SAH vs. TVH ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

SAH vs. TVH ?? SAH vs. TVH ??

Unread 09-12-2011, 05:30 PM
SAH vs. TVH ??

Hi all,

I was sheduled for a TVH but after joining this site and doing some research I'm wondering if I should keep my cervix.
I am very concerned about the sexual side effects of this surgery. I am 36 years old and still really enjoy my sexlife. I do have a posible cystocele and might need a sling as well as A & P repairs (I have 5 children).

Not sure what my best choice is. Going to meet with my surgeon again before my surgery that is sheduled in a couple of weeks. Silly me, I didnt think to ask all these questions at my last appt. Guess I got nervous as the day approaches and decided to look for a little advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2011, 02:08 AM
Re: SAH vs. TVH ??

This one is up to you. I in no way wanted mini periods from leaving my cervix in. I also didn't want the chance of cervical cancer later. I also don't believe the cervix has any effect on sex. The removal of it just means you have to wait slightly longer to start having it again. Sex still isn't pain free for me (the first 5-10 minutes can be kind of uncomfortable) but sex is still better than pre surgery for me. :P Some women do have issues. It's tough to say. I still prefer the pros and cons of removal than the pros and cons of keeping it.
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:22 AM

I've been wondering about keeping my cervix also. Will talk to my doctor again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2011, 03:23 PM

I had a prolapse so I had no choice but get rid of my cervix. No period at all sounds fantastic to me. I am 7 weeks out, TVH, got all cleared today, tonight's the night. (I am a very sexual woman) I'll let you know how it goes!

Unread 09-13-2011, 03:57 PM

Thanks you guys!! I look forward to hearing updates
Unread 09-13-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by policebound View Post
I had a prolapse so I had no choice but get rid of my cervix. No period at all sounds fantastic to me. I am 7 weeks out, TVH, got all cleared today, tonight's the night. (I am a very sexual woman) I'll let you know how it goes!

OMG, the thought of sex makes me queasy. So much pain! Good luck. I can't imagine ever having sex again

So once it's a prolapse, the cervix goes? I had wondered about that. Mine is like a miniature penis between my legs
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:00 PM

I have a couple of girlfriends who had their cervix removed along with the uterus. They both say that sex is FABULOUS!! one of them said, there's nothing getting in the way of "taking it all in" so to speak. LOL!!
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:04 PM

I had my cervix removed and have not had any issues with sex...I will say it was a slow start once we were cleared, but after taking it slow for a while, it is better than it has ever been. Hope that helps.
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:40 PM

I was origionally planned to have Total Abdominal Hystetectomy but then I did loads of research about the cervix. A lot of women do say their orgasm was very different without their cervix and for many they say no change. I read up on all the problems that can happen on here with the vaginal cuff and that really worried me. So I went back and spoke to my surgeon armed with all my research. She said as I had never had an abnormal smear test she could leave it in. After surgery she told me she removed three parts of my cervix and left the part that is inside the vagina. She said she removec the front part inside the abdomen which is were cervical cancer usual occurs. I will still have regular smears as percausion though. Doc said I should not get any mini periods as she cleaned the remaining bit of cervix well and cautrised. I was just relived not to go through the vaginal cuff healing. I had lots of other stuff done inside that it was one less thing to worry about. Every woman is different, so you have to go with what feels right for you.
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:52 PM

Before I joined this site I had never heard of a vaginal cuff! Is it done on most women?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register