First Post! Hyst next Wed..emotional & needing advice - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First Post! Hyst next Wed..emotional & needing advice First Post! Hyst next Wed..emotional & needing advice

Unread 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Re: First Post! Hyst next Wed..emotional & needing advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchy View Post
Hello ladies, as stated, I am slated to have my hysterectomy this coming Wednesday, Sept. 14, and I have been given two options as to the procedure.

I am 41 and I am leaving my ovaries, by the way.

I can do this vaginally, which will leave me without any abdominal scars, but will remove my cervix. Or, I can have it laparoscopically, leaving my cervix in tact, but leaving me with the incision scars.

I spoke at length with the physician, and she ended up advising me to do it vaginally, to avoid the scarring. However, she did tell me two major drawbacks to this.

She told me that with my cervix removed, I will lose the lubrication that it secretes during sex, thus, sex will be "drier". Secondly, I have a potential of vaginal wall collapse/prolapse in about ten years.

Knowing this, she still advised me to have it done vaginally, but is leaving it up to me.

In a word: HELP!!! I in no way want an inferior sex life, having to rely on artificial lubrication, and I do also wonder about others' testimonies of loss of pelvic support over time.

I am aware that there are many many posts here that cover this topic, but I need some immediate helpful advise. Please, can someone counsel me and also point me to the best place for support for this decision on this topic?

I really can't make this decision alone, and am soliciting all the support in making this crucial decision I can get. Also, I could not find a way to post this anywhere else but here, ie a topic-specific forum. Help here would also be so appreciated!

Blessings and thanks to all who can help me in this emotional time for me,

Colleen

I was also worried about this!! I was worried about the scarring cause my abs are in good shape and no stretch marks. But you know what.......I 'm very surprised how small they are and once they get more lighter you cant see them. You dont really see the pelvic scar cause its cover by your hair and the one in the belly button from what I read you wont even see that one really. The 2 on the sides of the belly button are less then 1/4 inch and not bad at all. I wanted to save my cervix cause of the benefits it has. But I cant make your decision for you but if I had to do it over again I would do the same surgery and have a LSH done. Oh also LSH has a quicker recovery time then the other procedure. Good Luck to you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2011, 07:19 PM

Oh and for the periods I dont have one and still have a cervix. He Cauterized I believe its called it so I will not have any periods.
Unread 09-12-2011, 09:23 PM

Hi I don't know if this is to late to help. I have no choice my cervix will be removed. So after reading your post I got abit concerned .
I have done a little research as I remembered looking up years ago, WARNING TMI:
Sometimes when you wipe yourself on the toilet or dry yourself with a towel, and have the egg white sort of stuff coming out,
This is from one of the glands in the vagina called Bartholin's Glands, located on each side of the vaginal opening and produce some of your natural lubricant.
The other is called Skene's Gland located on the anterior wall of the vagina and also produce lubricant.

I'm so glad I looked that up because I thought I would need to use lubricant when my cervix is removed.
Goodluck on your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisas4 View Post
Hi I don't know if this is to late to help. I have no choice my cervix will be removed. So after reading your post I got abit concerned .
I have done a little research as I remembered looking up years ago, WARNING TMI:
Sometimes when you wipe yourself on the toilet or dry yourself with a towel, and have the egg white sort of stuff coming out,
This is from one of the glands in the vagina called Bartholin's Glands, located on each side of the vaginal opening and produce some of your natural lubricant.
The other is called Skene's Gland located on the anterior wall of the vagina and also produce lubricant.

I'm so glad I looked that up because I thought I would need to use lubricant when my cervix is removed.
Goodluck on your decision.
Aha! I wondered what that Bartholin's gland was for besides getting infected once in a while and making me crazy, lol!
Thanks for the info, you've given me something else to research. :-)
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:51 PM

thank you so much for that comforting bit of information. After all was said and done, I did end up having the vaginal hyst. and my cervix was removed. Dr. explained to me that it was so severely prolapsed it had to go.

This info you posted is comforting to me, since I was told of the potential of "drier" sex.

All the very best!
Colleen
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:18 PM

I'm happy to hear you've come to a decision. I just finished this discussion with my gyn. She says the cervix does not provide lubrication during sex. It does have a mucosal discharge (that can be very useful!) and is useful for women who only achieve orgasm through deep penetration. To be fair, I have searched for more information and am coming up with very little to support either keeping or losing the cervix. The studies done are usually single studies without a lot of follow up, possibly because the medical community hasn't deemed it important enough or (I like to think) we are such complex and mysterious creatures that it is impossible to discover all there is to know about us, lol!
I, personally, have been haunted by a constant unpleasant discharge since my UFE, so I am preferring to let her take the cervix; however, since that likely isn't an issue for you, then the choice should be between you and your doc, which it sounds like you made the best one for you! Good luck with your surgery. See you on the other side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarchy View Post
Hey, I just want to say a big thank you to you ladies who took the time to answer me and tell me a little of your own reasoning as well. Each and every post is so appreciated.

Wow TangoRomeo, we are going in on the same day! I'll be thinking of you. And Mel, you are just two days after. This is an unusual type of camaraderie, isn't it?

Well, I made my decision after lots of late night post reading and independent research...I am having it laparoscopically and KEEPING MY CERVIX! I have had no abnormal paps and honestly, would love to have a thriving sex life again one day if God blesses me with marriage again. I have put lots of time and prayer into this and I have peace about this decision.

I totally understand as well the reasoning for some to remove it, and I am really happy to hear those of you speak of great sex post-removal. Our bodies are wonderful, accommodating things, aren't they?

Thank you all again. It is so comforting to know this community is here. I will be back visiting on the post-op side in a few days!

Colleen
Unread 09-21-2011, 02:36 PM

wishing you a speedy recovery.
Unread 09-21-2011, 07:43 PM

Thank you MrsAllnut for your comforting words. They bring relief and hope to this sensitive subject! Thank you to all foir your well wishes. I am one week post op today! Wow! So looking forward to each new day as it comes...
Huge blessings to you all...
Colleen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register