Small Ridiculous Moments | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Small Ridiculous Moments Small Ridiculous Moments

Unread 09-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Small Ridiculous Moments

Today, I experienced such a ridiculous pre-surgery moment that I have to share. I was on the phone with the medical secretaries, trying to get ducks in a row for my FMLA (the thing that lets you take time off work and still have a job to come back to.) Very clearly communicating to the secretary: upcoming surgery for fibroid removal, got bumped forward a couple weeks, please check my records for the doctor's note, etc.

She very competently looked up my file, read all about it, gave me all the information I needed to make sure I could pursue disability if I ran out of sick leave before I recovered...

...and then kindly alerted me to a wonderful state-funded program that offers extra Baby Bonding time to folks in my situation.

My exact words: "Um, it's a tumor. Not an infant. Don't think we're gonna cuddle after the surgeon gets it out."

I'd love to hear if anyone else has had one of those gotta-laugh-or-you'll-cry-your-eyes-out kind of moments on the yellow brick road to getting this stuff dealt with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Re: Small Ridiculous Moments

You should totally name your tumor.

I was trying to pee into a little cup at the doctors office (cause anywhere else would be awkward) and I missed and pretty much pee'ed (not sure about that spelling, I'm kind of illiterate) all over myself. It's very confusing. Some sort of directing the stream sort of thing. Anyways, I tried to cover it up by splashing water all over myself and then telling the nurse the sink exploded all over. I'm just that clever.
Unread 09-07-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turanga_4 View Post
She very competently looked up my file, read all about it, gave me all the information I needed to make sure I could pursue disability if I ran out of sick leave before I recovered...

...and then kindly alerted me to a wonderful state-funded program that offers extra Baby Bonding time to folks in my situation.

My exact words: "Um, it's a tumor. Not an infant. Don't think we're gonna cuddle after the surgeon gets it out."
Too much!!! Thanks for making me laugh

UpInTheAir - way to go - got to remember that one - I am going for my pre-op today - how is anyone supposed to hit that little cup to begin with ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-07-2011, 06:14 AM

LOL - this made me smile a bit. I actually named mine Fibriod Freddy. Yup did the whole peeing down the side of my leg as well. Pre-op this AM so hopefully all will go well =) Good Luck Ladies!!
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turanga_4 View Post

TOO funny!!! So glad you have such a positive attitude about everything and can keep your sense of humor!!! Thanks for sharing this...it made me laugh!!
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:42 AM

LOL!! Thus proving that she hadn't really been paying attention to what you were telling her? Gotta love it!!

I haven't had any funny moments yet but thanks to those of you who have for posting them here!!
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:42 AM

I just got off a call to the pre-op department of my hospital and the woman with my file in front of her asked if I was having a c- section. Um. No. LOL Goes to show you that people don't read.
Unread 09-07-2011, 10:48 PM

Ah, the wackiness. It continues.

I was initially scheduled for September 30th, but fibroid got angry and surgeon got a cancellation, so we're on an Accelerated Weight Loss Plan here at Turanga_Incorporated.

My "pre-op appointment" was initially scheduled for September 12th. I use scare quotes because my hospital actually does this as a PHONE CALL.

All right, whatever, but I realized today that perhaps they should be calling me to reschedule the whole calling me September 12th thing, as that would now be the night before surgery.

So I called them, and they offered me an alternative pre-op appointment of...September 17th.

Errr....

Transferred to the advice nurse, to at least get the basic questions out of the way. She reassured me that they did night-before pre-ops all the time, but if I insisted, she could maybe try to answer my questions.

Question #1: How soon should I stop taking vitamins and Motrin?

Answer: Ten days before surgery.

(Implied Question #2: If I hadn't called you, when were you fools actually going to tell me to stop taking vitamins and Motrin ten days before surgery?)

(Implied Answer #2: Sixteen hours before surgery.)

I'm thinking the MRI must double as a time machine, because otherwise, sequential order of events is a problem over there.
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:00 PM

That is one thing everyone facing surgery needs to ask is what meds to d/c. Include vitamins and herbs in this. Some of them can cause excessive bleeding post op. Too bad they don't think before their foot is in their mouth!
Unread 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM

Oh dear, ya'll are making me laugh! Not at you, but with you as I slowly work my way down the hyster road as well. Personally, I named my uterus "Esmerelda" . . . Bewitched, she was Samantha's Aunt that you had to love because she was family and wanted to do good, but usually didn't. I was a bit surprised when my Dr. referred to the size of my uterus as a 4 month fetus. I have no children, and obviously won't now, but really? A fetus? #1: don't call my crazy uterus a fetus and #2: I'm supposed to understand that why? So she broke it down to 5 golf balls and 3 tennis balls. Now THAT I can understand! Sending you all love and good wishes . . . what a road this is, huh? And laughing is sure better than crying!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register