Not Scheduled Will I really need 4-6 weeks off? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I really need 4-6 weeks off? Will I really need 4-6 weeks off?

Unread 09-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Will I really need 4-6 weeks off?

Two weeks ago, my doctor recommended a TAH. I have endometriosis, cervical dysplasia, ovarian cysts and heavy periods. Since the appt. I have had a transvaginal ultrasound, abdominal ultrasound, mammagram and bloodwork. I am anemic with a hemo of 8. I am afraid of what the tests might reveal and even more afraid of all those weeks of no income. I am a single mom of 2 teen boys in Fl. We don't have any state short term disability and my employer doesn't offer it. Do I really need 4-6 weeks. I have a desk job. Also, does anyone know of any assistance that I might qualify for during this time? I am deathly afraid my doc will find cancer and my surgery will just be the beginning. Has anyone supplemented their income with any online jobs? I am so afraid of all of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Re: Will I really need 4-6 weeks off?

The one question that you have that I can answer is your original one. Yes you will need that amount of time off. There might be one lady out of 100 others that can go back earlier, but chances are that you might even need more than 4 to 6 weeks. I kept my cervix and ovaries so my surgery was not as invasive as the one you are facing and there is no way I could have gone back earlier than 4 weeks. At 6 weeks, I am sure I would have been okay but the doctor had given me a note for 8 weeks and with Xmas holidays in there, it ended up being 9 weeks. That was perfect for me and the job that I do. I am an elementary school principal in a building with tons of stairs. I hope this helps.
Unread 09-10-2011, 03:47 PM

Thank you so much for your response. I am nervous, but optimist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2011, 04:00 PM

Hi, you will definitely need at least 6 weeks for recovery, my doctor said 8 weeks off no matter what kind of hysterectomy you have had
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:07 PM

My doctor is saying 6-8 weeks for my TAH, possibly longer. I know I'm crossing my fingers to go back to work in 8 weeks, but I have to lift, carry & stand. Not to mention squat a lot. Personally, I'm taking part of my recovery time to search for a desk job.
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:20 PM

Hi there! I'm having an LSH, so a different method, but my doctor did tell me that if I was having an abdominal procedure or even a vag-assist I would need at least six weeks off. (I'm having an LSH, and will need 2.) I wish you all the best!! Do you have the ability to telecommute? I don't know of any programs to help financially but your hospital might have a social worker who could help. Be careful of online jobs . . . a good number of them out there are scams. I wish I could be more helpful. Please take care of yourself and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts!
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:41 PM

thank you
Unread 09-10-2011, 05:47 PM

Florida has a short-term Medicaid program for families with dependent chiildren who are facing extraordinary medical expenses. Call Department of Children & Families in your county and they can help you with the application process - you may also be able to get started on-line, but I'd really suggest talking to someone, it seems to move a little faster that way. Good luck to you and remember that you have to take care of yourself first. If you don't, you're not going to be able to take care of anyone else. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:29 PM

Im in the same boat. I am general mgr of a hotel and mainly do desk work. However i am required to walk the hotel and do room inspections which requires lots of walking, bending and stooping. When should i safely be able to return without harm
to myself.
Unread 09-10-2011, 07:16 PM

Thank you so much. It really does help. I have enough going on in my mind without worrying about finances. Again, thank you so much.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register