Not Scheduled Will I really need 4-6 weeks off? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will I really need 4-6 weeks off? Will I really need 4-6 weeks off?

Unread 09-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Re: Will I really need 4-6 weeks off?

To echo what others have said, YES, absolutely plan for at least 6 weeks off. Before my SAH I optimistically thought I might go back in 4 weeks, but I went ahead and put in my leave paperwork for 6 weeks as recommended by the doctor. This Wednesday I was at four weeks and there is NO WAY I could go back to work right now. Sitting upright for more than a couple hours at a time makes me very sore. I'm easily fatigued and need 9-10 hours of sleep every day. I'm planning to go back to work on 9/26 and work only half days for the first week, to ease myself back into the regular schedule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2011, 09:20 PM

There are a few work at home jobs that I know are legit, but depend on if you have a quiet working environment. Most of them are phone jobs, so they don't want the people you're talking to to know you're working from home. They are not cold calling, the people call you. There's Arise, www.arise.com and West, www.westathome.com. Those are two that I can think of right now, but a great website to check out is www.workplacelikehome.com and www.ratracerebellion.com. Good Luck with your recovery!
Unread 09-11-2011, 12:16 AM

Hi,
I am taking 4-6 weeks and I am having a LAVH, which is less traumatic for the body. I understand about the money though, my husband and I are living paycheck to paycheck right now and barely making the important bills- so I am very nervous about what will happen with this time off. I had to do it though, I was missing so much work, so much life, living the way I am. As far as work from home stuff, Kim Commando ( the radio host) has links to legitimate online work, or work from home stuff. One of the websites I found is elance.com, they have opportunities to do different stuff- like data entry, or writing, on a contractual basis. Hope this helps and good luck to you.
Merr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2011, 08:27 AM

Thank you so much for all of the great information. I am so glad I found this site. I am now going to make sure that my doctor signs my paperwork for atleast 8 weeks now with all the info Ive received.
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:28 AM

Thank you for the information.
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:19 PM

My doctor originally told me six weeks no work, six weeks no driving. I had to be off work for seven weeks because I had complications from my surgery. My incision got infected and needed to be hospitalized again for five days and then a home nurse for about a month until the incision closed and healed. I was only in the hospital for two days after surgery. I had enough medical leave accumulated to cover my days off work.

As far as financial help, I know someone who had no insurance, but had a son at home who was working and able to help with the rent, etc. She was referred by the surgeon's office to a hospital social worker who helped with the paperwork. I'm not sure, but I think she was able to get food stamps as well. She had two other children at home who were under 18. I think it will go faster if the social worker helps. I think they get a form from your doctor that indicates surgery is necessary. I assume they will want to see proof of income, including last year's tax return. The social worker should be able to tell you what is required for the financial help.

Hope this helps.
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:38 PM

If available, take advantage of household help. Under no circumstances should you be doing vacuuming and other household chores that require manual labor. If you have a daughter, ask her to help. Friends have helped me by taking me to the grocery store and out for a quick meal -- just to get out of the apartment. Don't carry any heavy objects though. I started to pick up a 12-pack of ginger ale to put on the check-out counter and then thought -- I can't do that! My friend carried the groceries into the apartment for me. She put the ginger ale into the refrigerator for me. You don't think of it being heavy, but it will pull on your lower abdomen and remind you that you just had surgery.

Another thing I learned about was that churches have members who help each other out in crises. Some even bring meals to the family. A single mom would appreciate these things. I didn't need any outside help because my family and friends helped me.

Hope all goes well for you and everyone else who may need help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register