What before surgery tips can you offer? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What before surgery tips can you offer? What before surgery tips can you offer?

Unread 09-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Re: What before surgery tips can you offer?

Having had a Davinci myomectomy (recovery: 2 days, because I milked it) and a C-section (recovery: 12 weeks before I could move without pain, wound healed, 6 months before I regained control of my stomach muscles) I can attest that the less invasive the better. Obviously there is still internal healing (after all, organs are being removed!) but with the less invasive procedures, there's less manipulation of the muscles, ligaments and organs by the surgeon. Those tiny incisions were about as painful as a bruise.

[quote=gingerisnot;3574247]
  Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariposita View Post
Oh that's true! There will be 5 small incisions. I totally forgot. Is that really better than one 5" incision? I'm beginning to wonder.

think about it this way. The small inscisions will not cut as much muscle as the long incision. It's far less invasive to get the small incisions.

BTW... I did LSH and I only have 3 and you can hardly see them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2011, 10:50 AM

These are all great tips and very reassuring to know that there is going to be less pain with the DV surgery.

But my doctor did say that there is always the possibility that after he makes the 5 small cuts, if he finds something that doesn't seem right, cancer or whatever, he might have to go the traditional route which scares the heck out of me. I can't imagine having a large cut, plus 5 smaller ones?

Going to see him on the 20th for a consult with my long list of questions. I've already had a CT scan that showed fibroids, plus a vaginal ultrasound. Are these enough to give him an idea of what he might encounter?

In other words, what else can he do to have a comfortable idea of what he might see in there, and therefore, avoid having to cut me into bits and pieces!!!
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:57 AM

*Excercise as much as you can before it will help in recovery... all of the other suggestions are great... also get lots of sleep.
*After surgery alot of us had many sleepless and restless nights and the nightmares post op are normal.
*Also put things within reach so you won't have to stretch too much ( I had placed bottled water and other items on my nightstand because I live in a townhouse and up/down stairs are a no no for a couple of weeks)
*Make sure you have lots of sleep shirts and comfy loose clothing to wear for afterwards. I'm generally a size 0-2 and going into week #3 still have to wear the loose clothing mainly little dresses and comfy sweats that aren't constricting.
*Sanitary Pads atleast a few weeks worth... some of us bleed others don't so be prepared.

Hope this helped! Best of Luck. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2011, 11:02 AM

I had it done... luckily there was no further damage found and she only removed my uterus leaving my ovaries and cervix in tact. They always will tell you if they find further damage they may go the regular route so don't be alarmed. It scared me too. Actually the weirdest thing was the stress caused my period to come down mins before the operation... anything that will go wrong usually does sometimes as long as its not the surgery. Everything went super for me and I wish you the same.
Its going to take almost the same amount of time to heal from what I'm experiencing with the 5 incisions although the accuracy is like no other! I'm 3 weeks post op tomorrow... this week I'm starting to feel alot better than the past 2. Best of luck to you!!
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:16 AM

1. Acidopholus!!! You will most likely be bombarded with IV antibiotics and they kill your gut=constipation!
2. Stock up on Jell, puddings, yogurt etc.
3. YES plan to have house clean and all laundry done prior to surgery.
4. Do you have a few folks to support and take care of you for the first 2 weeks?
5. Post a NO DRAMA patient recovering sign! You need a peaceful place to heal.
6. Plan on very low energy for the next month...stamina is the last to return.
Unread 09-17-2011, 10:13 PM

I highly suggest the belly binder they sell on this site that has the little ice packs in it...it is still something I use everyday and I am 18 post op. Also...bikini underwear are best for me...I had the Da Vinci with vaginal hysterectomy and I wouldn't be comfortable with granny panties all around my tummy and rubbing the incisions. Make sure if you have kids, that you explain, that although you may look okay when you come home, that inside you are healing and you need their help. Lastly, the nurse told me to take my stool softners everytime I take the pain medicine and drink plenty of water.
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithHolder View Post
I highly suggest the belly binder they sell on this site that has the little ice packs in it...it is still something I use everyday and I am 18 post op. Also...bikini underwear are best for me...I had the Da Vinci with vaginal hysterectomy and I wouldn't be comfortable with granny panties all around my tummy and rubbing the incisions. Make sure if you have kids, that you explain, that although you may look okay when you come home, that inside you are healing and you need their help. Lastly, the nurse told me to take my stool softners everytime I take the pain medicine and drink plenty of water.
Hi Faith. I thought big, baggy granny panties would have been more comfortable (I was going to buy some), but since you and someone else mentioned the bikini panties that would be great since I have those already. Good idea about the stool softeners. I didn't realise the belly binder had ice packs in it! Wow! I'll have to check that out.

I thought with the Da Vinci they didn't have to cut the vagina??? Or is it mainly to "pass" the uterus and ovaries etc. out???
Unread 09-18-2011, 01:17 AM

Make sure that you get a few pairs of at least 1 size larger underware as there is swelling and you want comfy not sexy at that time. Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariposita View Post
I don't understand having a pillow for your belly. Maybe it's because I've never had a C-section or major belly cuts.

I was thinking of my sexy underwear. Definitely won't want anything too close to me, so granny panties I guess?

I like the big T-shirt idea. It's probably going to be cooler in late October (Oklahoma) so I've been wondering about fleece tops.

We have a chair I can put in the shower. Was wondering about blow drying my hair, brushing teeth etc. I guess I'll be sitting a lot!
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:54 AM

Some really brilliant advice here that I wish I had known before my SAH. In particular the lower cut panties... I went for the Grannies and they have been a nuisance.

The chair by the bed sounds great and I wish I had practised getting in and out of bed the recommended way beforehand. I didn't because I had been having some physio on my arm, shoulder and neck and didn't want to make it worse but of course I had to use it after surgery. I would like to thank my wonderful body for allowing pain free use of these areas whilst I needed it most!

I kept a smallish cosmetic bag near me with lip balm, facial wipes, tissues and mints to suck. Also an alice band to keep the hair away from my face. A small pot of moisturiser and tube of hand cream too. The most useful thing I used was my mirror. It really helped me to see what my tummy looked like when I wasn't in a position to see for myself.

Hope it all goes well for you
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:56 AM

The one thing that I have used and never thought about needing was a blow up ring to sit on. I had a Vag Hyst so sitting was uncomfortable. My husband grabbed 1 of my granddaughters swim rings for me to sit on. It was my best friend for the first 4 days after surgery. Gas x and stool softners were my next best friends.
What ever makes you comfortable now keep available but remember it may not make you comfortable after. Try new things and any new ideas. Good luck and be a good

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register