Scheduled LSH HPV: Keep the cervix or not? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HPV: Keep the cervix or not? HPV: Keep the cervix or not?

Unread 09-09-2011, 06:24 PM
HPV: Keep the cervix or not?

I have been reading some forums on this site today. I was told the other day that I was having my hysterectomy and everything was being removed, except for my cervix. Part of me was relieved, but now I am extremely worried and confused.

I have been diagnosed with HPV in the past. I even had an outbreak so bad when I was first diagnosed that spots had to be lasered off of my uterus and cervix. However, It has been dormant for a few years now. I hadn't even thought about this as a possible complication with the hysterectomy decision of keeping my cervix or not.

Could someone please give me some advice. I am scheduled for surgery on Monday Sept. 12, 2011. Should I talk to my Doctor about removing the cervix as a precautionary measure. This isn't something that I had openly talked to with my doctor, but I know that it's in my file. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Re: HPV: Keep the cervix or not?

HI Tabitha,

Should you talk to your doc about your cervix and whether it stays or should it go....totally you should! I think going into surgery, you need to have total and complete piece of mind and any 'wondering' should be discussed with your doc. When you're on the stretcher being wheeled in to the OR you want to have a smile on your face that reflects your contentment with your decision - no worries, no regrets.

At the end of the day, it's your body you live with not the doctors, so ask away!

Big hugs and wishing you every good thing on Monday. Take good care of yourself, you're worth it!

Val
from just north of Toronto, Canada
Unread 09-09-2011, 07:32 PM

Val,

Thank you so much for your input. I hadn't even considered HPV being a issue with keeping my cervix or not...I hadn't thought about the cancer issue associated with HPV.

Thank you again. I will keep you in my prayers for your surgery as well. I will let you know how it goes.

Hugs and prayers,
Tabitha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM

Hi Tabitha, I am 7 weeks post op. I had my cervix and uterus removed. I also have HPV. I found out I had HPV after an abnormal pap test. I had a biopsy, then a LEEP procedure. The gyne wanted two clear biopsies after the LEEP before he would release me but my cervix scarred so badly that it closed up and was so tight he could not obtain further biopsies (and these were very painful even with a local anesthetic). And since my cervix was so tight my period couldn't get through. I tried medication to stop my period but I continued to cramp every day for months on end. I'm not sure what the indications are for your surgery but I think it's very important to discuss this with your doctor. As difficult as the decision for surgery was for me, my big comfort is that I Never have to worry about cervical cancer and I Never have to walk back into the colposcopy clinic again! I wish you best of luck and I'd love to know what you decide.
Unread 09-09-2011, 07:54 PM

Thank you so much for your input.

I have always had good pap tests. I just had constant heavy bleeding and pain. So I had an endometrial ablation and laparoscopy in July. That is when they found that I had extensive endometriosis. So bad that things were stuck together. After the ablation, the pain never went away. The cramps were as bad as they ever were, sometimes worse.

I am just worried now, because I am having the surgery on Monday. He is removing everything except for the cervix. I am scared that because of my past history with HPV that this could lead to cancer later on if I leave my cervix.

I plan to talk to my doctor at the hospital on before surgery on Monday. I am going to discuss the HPV with him and see if going ahead and removing my cervix might be a better option. I just had surgery almost 7 weeks ago, and now having the hysterectomy....I want to avoid any future surgeries if possible. I don't want to play a hit and miss game of on and off surgery and healing....surgery and healing.

Thank you for your input. I will definitely keep you posted.
God Bless
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:03 PM

There is always the adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and if your paps have stayed normal, that's a good sign. And there are advantages to keeping your cervix if it's healthy. It's too bad you don't have more time to discuss with your doctor. I was thinking if you have troubles down the road it can always come out then, but it's understandable that you don't want another surgery!
Unread 09-09-2011, 08:28 PM

I know. I wish that I had thought or read about this sooner. I would've loved to have talked with my doctor about it at my pre-op. Or if I had read about it earlier, then I could've called the office. Now I am going in approaching it last minute.

He may have read it in my history and looked into it himself, because since Mar., I've had 2 paps looking and checking for different things, and he said that they have came back good.

I will let you know what happens
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Hi I too have HPV (23yrs now) and have had cysts frozen off and lasered off in the past. I also had the LEEP procedure. My last 2 paps were normal but I have been dealing with irregular bleeding and clots for the past year and I have been through ENOUGH!

I am THRILLED to be having a hysterectomy with the removal of my cervix. It is such a relief and less to worry about. If I could avoid it I wouldn't want to have another surgery down the line either. Your doctor will already be where he needs to be so there is no problem telling him you want the cervix removed if you decide to do so.

Please keep us posted and I wish you the best.
Unread 09-10-2011, 05:51 PM

You need to make sure your doctor knows about your past issues with HPV. Even though the information is in your file that does not mean your doctor really saw all of it--especially if he was not the treating physician--or connected your past with your current surgery.

I would suggest making a phone call to your doctor's office rather than waiting until Monday morning. For one, sometimes we don't get to see the surgeon prior to surgery for one reason or another. Also, there are consent forums that need to be filled out and in Pre Op there may not be time to allow for the necessary paperwork adjustments and possible insurance approval. Plus, your scheduled slot in OR may also not include the necessary tools and/or time allowance for a complete hysterectomy vs. a partial one without a little bit of notice.

With your HPV history, I strongly recommend talking this over with your doctor ASAP so that you both can be prepared for the right surgery for you on Monday morning.

s
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Everyone is out of the office until first thing Monday morning...however, my surgery isn't scheduled until 11:00am. So I plan on calling the office by 8am. My doctor said that he would meet with me prior to surgery to discuss any last minute things.

Thank you for your input though. This has really weighed heavily on my thoughts and my sanity. I have been so worried about whether to keep it or not. I really don't want to have another surgery later on.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register