side? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sleeping on my side? Sleeping on my side?

Unread 09-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Re: Sleeping on my side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerisnot View Post
Didn't you get to keep the compression stockings? I can't imagine that is something they re cycle.
Maybe they were something different. They were hooked up to something at the end of the bed that would pump air into them every few seconds. I can't remember what they called them, but it was something for the circulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2011, 12:48 PM

almost 3yrs after LVAH still cannot sleep on left side
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM

I was an exclusively left side sleeper until my TAH. My fibroids caused horrendous back pain, so I never could sleep on my back or my stomach. I can't wait until I'm all healed to see if I can sleep on my belly again! Used to be my most comfortable position EVER! I found my back was the most comfortable at first, but now if I am careful about it I can sleep on either side. Just have to fluff everything and get it just right before I lay down, and kinda ease myself into it. My best friend swore by a recliner after hers but I found it very uncomfortable. I suggest just trying to find whatever is most comfortable for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM

I had a TAH with a vertical incision (from just below my belly button down). I'm a side sleeper too and stomach. I can't stand to sleep on my back because my lower back locks up on me (I'm kinda sway backed so there's no support when I sleep on my back). In the hospital I slept entirely on my back, but more in reclined sitting position. Not completely flat. When I got home, I started on my left side and used a pillow for support. Then when my left side would fall asleep, I would rotate to my back for as long as I could stand it, then rotate to my right side. Rolling over and getting in and out of bed during the first week or so wasn't easy. It wasn't terrible, but it was the only time I could feel my incision. I had very little stomach muscles. Maybe because of the vertical incision as apposed to the bikini line incision. But, yea, I tried to sleep on my side all the time, but I would eventually have to turn because the arm and shoulder I was laying on would fall asleep. You'll just have to see what works for you. After about the 10th day or so, I had very little trouble rolling over and getting in and out of bed. By around the 3rd or 4th week I actually woke up on my stomach one morning. I was so excited!
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Sleeping on my side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aille View Post
Thank you. It's great to hear different answers so if I can or can't it's still normal. A little over 10 days to go and if this is my biggest stress I'll be very happy.
Hi Allie, I'm 4 days post-op TAH and after 24 hours the nurse removed my drain and catheter and I immediately went to my side with one leg cocked! I hate being on my back. I'm a right side sleeper too but I think this comes from years of yoga type exercise where we always roll to the right side, away from the heart, to open up blood supply to the whole body. So I think if u r a side sleeper, just grab a few squishy pillows and place them wherever is comfy for you, and you will be a happy baby! I had a great surgery and recovery experience and am feeling 100% four days later. I know you will too. This is the best thing I ever did (apart from marrying my darling and raising my kids!). My thoughts are with you.

Lisa xo
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Sleeping on my side?

down here in New Zealand we
call them 'Scuds' and I had them the first night but I got so hot I couldn't stand it the next night. But they do feel good! And they take your mind off things. I lay there counting the seconds between pumps. The hysterectomy girls version of counting sheep ... !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by undone View Post
Maybe they were something different. They were hooked up to something at the end of the bed that would pump air into them every few seconds. I can't remember what they called them, but it was something for the circulation.
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM

I had no trouble at all sleeping on my side....for some reason, it felt better to sleep on my left side though...not sure if that was because of the appendectomy or what???

I am a stomach sleeper and I missed that a lot. I have some back problems so sleeping on my back is not comfortable for me at all.

Hopefully you will be able to sleep the way that is most comfortable for you...you are going to need a lot of rest!

Unread 09-08-2011, 02:00 PM

I had a TAH with vertical incision and I felt okay sleeping on my side as long as I propped with pillows, it made getting out of bed easier, if I slept on my side. Turning from on my back, to the side, propping myself up to a sitting position was a long process done with much care!
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Aille, I am a left side sleeper and it too took me 3 weeks before I could sleep in bed left alone my side. I too agree that having a pillow to lay on is the only way to go. My TAH was June 11th and I slept sitting up with my head against the couch for 3 weeks. The pillow that I tucked under my side was very flat but provided enough support. To be honest I used that pillow until mid-August. Basically everyone is different and you have wonderful suggestions to try but if it is uncomfortable do not try to tough it out.

I will be thinking of you and sending prayers for quick surgery and an easy recovery!
Beth
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:23 AM

The first thing I remember when waking up in the hospital was the nurse handing me a perfect size pillow for my tummy. That little pillow has been my savior for getting comfortable. Even in the hospital I wrapped it against my belly so I could roll onto my side, & still use it now at 3 weeks post op.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register