radical hyst - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-15-2001, 07:04 AM
Hi Paula

Hi Paula

I had a radical hyster on 10/30 for ovarian masses. I had many lymph nodes removed, biopsies, colon section, and extensive bladder repair. I had my omentum, cervix, uterus, ovaries & tubes and appendix removed. I had several tumors ranging in size from softball to baseball in size. They are pathed at Borderline Ovarian (LMP) Stage IIIB.

My repair on the bladder was deemed very difficult. I only had my catheter in for 5 days. I still have some discomfort going to the bathroom but it is getting better.

I feel pretty good after my surgery. I can not lift things and that is the most bothersome at this point. Yesterday I carried groceries and all night and this morning I am in pain and swollen.

Cancer fears are the worst! I have been afraid like you. Please know the waiting to hear is the worst part. You can deal with what you know. Knowledge is Power.

Take Care - RobinS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2001, 12:52 PM
surgery

Robin, you must have done really well to have all that done and only have a catheter for 5 days. The nurse told me they will check about taking it out after 10 days.
I hope your results get back soon and are good news.
Luckily, with Christmas in between me and my surgery (8 days!) I don't have a lot of time to think about it.
I got the book "Dr. Gaynors Cancer Prevention Plan" (I think it's called that) and I am going to use some things he recommends to help build my immune system back up. Obviously, something went wrong somewhere.
I still feel fine - it is hard to believe anything is seriously wrong.
Paula
Unread 12-26-2001, 05:20 PM
Good Luck with surgery

Hi Paula,
I am so sorry that I never sent you that article. We moved and just got internet connection back today. Good luck with your surgery and let me know how it goes. I'll still find that article.

-Denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-27-2001, 08:19 AM
hey Paula...

Hi Paula,

It's Darbygrl. I just had the radical hyst for stage 1b cervical cancer on 12/17.
Was told I would have the take home catheter, but I didn't have to take it home with me. Drink as much as they will give you when you are able to drink after the surgery. ( they did not let me drink anything for along time after surgery- did not know that before.)

Take a lot of Vitamin C - that is supposed to help boost immunity.

Prayers for you for tomorrow!!! Best of luck to you. You will make it. They will take good care of you.

I don't feel like I had all that taken out. It is uncomfortable- but each day gets better.

YOU"LL MAKE IT !!!!

DeEtte
Unread 12-27-2001, 08:41 AM
surgery tomorrow

Thanks, DeEtte and Denise.
Denise, it took me months to get my brain back after moving. I am impressed you remember anything. The article will probably make more sense when I am not so worried about the surgery, anyway.
I am hoping the catheter thing is not as bad as it sounds. I am going to try some vitamin C - that is a good idea. I read that cervical cancer patients are low in vitamins A and C.
I will be glad to get this over with!
By the way, it seems like they would want you to drink stuff, but I guess you have an IV so you won't get dehydrated.
Paula
Unread 12-27-2001, 08:48 AM
radical hyst

Hi Paula,

I think for me , not getting to drink was the wierdest. Yes, they hydrated me with an IV. They had it on full blast and kept commenting on how fast my cath bag would fill.
They gave me this "sponge on a stick" thing to moisten my mouth . I was so out of it at first - I just didn't get it. So maybe if they do that to you, you will know what it is.
They told me that they wanted my system to rest. They get in there and really move stuff around. They want to give your innards a chance to settle back in and settle down- so it can get ready to receive the lame liquid diet you will receive.

Good luck. I'll pray for you, the surgeon(s) and the staff that will care for you.
Unread 12-27-2001, 08:05 PM
Hello

Good Luck to you on your surgery. You are going to do great!

I forgot all about the sponge on a stick until I read it here. I had those too. I remember sucking on them for all they were worth!! I was so thirsty!!!

Take Care - RobinS
Unread 01-15-2002, 09:12 AM
home from surgery

Hi, everyone. The surgery was not so horrible (because I don't remember anything after they put some stuff in the IV). I vaguely remember recovery - lots of stuff beeping. They did the sponge on a stick thing, which felt wonderful at the time. Luckily, I had some chapstick my husband put on for me when I got to the room, because my lips were so dry they felt terrible, and that really helped.
I got the catheter out in a week, after I drove my husband crazy complaining about it. It had snowed about 8", but he said he would get me down to the hospital to get it out, and he did.
Now I can finally drive again! I have hardly any appetite, though. I guess it will come back soon enough.
And the doctor said the pathology report showed it had not spread!!!
Thank you, everyone, for your prayers and good wishes and answering all my questions!
Paula
Unread 01-15-2002, 09:27 AM
YEAH PAULA!

Glad to hear you are on the other side now.!!

High five on the path report-- mine is clear too. Isn't that a relief.
I am genuinly happy for you!
God is good.

Take it easy- seems like the old bod tells ya when you are in "over do it " mode.

If your bladder is acting funny at all- like spasms or cramping- don't worry- it mellows out after a few weeks.
I am at week 4 now and mine is just beginning to chill.

It can only get better from here!!!
Unread 01-15-2002, 09:54 AM
radical hyst

Hi Paula,
I was wondering what happenned. I'm glad to hear that everything went well! It took about a month for me to get my appetite back. Do you need further treatment or are you done? It sounds like your making a good recovery.

-Denise

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register