Last period?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last period?? Last period??

Unread 09-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Last period??

I have just started what is probably my last period, since my surgery is scheduled for the 27th. This one came early - only a 25 day cycle this time, when I've been going 40. Oh well, this way I probably won't be having to deal with this the week before surgery as I expected to be. Anyway, it has brought up emotions about the surgery I thought I was "past"....the wondering what if I waited & we could have one more baby in a few years. (Yeah, right, for a week before & another during my period I have very little energy, and for some reason my rectocele becomes MUCH more pronounced & painful.) I know that I can't go on like this for much longer, and my quality of life, my sex life, my ability to play with my kids are all suffering already, and it is only getting worse without surgery. So, the logical part of me is fully in the driver's seat on this, and I'm going forward, but there is a part of me that just wants to CRY. Anyway, I'm not sure what my point is, other than I'm a bit emotional, and needed to share with someone that might understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Re: Last period??

Hey abba,

I have the same surgery date! I feel the same way you do god willing we will be just fine. I do unstand all of what you feel im going thru the same emoitions at the moment too! Lets start looking at this postivly as a new begining for us......trust me I'm scared too!
Unread 09-08-2011, 03:05 PM

I just finished what turned out to be a 10 day period on the 3rd and yesterday realized that was probably my last period. It hit me like a sack of bricks! This is one of the things that has made my life an unpredictable mess, made me sad, angry, moody, depressed, wreaked havoc on my body for 35 years and here I am, stunned to think I may never have to deal with this again?
It doesn't make sense but as I tell my dh, most of what I feel these days doesn't come from my logic center; it's coming from my heart and my soul, neither of which have ever had much sense anyway, lol! I don't quite understand the reaction we're having, but I believe that, for women like us who have really suffered from their periods, it will become a positive in our post-operative lives when we realize our "frenemy" is no longer with us. I think it's a very human and very feminine reaction!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2011, 03:39 PM

Hi there! I can relate to your post . . . just finished my hopefully last period last Friday and my surgery is next week. I can't imagine what life will be like without three-week-long periods that come whenever and wherever they please, with little or no warning!

Best of luck to you . . .
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:44 PM

Sisters you will all do fine. I had my surgery (SAH) on 07/11/11, and i went back to work two weeks ago. I feel wonderful. I can understand how your feeling about losing your uterus. I had 4 large fibroids that made me look like i was 7 months pregnant my monthly periods were a horror. My last period was on June 30, two weeks before my surgery. I thought i would miss having my period. Let me say i do not miss having to wear granny panties or buy those over sized diaper pads. missing two-three days off from work because I'm bleeding to heavy. I can wear my light colored pants and my sexy underwear. Need I say now i can plan a vacation without checking the calendar so see when i will have my period. Sex is better than before. I kept my ovaries and cervix. I'm 47 and i feel good. I feel like i got a new lease on life.

You will be fine.
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:01 PM

I am brand-new to the site, by date is 10/4 and I didn't even think about the last, last period. wow.
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:07 PM

I had my surgery on aug 30. I to had that one last period. I had reservations about surgery and thought am I doing the right thing. I tried to convince myself, live with pain, and the 3 weeks of severe bleeding. After 1 day of my last period I knew I was making the right choice. I had a failed ablation, I highly recommend against them. I am 10 days post op and I feel amazing. I had laporscopic uterine romoval. The first 3 days were tuff, but as a mother of 2 busy girls, I looked at it as a mini vacation. The worst part of my pain was the gas, my shoulders and under my ribs hurt,and it was hard to take a deep breath. I drank a lot of mint tea which helped and by day 3 it was gone. I was terrified to have a bowel movement, 2 c- sections haunted me of that dreaded first poop. To my surprise it was fine, I took colace am and pm that helped a lot. I have no regrets I am looking forward to getting my life back again and not have it revolve around my period. I wish you all luck and prayers as you get ready for your surgery.
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:18 PM

I'm dealing with these emotions as well. I have complete faith that this surgery will improve my quality of life. My family has suffered along beside me for over 3 years. So much of the month I feel like I'm just going through the motions of living, but not living to the fullest. Too many times my children have heard me say, "No, Momma can't do this/that with you, I'm hurting right now". Too many times my husband has faced a lack of sex because of the pain/bleeding. Yes, he is patient and understanding, but he is still a man. I can't stand to see the hurt look in his eyes. Yet, still I am confused about it all. I'm sad that I'm leaving the childbearing phase of my life. I will be relieved if this ends the pain I've endured too long. So that is what I'm prayerfully anticipating.
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:35 PM

My poor husband too,and yes he is so understanding. My husband had a vasectomy several years ago, and although we were done having children I did have a hard time knowing that I wOuld not be capable of having children anymore. It hit me when I was in the waiting room for my pre-op and all these cute pregnant women were in there. It took me back to when I was in there shoes. I had to bring myself back to reality and get myself better for my family now. So many months have gone by where I was in to much pain to join in the fun, or I was pms ing so bad I would snap at everyone. I really see a fun filled future I want to be the fun loving care free person I used to be before my period issues. I want to be able to enjoy intimacy with my husban again and not dread hurting the next day or starting a period again. We had 1 week windows each month. I feel like a new person already. I wish you luck, and just think no more periods, wow I still have to remind myself and then I smile.
Unread 09-09-2011, 06:40 AM

I can sooo relate. I am scheduled Sept 26th for a total H and getting ready to start my last period. I for one will miss my periods. I love the monthly self analysis it brings. I dont have any children and my husband never wanted any, but that questions keep coming up. Like will I have a monthly mental clearing cycle? I think it is normal to self analyse. I thank technology for making this possible tho. I have been needing this for too long and there is no turning back. Just looking forward to recovery and cleansing the old and bringing in the new body. I have a very active career that is keeping me busy, but not busy enough that I have my cries almost every day that my body gave me such trouble since the first mentrual period. We have a transitional period to go through. Our focus determines our reality. Which I am trying to make this a rebirth of the woman I am going to be without pain in the long run. I am getting massages and other alternative treatments to ease into this new me. I hope I like her!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register