Fibroids - Leaving cervix but taking fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fibroids - Leaving cervix but taking fibroids? Fibroids - Leaving cervix but taking fibroids?

Unread 09-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Fibroids - Leaving cervix but taking fibroids?

I have had a history of fibroids also. Had them in my breasts when younger, and now, have one that is growing in the top of my uterus. It is now the size of my actual uterus, which is enlarged to a 16 week state... So my Doc says it is like having one uterus on top of the other. I am anxious to have it out, because I can feel it, and pressure. Not to mention the horrendous periods for weeks on end.
I am scheduled for an LHS, leaving the Cervix, but taking ovaries for one week from today.
I am wondering about ovaries though. Right now I have scheduled to remove them, but do I really need to? I am 46 and my doc says I am right on the line of to keep them or get rid of them. I guess with my history of fibroids and polyps, I decided to have them removed so I don't have fibroids develop on the ovaries later in life (remove all risks, sort of thing).. but is that even possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Re: Fibroids - Leaving cervix but taking fibroids?

I have never read or heard of fibroids growing on ovaries. I elected to keep mine because the current medical wisdom is that they continue to benefit us even after menopause, and because surgical menopause can get ugly. I really didn't want to deal with it during recovery.

Other things can happen to ovaries, though, such as various types of cysts, so it is a decision to weigh carefully. My dr. removed an endometrial cyst from my left ovary; we didn't know it was there. Whatever you do, know that it is important to see your gyn as directed afterward for the sake of your health.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:21 PM

I would revisit the idea of taking your ovaries for the sake of your age. If they are healthy and you don't have a risk of ovarian cancer in your family, there is no reason to take them. Ovaries continue to produce hormones even after menopause and these hormones are geared to your body. If your ovaries continue to function after surgery (sometimes they "go to sleep and don't wake up"), you won't have to fool around with trying to get the right HRT for your body. This can be tricky at best.

My doctor wanted to remove mine also due to my age at the time of surgery (52) and I refused. He kept insisting, but dropped the issue when I told him that to be really preventative, he should remove my arms, legs and breasts. Then I would have no chance of getting those cancers too. At surgery, he found some minor endometriosis which he cauterized, and he told me that he discussed it with his resident about taking them out but he left them in because I had insisted. I am really really happy that he left them in. My hot flashes are annoying as it is with my ovaries in (and they are mild compared to other ladies), I can't imagine being thrown into surgical menopause. Bottom line, why remove a healthy organ.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-05-2011, 11:02 PM

I am 46 and had my SAH because of a large fibroid (the size of a 20-week pregnancy). I consulted three doctors before making the decision for surgery and all of them recommended keeping my ovaries.
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:26 AM

thank you everyone for the wisdom and advice. I guess I really need to study up on it more, at the very least to be able to make a more knowledgeable and educated decision.
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:32 AM

I am having ovaries, uterus (big I'm told due to the fibroids), and cervix removed. I chose to do it all as it removes the chance of cervial and ovarian cancer. Also, I've had some cysts on my ovaries.

I've decided to do the patch for HRT. I am looking forward to normal urinary health, rather than the urgency that has gotten worse the past year, probably due to the number and size of the fibroids.
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Hi there! My surgery is the same day as yours, I'm having an LSH leaving cervix and ovaries. Fibroids, by definition, grow only in your uterus; but endometriosis and cysts CAN develop on your ovaries.

As far as whether to remove the ovaries or not, I tend to lean toward the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" thinking. Of course, it's ultimately up to you and your doctor. I have a history of ovarian cysts, but am leaving my ovaries so I hopefully won't go into early menopause.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do! And look forward to seeing you on the "other side" too!
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:43 AM

As an FYI, fibroids can grow on the cervix. The cervix is not a separate organ but is the neck of the uterus. Thus, if the goal is to remove all places a fibroid could grow, then removal of the cervix would be necessary, not the removal of the ovaries.

And yes, we do have members on the site who have had a fibroid grow on the cervix post hysterectomy!

S
Unread 09-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Weiser is right, and if you have fibroids please talk to your gyn again if you are thinking about keeping your cervix. My gyn has had a patient whose cervix grew a large fibroid post-hysterectomy. That is exactly why I decided on a total hyster rather than a partial.
Unread 09-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiser View Post
As an FYI, fibroids can grow on the cervix. The cervix is not a separate organ but is the neck of the uterus. Thus, if the goal is to remove all places a fibroid could grow, then removal of the cervix would be necessary, not the removal of the ovaries.

And yes, we do have members on the site who have had a fibroid grow on the cervix post hysterectomy!

S
Hmm... It's interesting that none of the doctors I talked to were concerned about fibroids growing on my cervix post-hysterectomy. Maybe it's because I've only ever had one fibroid (though it was a large one)? Or maybe because I'm only a few years from natural menopause, and fibroids don't typically grow after menopause? They all just said as long as my paps have all been normal and there's no history of cancer in my family, then there's no reason to remove the cervix.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register