Does a day go by... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does a day go by... Does a day go by...

Unread 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Does a day go by...

...that you don't talk or think about your upcoming hysterectomy? My DH warned me not to talk about it this past weekend because he thinks I'm being a bit obsessive, but I did bring it up to some of our close friends (older ladies) and was inundated with offers of help, advice, comforting words and "princess" treatment!
I don't think he realizes how overwhelming this whole ordeal is, and the more I talk, joke and research, the better I feel. I'm also in pain. Every day. All the time. I may not whine all day, but it's there with me, whispering "You'll miss me when I'm gone, won't you?" I most certainly will not! This pain is my constant companion and it's hard to get through a day without having it kick me in the belly as a reminder.
I won't ask if I'm talking about it too much, because frankly, I think it's a subject women should bring up more often. Had I not said anything this weekend, for instance, I wouldn't have had the benefit other womens' successful hysterectomy stories, and they most likely would have thought I was just being a witch! Instead, they were able to sympathize and pamper me a bit, which is just what I needed this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2011, 05:52 PM
Re: Does a day go by...

I agree, I'm amazed how many friends, neighbors have had one and they are all positive and have encouraging words. All are assuring me I am doing the right thing and will be so happy once I've recovered. Good luck...mine is next Thursday and I'm so ready to get this done!!

SimKal
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:13 PM

I have had so much encouragement and support. One of the teachers at the school where I work came up to me today and told me she has been thinking about me and praying for me and gave me a hug. It is nice to know that others care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2011, 07:16 PM

People have been very supportive to me, too. So many people I know have had one, but I didn't know about it because it's just not something people talk about. I'm sure not an hour has gone by that I haven't thought about my upcoming surgery. It is like an obsession. I think it is because our uterus isn't just another organ, it's something that defines us as women. Even if we aren't sad to lose it, part of us has to grieve.
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:22 PM

I talked about my fibroid issue daily for 5 months. I was very lucky to have a friend (my walking buddy) who never said a word about having to listen to me day in and day out even though I am sure she was totally sick of hearing about it. I deal with stress through talking and she knows that. I can totally understand talking about it almost to obsession. I know I was doing just that.
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Not a day goes by for me that I don't think about it all. I named my uterus Esmerelda, and some days I can lug her and I out and mow and do yardwork, and some days we just can't muster that much energy. Husband doesn't understand and I know doesn't want to hear about any of it. He's tired of hearing about it. Today he told me to "make my appointment" not even knowing I have 6 or so others to make before surgery is an option. November is "good for him" and his work schedule. Geez, that's all I was waiting for, what was good for him.
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:01 PM

Not a day goes by that I dont think about my upcoming surgery. I do more reading every day. I have so many offers from friends and family to help me after I just know i will be ok. My husband is a long distance truck driver so trying to coordinate his schedule, the surgeons and mine is a chore in itself. I can hardly wait to have it done. I have no energy, and feel like a slug.
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:06 PM

A day does not go by. It hurts and the latest development is not being able to button up my jeans over this cysty/fibroidy tummy. My husband has been very supportive but I think he sometimes gets tired of hearing about it (which I kind of understand) and says "just try not to focus on it". I'm trying...

These boards are really wonderful because we're all going through it together. I haven't told many other women about this but the ones I have talked to have been totally supportive and encouraging.
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsAllnut View Post
...that you don't talk or think about your upcoming hysterectomy? My DH warned me not to talk about it this past weekend because he thinks I'm being a bit obsessive, but I did bring it up to some of our close friends (older ladies) and was inundated with offers of help, advice, comforting words and "princess" treatment!
I don't think he realizes how overwhelming this whole ordeal is, and the more I talk, joke and research, the better I feel. I'm also in pain. Every day. All the time. I may not whine all day, but it's there with me, whispering "You'll miss me when I'm gone, won't you?" I most certainly will not! This pain is my constant companion and it's hard to get through a day without having it kick me in the belly as a reminder.
I won't ask if I'm talking about it too much, because frankly, I think it's a subject women should bring up more often. Had I not said anything this weekend, for instance, I wouldn't have had the benefit other womens' successful hysterectomy stories, and they most likely would have thought I was just being a witch! Instead, they were able to sympathize and pamper me a bit, which is just what I needed this weekend.
Thanks you for the post.
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:48 PM

You are all so awesome! I didn't really need validation but there is truth in the adage 'safety in numbers"! I just feel better knowing there are so many of us silently going through the same struggles, just as women always do, and knowing that we can all share.
Charlotte11, I like that, naming your uterus. I think I'll have to find a good name for mine. You nailed it, some days she's up for the garden or a trip to the hardware store, then days like today she kept me planted firmly on my tushy! Don't get me started on DH's and their schedules! Someday, I hope to be able to work again and have to fit other people's stuff into MY schedule! :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register