radical hyst | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-12-2001, 08:38 AM
radical hyst

Has anyone had a radical hyst (instead of a total)?
My doctor says it is more extensive.
Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2001, 01:38 PM
radical hyst

Hi Paula,
Gosh...I always associated the two as one in the same. I thought radical meant everything is taken, and I thought total meant that as well.
But...I just ran out and checked www.google.com, and found out there is a difference Paula.

A total is the cervix, uterus, a total with BSO includes the tubes and ovaries, and a radical involves also taking tissue at the top of the vagina as well as some lymphnodes. So I learned something new today as well.

Are you scheduled for surgery Paula?

Hugs,
Maria
Unread 12-12-2001, 04:43 PM
radical hyst

Some doctors also include removal of the omentum--the fatty apron that surrounds the abdomen and is one of the first places for cancer cells to go when they start to move.

It can be a more difficult surgery because the lymph nodes can have several side effects and of course its far more messing around with your innards.

You should ask your doctor to be sure what was done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2001, 06:49 PM
radical hyst

Trish,
I had my omentum removed as well, I thought with cancer that was standard protocol. Can you share with me what you know about this. I also had lymph nodes removed ( as I matter of fact, my inner thigh is still quite numb). Thanks
Valentina
Unread 12-13-2001, 07:01 AM
radical hyst

My doctor said the lymph nodes and "tissue". I don't know if that includes the omentum or not.
I saw a drawing and the lymph nodes looked awfully far away from everything else. I didn't see anyone else specifically mention this, so I wondered if there is a longer recovery time or what. He also said I have to wear a catheter (coming out of the incision) for two weeks, because your bladder doesn't work well (guess it is bruised or something).
They finally called last night, and I am scheduled for December 28th at 10:30 am.
I am scared of surgery, but I am more scared to have cancer.
Paula
Unread 12-13-2001, 07:17 AM
radical hyst

Hi Paula!

I'm glad you finally have a date, especially one that's after the holidays.

I don't know if there was any difference in my recovery speed with the radical hyst (I normally just refer to it as a TAH/BSO for ease sake) . I also had the omentum removed along with appendix, numerous nodes and had a small resection on my bowel along with some additional cancer spread removed from other areas.

As far as the general healing from the surgery itself, I really haven't noticed too many problems. I could tell as I was healing when I had overdone something, I'd get a twinge that meant I needed to slow down. It was slow going to get back to where I didn't need to think before I did something like lifting but I did get there and can lift pretty much anything I had prior to surgery by about my 4th or 5th month post op.

I wish you the best on your upcoming surgery and pray that it is swift and uneventfull.

{{hugs}}

Vicki
Unread 12-13-2001, 12:40 PM
radical hyst

Hi Paula,
So glad they called you with the date.
I think we can all agree that we were nervous about the surgery but like you say, we were more scared of the cancer. I wish you the very best, and please post often with anything that comes to mind Paula. We are all here for you every step of the way!!
I know this is first and foremost in your mind, but try and enjoy your christmas, and then you will be in and out and back home resting before you know it!!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 12-13-2001, 08:45 PM
radical hyst

I had a radical hysterectomy in June 2000 for Stage 1B cervical cancer. My cervix, uterus, ovaries, top third of the vagina, and approximately 28 lymph nodes were removed. More tissue and supporting ligaments were also removed.

I also had a suprapubic catheter that I had to wear for a month after surgery. When the surgery is performed, the nerves around the bladder are bruised and sorta go into shock. Wearing the catheter gives those areas time to heal properly.

If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me.

I'll keep you in my thoughts on the 28th.
Unread 12-14-2001, 08:08 AM
surgery stuff

I really appreciate knowing other people are keeping me in their thoughts.
They were mentioning the last half of January for surgery, and then she said there was one date in December no one wanted, so I said I would take it. The waiting is driving me nuts.
The catheter sounds like a pain. I can see the reason for it, but I am not looking forward to it. The doctor says it is not as messy as it sounds, which I find hard to believe. That was one of the things he said that I thought surely he was joking, but he never laughed. (I had to try one of those smilie things, they are so cute.)
I broke the news to my parents this morning. She wants to stay with me in the hospital, but I am trying to steer her towards the laundry instead.
Paula
Unread 12-14-2001, 06:56 PM
radical hyst

Good luck as you are preparing for your surgery, Paula! I'll keep you in thought.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register