What before surgery tips can you offer? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What before surgery tips can you offer? What before surgery tips can you offer?

Unread 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Re: What before surgery tips can you offer?

Yes! A pillow is very helpful. I never realized how many stomach muscles are used when you cough, laugh, and sneeze! I was planning on wearing my granny panties... guess I'll have to go out and buy a pack of low-rise briefs. Thanks for the tip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2011, 07:13 PM

I wore the panties home from the hospital. My belly doesn't like anything on it. If your hospital has the big water cup with straw in it, take it home with you. It's gets lots of water in you without multiple trips. I had a partial vaginal hysterectomy and bought some tucks pads and some flushable wipes. After I over did it with the stool softeners I was real thankful.
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsdgs View Post
The pillow allows you to put a little pressure on your belly. Especailly useful if you cough or sneeze. Plus, a little pressure feels good (I know it sounds odd, but that is why many of the women use the belly binder.)

With a DvH granny panties might not be the best. My 5 incisions range from sightly below my belly button to right above it. I have been using regular (not low rise) bikinis and pushing the waistband down below the lowest incision. I tried granny panties and they hit right at my incisions. The same goes for the regular boy shorts I bought for the surgery. I brought all three kinds with me to the hospital.
Oh that's true! There will be 5 small incisions. I totally forgot. Is that really better than one 5" incision? I'm beginning to wonder.

So no granny panties but something that lower than a bikini? There goes all my sexy boy short and cheekster panties from VS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpInTheAir View Post
I wore the panties home from the hospital. My belly doesn't like anything on it. If your hospital has the big water cup with straw in it, take it home with you. It's gets lots of water in you without multiple trips. I had a partial vaginal hysterectomy and bought some tucks pads and some flushable wipes. After I over did it with the stool softeners I was real thankful.
I have the slowest, sluggish colon ever! Took 4 stool softeners last night and it did nothing for me. Wondering how that's going to work for surgery.

I can't take Citrucel right now because of GERD problems. The citric acid in it kills me, and most other fibers bother me, so this is going to be quite entertaining
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:56 PM

I agree with the pillow pet! Took mine to the hospital with me and it barely left my side (or stomach) for 2 weeks. Just now I am no longer feeling like I need it.
I loved my belly binder. They gave it to me in the hospital. I took it off during a couple early days when the gas was bad, but, other than that, pretty much wore it non-stop for 2 weeks. Again, just the last couple days have not needed it.
The chair by the bed also helped for the first few days, but after that, I really didn't have much problem getting in and out of bed. Lots and lots of pillows in bed to "arrange" around you for comfort.
I also kept a little basket on my nightstand with meds, lotion, lip stuff (my lips have been SO SO dry since surgery!) a few snacks, etc. My appetite was fierce, even though I only eat small meals, I'm hungry all the time and would often wake up in the night and want something to eat. It's good to not have to stumble to the kitchen in the middle of the night!
Gas X and stool softener's are a must. So was a heating pad for me...helped with the gas.
I had daVinci and my incisions have not bothered me AT ALL nor have I had the "swelly belly". I know everyone is different, but, I've been wearing my regular panties since a couple days post op. I wore the mesh ones home from the hospital and had an extra pair at home to wear, but by the third or fourth day, I was wearing my own. I did get some support panties to wear since I've stopped using the binder. They seem to give similar "support" without the bulk of the binder, but I really don't think I'll need them for very long.
I was able to shower and wash my hair since 2 days post op, shaved my legs around 3 or 4 days without a problem.
Unread 09-12-2011, 10:17 PM

I had a TAH so I can't answer to your specific surgery, but for me, I used and ice pack in the hospital and after I got home for at least a week. Not so much on my incision as on my sore side. It was a relief for my pain.

I also bought phazyme versus gasx as the gasx didn't work for me and the phazyme was/is wonderful.

In addition to a stool softener, I did have a small pack of gentle laxatives on hand, just in case (which I ended up using all of the).

Thank you cards and stamps at home so you have what you need when you are ready.

I opted for short nightgowns and dresses for my post surgery attire for several weeks. Everyone is different and you won't know if you'll experience swelly belly until after.

I wish you an easy and speedy recovery!

Best Wishes!
Unread 09-13-2011, 12:14 AM
What before surgery tips can you offer?

I had a basket next to my bed for my meds and thermometer. Also had a pen and paper to write down time, temp and meds when I took them. I wasn't quite with it the first couple of days and didn't want to loose track of meds and let the pain get ahead of me. Had lots of pillows in bed for for head/body elevations, as well as body pillow which helped keep my arms "confined". Also made sure the fan was on all the time to help "drown out" the household noise that can't be helped. Best Wishes
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatherineK View Post
I had a basket next to my bed for my meds and thermometer. Also had a pen and paper to write down time, temp and meds when I took them. I wasn't quite with it the first couple of days and didn't want to loose track of meds and let the pain get ahead of me. Had lots of pillows in bed for for head/body elevations, as well as body pillow which helped keep my arms "confined". Also made sure the fan was on all the time to help "drown out" the household noise that can't be helped. Best Wishes
Yes, the notebook! I did the same thing! I think it is necessary. Not only did I document what meds I took when, but also any "strange" symptoms I was feeling, when my first BM was, etc. Just in case I needed that kind of info later. It was a great idea! I used it thru yesterday but probably won't anymore now that I've had my 2 week post op and all is going well!
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Excellent idea about the notebook!

I imagine with pain meds the memory wouldn't be accurate.
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:40 AM

Ask for warmed IV fluids!!! With my last surgery I had that in pre-op, which felt wonderful because those rooms are always on the cool side anyway.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register