Anxious with 2 weeks to wait | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxious with 2 weeks to wait Anxious with 2 weeks to wait

Unread 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Anxious with 2 weeks to wait

Hi everyone,

My TAH is scheduled for 2 weeks from now, due to fibroids, cysts on one ovary, unexplained and severe pain in the other, and a slightly elevated CA125.

I'm worried about the recovery and the pain, and worried about how I won't be able to do much for myself. I'm not used to relying on friends and family, and they're all going way out of their way to help me. They're being amazingly supportive, and I'm worried about being a burden. My girls are very busy and involved in a lot, and I won't be able to get them around, so I worry that they'll miss things or that my husband will start feeling pressured and resentful (though he has been amazing, too).

I'm not sad about losing my uterus, my periods have been horrid since I was 10. I wish I could keep my ovaries, but they're causing me grief too, so I will get over that. I am feeling ripped off that I have to go through this at all, though, after a lifetime of pain and stress (haven't I gone through enough?) and feeling guilty for feeling sorry for myself! Lots of people have it way worse!

Also, I'm extremely anxious about surgical menopause. Will I be a crying fool? I feel that way already in the past couple of days. Will I snap at my kids for no reason? Will I be horrible to my husband? Will I be rude to friends? What if I start getting forgetful? When will I be able to run again? Should I ask my dr. to have the estrogen waiting, or should I wait awhile? When will I be able to leave the house?

Glad I found you all, and I've spent lots of time reading this morning!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Re: Anxious with 2 weeks to wait

Wow! Your day is almost here! Since I kept my ovaries, I don't have any words of wisdom for you about menopause. I hope it isn't too bad for you. It sounds like you've already been through quite a bit. I hope you have a very successful surgery and very uneventful recovery! Hang in there!

Deb
Unread 09-21-2011, 05:53 AM

I had a TAH/BSO 3 weeks ago, and I know some of your fears.

I live alone and didn't know if I'd cope afterwards. Didn't WANT anyone living with me, but knew I could count on help from relatives. My sister and bro in law came from another city to stay with their son and family near where I live for 10 days and my sister did housework for me etc. I found that really helpful but I didn't actually get enough rest while they were spending the day with me, and ended up in more pain than when I came out of hospital!

This week, though, I am pretty much alone and resting more and taking a daily walk and feel a whole lot better now.

It's major surgery you and I have had /will have, and there will be some pain - can't pretend otherwise. Just keep on top of it and rest as much as you can. Rest more than I did!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2011, 06:04 AM

Thanks, ladies I'm still trying to get as much done as I can ahead of time, and I'm not sleeping, so hopefully with everything under control I can rest afterwards.

My mother in law will be here first, then my mom is just coming to check on me, and after that it's just us till my sis gets here in 3 weeks. I do have a friend coming to clean for me, thank goodness.

I think I'm such a control freak that I have a really hard time just letting things go and "being what they will be."

Acey, I'm glad you're starting to feel better! I can't wait to start walking again, how long did it take you to feel like you wanted to get out and about a little bit? Crossfire, thanks so much for the words of encouragement
Unread 09-22-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper430 View Post

Acey, I'm glad you're starting to feel better! I can't wait to start walking again, how long did it take you to feel like you wanted to get out and about a little bit? Crossfire, thanks so much for the words of encouragement
Well, I'm not a very good example because I went about it the wrong way soon after I came home!

I walked in hospital (where I spent 5 days) as soon as I got rid of my catheter and pump - up and down the corridor, which was boring, and I could have gone further.

Once home, I walked to the short end of the street the first 2 days (about 4 lamp posts) and after that to the further end of the street, about 10 mins).
That was fine and what I should have been doing. It was enough, though, without getting light-headed.

Then it went wrong! My relatives came to my city and though they didn't stay with me, they spent the whole day with me, bringing food, doing housework and gardening and taking me out! I sat around much of the time, didn't really walk or lie down. Didn't want to be unsociable.
I really paid for that with worsening pain. That was for 10 days. Bad days - but past now!

It's important to get out for a daily walk (my post-op. booklet said), just what you can manage, a bit further when you can. I can easily walk every day two blocks to the local supermarket now and take home a couple of light items. At first I sat down outside the supermarket before walking back, but not now. I know I could go further now.

But you must rest, in my opinion, as in LYING DOWN, a few times a day to balance out the exercise. I have felt heaps better since I was alone and able to do more lying down!

I'm not driving yet (I have a manual car and the recommendation is about 4 weeks, or when you can make "sudden movements without pain". I reckon next week!)
I am feeling keen to get out more and back behind the wheel!
My post-op. book recommends building up with the walking to "walking at a good pace for 20-30 mins a week, 3-4 times per week by 6-8 weeks post surgery". I reckon that is manageable!
Good luck! It will be worth it even if there is going to be a bit of pain and tiredness and weakness before it gets better!
(Bear in mind I am no youngster - at 62. But I WAS fit and a big walker!
Unread 09-22-2011, 07:45 AM

Thanks, Acey I do plan to take it easy. I was a runner, though haven't run all summer, and I've signed up for a rehab yoga in November, and I'll do some aquafit then too. But for the first week or so I don't plan to do much of anything that I don't feel up to.

I leave in an hour, and it will be good to just move on.

Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register