What before surgery tips can you offer? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What before surgery tips can you offer? What before surgery tips can you offer?

Unread 09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
What before surgery tips can you offer?

To make recovery easier?

I read about freezing 3 weeks worth of meals.

Cleaning house from top to bottom.

What new tips can you share that helped you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Re: What before surgery tips can you offer?

I wish I had ordered the abdominal binder. I have belly fat that I had to support with my hands or a pillow. Also be sure you have plenty to read if that's your favorite past time. A chair turned backwards by the bed will help you get up from the bed in the first week also. Best wishes and Hugs coming your way!
Unread 09-12-2011, 02:20 PM

Thank you! I hadn't thought about the chair turning backwards. That's a genius idea!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2011, 02:25 PM

I don't have an abdominal binder, but I love my pillow pet! It gives support and looks cute. It makes me smile.
Unread 09-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Buy a few comfortable pairs of pj's or really big long tee-shirts so you can be comfortable with out having to put pants on.

Have a few of your fav munchies close at hand so if you have to take meds and don't feel like getting up to make something you will have something close by. Also, look into a water bottle with one of those freezing sticks inside of them so you can have cold water or a cold drink last longer.

Just a few....best of luck to you with your surgery!! Hugs!
Unread 09-12-2011, 02:39 PM

I took the advice of many on this site (thank you all!) and bought Gas X and stool softeners. Most of my discomfort after the surgery was due to gas. I agree with ducky1127, comfortable pj's are a great idea. I lived in pj's for the first week or so.
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:48 PM

I wore big T-Shirt's for week's. When you get dressed people think you feel better! LOL I also didn't want anything around my waist. I slept in the recliner for several week's. I didn't want to lay flat so the recliner was the way to go. Also put a tv diner tray next to the chair for remote, phone, meds, ect...
Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!!!
Unread 09-12-2011, 06:58 PM

Sleeping in a recliner is an excellent idea! I wish I had had one when I had my C-section many moons ago. Getting up and in and out of the bed put a lot of stress on my incision. This is what I plan on doing when I get home after my surgery.
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:01 PM

I don't understand having a pillow for your belly. Maybe it's because I've never had a C-section or major belly cuts.

I was thinking of my sexy underwear. Definitely won't want anything too close to me, so granny panties I guess?

I like the big T-shirt idea. It's probably going to be cooler in late October (Oklahoma) so I've been wondering about fleece tops.

We have a chair I can put in the shower. Was wondering about blow drying my hair, brushing teeth etc. I guess I'll be sitting a lot!
Unread 09-12-2011, 07:14 PM

The pillow allows you to put a little pressure on your belly. Especailly useful if you cough or sneeze. Plus, a little pressure feels good (I know it sounds odd, but that is why many of the women use the belly binder.)

With a DvH granny panties might not be the best. My 5 incisions range from sightly below my belly button to right above it. I have been using regular (not low rise) bikinis and pushing the waistband down below the lowest incision. I tried granny panties and they hit right at my incisions. The same goes for the regular boy shorts I bought for the surgery. I brought all three kinds with me to the hospital.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register