Anyone used antidepressants for hot flashes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone used antidepressants for hot flashes? Anyone used antidepressants for hot flashes?

Unread 09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Anyone used antidepressants for hot flashes?

Hi,

Has anyone tried low-dose antidepressants to help with hot flashes? The internet talks about a couple of them (Lexapro and Effexor).

My doctor mentioned them last year and now that I have to have a hysterectomy for a pre-cancer condition caused by estrogen dominance - I'm wishing I had considered it more seriously... but I digress...

Now I am afraid of the estrogen. I want to keep my breasts safe from the estrogen dominance issue. I'm still having the hot flashes and will be shocked if they are gone after my surgery in a couple weeks. So... my research continues.

Any of the herbal remedies for hot flashes have been unsuccessful in the past (which is why I used Estradiol) with progesterone. The herbal combinations that are recommended for hot flashes typically are plant-estrogens and are still estrogen.

I plan to continue progesterone after the hysterectomy as there are receptors all over the body (not just the uterus) and there are many benefits with progesterone.

I'm wondering if there are any success stories or thoughts about the use of anti-depressants for hot flashes?

Thanks,
goldenlife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Re: Anyone used antidepressants for hot flashes?

My Chiropractor has me using vitamin E, 200 mg. start with one a day and if that doesn't work, increase by 200 mg each week until they are gone. Im only at 400 mg and my sweats are pretty much nill. Be sure to get the vit E at the health store as it cannot have the letter L in the ingedients. I think it's the first ingredient listed has letters with it. I don't have it with me to explain which one it is, sorry. good luck. And yes I used effexor for awhile, more for my depression as it didn't do anything for menopause for me.
Unread 09-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I have been taking Vitamin E (d-alpha) 400 iu daily for a while as part of my daily supplements.

I haven't really noticed any change in the hot flashes.

What do you mean by not having an "L" in the ingredients? Do you mean the dl - alpha (which is synthetic)?

Maybe I can try it at a higher dose?

Thanks, I will research.

goldenlife
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2011, 03:39 PM

that may be it. I will look when I get home. And you could add more up to 2400mg. if need be. He told me that the L part is nothing more than taking axle grease, same difference and same anount of good it does.
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:37 PM

I use a natural progesterone cream before & after surgery & also take about 1000mg of evening primrose oil everyday. I still have occasional hot flashes/night sweats/insomnia, but they definitely help...
Unread 09-13-2011, 06:27 AM

Hi ilovexmas,

Thanks for the tip about evening primrose oil. I have some of it and will also give it a try.

I know the hot flashes will be easier to endure as the weather cools down and the seasons change.

It seems like I have tried everything. I've been having hot flashes for 12 years. At the beginning, I tried all the different herbal recommendations with no success.

That was ultimately why I went on the HRT. I chose the bio-identical because I felt that it was "safe". But in the end, I am a person that leans towards the inability to efficiently process the estrogens (enviornmental as well as RX) and I just wasn't on a high enough dose of progesterone to keep the estrogens from being unopposed. My hysterectomy is in 2 weeks.

So, now I must make new choices and chart a new life plan with the increased knowledge of how my body works. That plan includes higher doses of progesterone (I've read that progesterone can help with a lot of menopause symptoms) and limiting my exposure to all types of estrogens.

Life is a journey. Again, thanks for the tip.

Sincerely,
goldenlife
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:04 AM

I have been taking Vitamin E (d-alpha) 400 iu daily for a while as part of my daily supplements.

goldenlife, you're on the right vit E, increase it more and see if that helps. I checked my bottle and you're right it's the d-alpha. DL is the one not to take.

Hope your surgery goes well...rooster

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register