Driving to Beach 6 hours away 3 weeks post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Driving to Beach 6 hours away 3 weeks post-op Driving to Beach 6 hours away 3 weeks post-op

Unread 09-11-2011, 12:20 PM
Driving to Beach 6 hours away 3 weeks post-op

I had already planned a trip to meet my grandchildren and daughter in Panama city which is 3 weeks after surgery, my son will be at band competition that weekend an hour and half from beach, can I drive down, will I be ok laying around, walking the beach. eating out, I cant let them down, what can I do? can I drive my son back and forth to school which is only 7 min drive one way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Re: Driving to Beach 6 hours away 3 weeks post-op

katytraveler,

We're glad you found us.

It's very difficult to know how you will do after your hyster, everyone is different. A big factor is what type of surgery you will be having. Has your doctor discussed your recovery time with you? Some of us with minimally invasive surgeries may have been able to travel at three weeks. Lots of women would not have been up to such a trip so soon, I would suggest you be prepared for not being up to it just in case.

You will have to be off all narcotic pain meds before driving--even short distances. Finding a friend or family member to help out with your son for a few days is something you need to consider. Some doctors don't give the okay for driving for several weeks. You need to have a talk with your doctor.

Keep us posted.

Unread 09-11-2011, 06:28 PM

I was not allowed to drive for several weeks, and even when I was, I found that at times pressing the brake pedal was very painful in my belly. Also, it took very little for me at 3 weeks post op to become exhausted. I do not suggest driving that far by your self, add to that all of the fresh air. You will be completely exhausted when it comes time to drive home. Maybe you can find a friend to go to the beach with you, let them drive, that way the kids are still happy, you can sleep on the way there/back if you need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Hi just had my surgery Friday had TLH and my doctor said I could start driving tomorrow as long as Im off the pain meds. I to had a trip planned 2 weeks after my surgery and we are going to pc about 4 to 5 hours from me on motorcycles and he said I should be good to go. As of right now I'm doing good sone swelling and discomfort but nothing to bad. What kind of surgery are you having?
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:22 PM

all he said was he ws going to make a small incision below my navel, he would have to send a specimen to test for cancer before he would know what if any additional to take out as far as lymph nodes, anyway he said it was my choice but why keep one when it also may go bad and what do I need the uterus for at my age, i just dont know but i am so swollen I sometimes find it hard to breathe, the surgeon said most women just want it all gone. I hope I made the right decision to remove it all
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmwhatley View Post
Hi just had my surgery Friday had TLH and my doctor said I could start driving tomorrow as long as Im off the pain meds. I to had a trip planned 2 weeks after my surgery and we are going to pc about 4 to 5 hours from me on motorcycles and he said I should be good to go. As of right now I'm doing good sone swelling and discomfort but nothing to bad. What kind of surgery are you having?
Wow , we have a Harley and ride for Bikers Against Child Abuse(BACA) I am glad to know I may not be bedridden too long. What is TLH?
Unread 09-11-2011, 08:24 PM

I am four weeks post op from a full hysterectomy tubes, ovaries and cervix. I saw my surgeon last week and asked if I could travel with my girlfriend 3 hours away and he said only as a passenger not driving myself and only if we stop every hour and I get out and walk around abit as there is still risk for blod clots to the legs. I would check with your doc before undertaking a 6 hour trip.
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:30 AM

Total laproscopic hysterectomy
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:32 AM

What state do you live in if you don't mind me asking your not far from panama city like ne
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:42 AM

Danni said it best. We are all different. I had my surgery September 6th and I am driving today. If it was me, I would have no problem with it, but I do remember prior to the surgery being so worried about everything, not knowing what to expect. Not to sound redundant, but call your Doctor and run it by him/her. My poor doctor fielded a lot of questions for me. poor thing ha ha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register