Scheduled TAH How much help is needed? Pregnancy mentioned | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much help is needed?  Pregnancy mentioned How much help is needed? Pregnancy mentioned

Unread 09-10-2011, 04:23 PM
How much help is needed? Pregnancy mentioned

Although I don't live alone, my husband has to go back to work the day after I get home from the hospital. Even trying to book him off for the day I come home has been hard because they say 3-5 days in. I walk with a cane because my balance is off from a really bad break a few years back.

How much help did you all need on day 3 or day 5 in getting around? I have a very small 300sq/ft apartment, no stairs and an elevator for if I need to leave the building. I don't have anyone in my area who can come and help; my sister is 7 1/2 months pregnant with her 3rd, or she'd come help & my mother is across the country.

We've already made plans to have small microwavable meals set up for while he's at work. Plus I purchased a grabber incase I dropped anything, and both my canes are in easy reach.

My basic concern is getting through the apartment on my own, how much help do you need getting out of bed that first week, or off the couch (I don't have a recliner or a lazy boy)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2011, 07:46 PM
Re: How much help is needed? Pregnancy mentioned

Getting around will be fine after the first couple of days. You will be slow, and need to take your time but you will be up and around. It's a good idea to have pre-made meals, drinks, snacks etc all ready to go when you need them. Also, have a spot in mind that you will be spending your day, that way you can have your meds, coasters, pens, books etc right there for when you get home. Also have some of those same things at your bedside or wherever you plan to sleep.

You won't be able to do much bending for a few days, so keep that in mind. They do want you up and walking though, so you will need to be up and down from the time you get home. The more you sit or lay, the harder it is to get up and moving. I made it a point to be up every hour or two. Even it was just to get up and go to the bathroom, get a drink, or even just look out the window. I'd take short walks in the backyard, but if your in an apt. and have an elevator you can get out that way or even a walk down the hallway and back to start with.
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:00 PM

You should be OK to get around within a day or two after you get home, as long as you take it easy and move slowly. The grabber is a GREAT idea. I didn't think of that beforehand and had to order one online after I got home from the hospital, and it definitely made life easier once I got it. Be very careful not to lift anything over 5 lbs. for the first couple of weeks (and nothing over 10 lbs. for at least a month), and try to avoid bending or stooping/squatting as well. In addition to having microwavable meals prepared in advance, make sure all your dishes, silverware, glasses, etc. are within easy reach and move anything you're likely to need during the day from high shelves or low cupboards.

I live alone and my mom came to stay with me for the first week. But as long as your husband will be home in the evenings to take care of things you can't do for yourself, you should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2011, 08:05 PM

I also found a bellybinder very helpful in moving around. It's been 4 1/2 weeks and I still wear it at night. Helps when I roll on my side to get out of bed. Good luck to you!
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Thank you ladies. I JUST found out that my husband can't even take the day off for when I get out of the hospital. He'll be able to pick me up, take me home, then have to leave for his other job. I'm more than a little concerned about that, but we do what we have to get through this.
Unread 09-11-2011, 01:07 AM

Would you happen to have a neighbor that could check in once or twice a day just to do a couple of things you may not be able to? Or to have incase of emergency? You may be just fine but each person isdifferent and a emergency friend could be a life saver.
Unread 09-12-2011, 12:06 AM

I really don't know anyone in my neighborhood. When I was scheduled for June, I would have had someone with me, but they've moved 3 hours away for a new job, so they can't drive out to help.

I feel like I can't tell my husband just how scared I am about not having someone here. He picked up a second job just so that we'd be able to pay bills when we found out I needed this and he's out of the house for sometimes 16 hours, and works 7 days a week. If be gets a chance to come home bwtween jobs, he usually takes a nap & I'm just worried that I may not be able to care for myself properly.

I think I'm going to see if they can keep me for the five days due to lack of a home caregiver. Of course if I'm feeling good, I'm going to want to go home.
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:00 AM

Hi Allie - Perhaps a home health nurse could stop by to check on you. You could try contacting your Dr or the nurse or Physicians assistant at your Dr.s office to get info on this or if they can help arrange something for you.
I see that you have received some excellent suggestions for being prepared. I would also add buy Gas-X, stool softner, Milk of Magnesia(just in case) and gowns to wear after. It feels much better with nothing binding on the waist.
There have been other posts on preparing for post op that would also be helpful to read. Good Luck to you; let us know how you are doing; Big Hugs!!!
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:36 AM

Great tips! I would also add to make sure to tell the nurses etc. at the hospital that you won't have any (or very little) help at home; they can help you work on strengthening and teach you ways to move on your own that might make life a little easier.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register