Scheduled TAH Newbie seeking support | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie seeking support Newbie seeking support

Unread 09-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Newbie seeking support

Hi Ladies,
My surgery is exactly one week away and I am terrified. My fears are mostly focused on everything that could go wrong. I know I have to have this done, due to a diagnosis of Stage 1A Endometrial Cancer. But, it doesn't make me any less afraid. I guess I'm just afraid of the unknown, since I've never had surgery before. Any ladies that have just gone through this, and could send me some stories of encouragement, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Re: Newbie seeking support

Hello, I had the same diagnosis as you and never had surgery before. My was done assisted robot davinci. Mostly what i felt was discomfort more than pain. If you have more questions feel free to ask. I just got the procedure in August of this year. Take care
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:11 PM

I totally understand your fear. I'd never had any surgery before my hysto and I was really scared, too. But, honestly, it was much easier than I'd expected. The surgery itself was a non-event; the anesthesiologist put the IV in my arm in pre-op, everything went dark, and then I woke up in post-op. It seemed like only minutes later. Everything went smoothly.

I spent three nights in the hospital, and the worst part for me was nausea from the pain meds. The first time they got me up to walk, I won't lie, it was difficult and painful. But it gets easier every time, so don't let that freak you out the first time.

The pain really wasn't that bad at all. After the first few days, it was mostly just soreness and discomfort. It's taking a long time to get my energy back, and I still have to be careful about lifting or bending or overdoing it. But I already feel better than I did before my surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2011, 02:16 AM

Thank you for your replies, it really helps talking to other ladies going through this. Much love coming your way, along with well wishes for a speedy recovery. <3
Unread 09-09-2011, 03:50 AM

Hi HK - I understand your anxiety. Try to find something else to focus on this week. Plan things to make your patient's (you!) life easier post op, go to happy movies, start a funny book, get your bills done. Talk to your doctor for anxiety pills if needed. It's a common request, as I hear. This is surgery you must have, it sounds like. It was more discomfort for me, too. Not pain like if you broke something. Plan to sleep a lot after. Go easy on yourself. Don't let them push you out too early. Pain meds made me sick once I got home on Day three, so I switched to motrin. Take your stool softener and vitamin c. You'll do fine. Sleep well HK!
Unread 09-10-2011, 01:10 AM

Thank you Crystal. Take care and hope you're feeling back to normal very soon. <3
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:18 AM

I had my surgery today single port TLH and I'm going to say it's really not that bad. The waiting was worse for me. I can deal with pain better than worrying and all the what Ifs. It took 3 hrs to do the surgery I went in at5 and was home by 2:30. The pain is not to bad. I'm not trying to be superwoman so I am on pain meds
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:25 AM

Sorry hit wrong button the gas pain I'd almost like a burning sensation but gas x works well and I have been sleeping alot. All and all it is not that bad. Vacant had a bm yet but taking stool softener will see. But I hope everything works out for you I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry so much it's not that bad and it is over quick then you are on the path to a new and healthy you. Thanks
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:37 AM

Hi there!
I understand your fears! I had never had surgery either and I'm 62.
I had to have a TAH/BSO - possible cancerous uterine tumour - but it turned out to be nothing like the ultrasound and CT scan had showed. Just a benign dermoid cyst on one ovary behind the uterus. Still, I had the full works. Pelvic washing, removal of cervix, uterus, tubes, ovaries, and I have a long vertical incision. My op. was at 10.30 a.m. on Tues 30th Aug.
The surgery prep. was not as scary as I expected because the team involved were so kind, cheery, and reassuring, explaining everything as they went along. I had a spinal epidural before the anesthetic and that gave me a long term post-op. pain relief. Next thing I was in the theatre, and the next thing I knew was waking up!
I had a catheter and a PDA pump (Fentonal (sp?)) for a couple of days and slept well during the nights. I was the most "major" surgical patient there at the time, so I had my own room, toilet and shower. I can't remember if I had my first shower the next day or not... but it was when I was still trailing the catheter and pump. I was vomiting the day after the op. and that was horrible... and painful! I did not regain my appetite for many days, even after I came home. Was in hospital 5 days. I even had one more random vomiting day about 3 days after I came home; I guess because I was forcing myself to eat a good high fibre diet my body didn't want at that point. And also, my bowels would have been shoved around during the open-incision surgery and they do sulk! Plus the many chemicals I had taken in during that time, and I have a small frame.
I was given stool softeners in hospital but didn't have a BM till day 4 and it was not easy! Nor was day 5! I've had no problem at all since, and I never needed any further stool softeners etc because I eat plenty of fruit and drink lots.
I have just taken paracetemol and ibuprofen since I left hospital and it has given me adequate pain relief, but we are all different in our pain tolerance.

I'm rambling on now!!
You will do OK, and before you know it you will be on the long road to recovery!
Unread 09-10-2011, 07:22 PM

Hi there! My surgery is this week as well. It will be my second this year and I am actually very calm and confident about what to expect. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register