Scheduled LSH LSH scheduled for Monday - now wondering about TLH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH scheduled for Monday - now wondering about TLH? LSH scheduled for Monday - now wondering about TLH?

Unread 09-13-2011, 03:38 PM
LSH scheduled for Monday - now wondering about TLH?

I'm scheduled for a BSO/LSH on Monday. Tomorrow is my pre-op. I've been doing some research on this wonderful site (thank you to all the brave ladies who have gone through this before me!)

I am having my surgery due mainly from issues arising from my Breast Cancer oral chemotherapy drug (Tamoxifen). While rare, Tamoxifen can cause uterine cancer. Since starting the drug 3.5 years ago I've had test after test return abnormal. My breast cancer was also Estrogen positive (estrogen feeds the cancer) so the removal of the ovaries is also in response to the breast cancer.

Here is my question: My gynecologist recommended the BSO/LSH, having me keep my cervix because that was still healthy and there is no research that supports Tamoxifen use and cervical cancer. However, if the cervix is actually the lower part of the uterus, wouldn't there still be uterine tissue there? I will ask my surgeon tomorrow, but wondering what other ladies felt the pros/cons were for leaving or keeping the cervix.

Thank you!
Madison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Re: LSH scheduled for Monday - now wondering about TLH?

I just had the cervix/ vaginal cuff convo with my gynecologist and I think the answer is yes, there is still tissue there so there might be a very slight risk.
I asked her honest opinion about leaving it intact and she said it's basically there to keep things up, but she'll be doing a pelvic floor reconstruct as well. Keeping the cervix, she says, does not add any lubrication but would cause continued discharge, and might cause mini periods. However, for some women, the cervix is necessary for orgasm, so some elect to retain a portion.
I think you have to weigh your decision based on your own history, the risk factors, and what benefits would you see from keeping it vs losing it?
I made the choice to lose it, since I see only gain. No more abnormal Paps, no more worries about bleeding, and no more discharge. Definitely have the discussion with your doc; I was surprised and pleased at how easy it was to discuss without embarrassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison27 View Post
I'm scheduled for a BSO/LSH on Monday. Tomorrow is my pre-op. I've been doing some research on this wonderful site (thank you to all the brave ladies who have gone through this before me!)

I am having my surgery due mainly from issues arising from my Breast Cancer oral chemotherapy drug (Tamoxifen). While rare, Tamoxifen can cause uterine cancer. Since starting the drug 3.5 years ago I've had test after test return abnormal. My breast cancer was also Estrogen positive (estrogen feeds the cancer) so the removal of the ovaries is also in response to the breast cancer.

Here is my question: My gynecologist recommended the BSO/LSH, having me keep my cervix because that was still healthy and there is no research that supports Tamoxifen use and cervical cancer. However, if the cervix is actually the lower part of the uterus, wouldn't there still be uterine tissue there? I will ask my surgeon tomorrow, but wondering what other ladies felt the pros/cons were for leaving or keeping the cervix.

Thank you!
Madison
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Thanks MrsAllnut. I feel really comfortable with my gyn, so I will bring up these issues with her tomorrow. I'm not sure really where I orgasm. I think it depends on my orgasm. I wonder what the risk of pelvic floor issues is without a cervix. So many decisions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2011, 05:15 AM

I kept my cervix because I'm certain that it plays an important role in my orgasm, and I usually encourage others on this site to do the same, based on my own experience. However, if I were in your situation, I'd have it removed. Their are other sources of orgasm (clitoris and g-spot) that can be trained to provide all the pleasure you need, and with your cancer history, I think you'd just feel better mentally if you had it out. Of course, I'm no doctor, but if you were my sister/mother/friend, that's how I'd advise you.
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:33 AM

Thank you NowItsTooLate. I appreciate your advice. I've got my pre-op scheduled in an hour from now, so I will talk with surgeon and report back. I'm having this surgery because of the cancer implications, and it seems to only make sense to take it all. We'll see.

Best, Madison
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:29 AM

Thinking of you and hoping it wasn't too overwhelming! :-)
  Quote:
Thank you NowItsTooLate. I appreciate your advice. I've got my pre-op scheduled in an hour from now, so I will talk with surgeon and report back. I'm having this surgery because of the cancer implications, and it seems to only make sense to take it all. We'll see.

Best, Madison
Unread 09-15-2011, 04:22 AM

Had a great talk with my surgeon and outlined my two major questions. If my uterus shows cancer in pathology will cutting my uterus and removing it laparoscopically potentially seed cancer in my abdomen? And if uterine cancer is my main concern, why would it be advantageous to leave the cervix?

She agreed that in my case it would be best to remove the cervix, thus taking all the uterine tissue. This would reduce my risk of uterine cancer greatly. Second, because we will be taking the cervix, she will now do a Lap assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy and pull the uterus will be removed in one piece and sent to pathology.

THANK YOU for your advice and suggestions. I wouldn't have thought to ask some of these questions without the fab women on this site.

Allnut-Good luck on Tuesday. I'll be thinking of you. (drugged up, but thinking of you).
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:34 AM

Madison,

I am really glad that you were able to get your questions answered and make an informed decision about your surgery. Thanks to this site, I also had many questions that I hadn't even thought of, that I felt so relieved to have answered before my surgery.

I also had a LAVH/BSO. I was originally scheduled for a LSH/BSO. I had concerns due to a previous scare where I had to have laser surgery on my uterus and cervix. It had completely slipped my mind, but due to ladies on this site, I was able to talk with my doctor about this and we decided to remove my cervix as well. I feel so good about my decision.

I am 3 days post op now. Besides being sore, I am feeling great. I had endometriosis and was in constant pain. But being able to openly discuss my fears and concerns with my doctor has made all the difference in the world.

I will keep you in my prayers. I hope your surgery goes as smoothly and painless as possible.

God bless.
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:35 AM

Madison,

I too am having surgery on Monday the 19th...today is my pre-op....I am electing to keep my cervix for sexual reasons as well...I am happy to know you have confirmation with your surgeon on what exactly will take place with you! I am praying with you and for you!
Unread 09-15-2011, 08:08 AM

I'm glad you were able to have a good conversation with your doc; that makes a big difference, doesn't it? I'll be thinking of you, too! Take care.

Quote:
Had a great talk with my surgeon and outlined my two major questions. If my uterus shows cancer in pathology will cutting my uterus and removing it laparoscopically potentially seed cancer in my abdomen? And if uterine cancer is my main concern, why would it be advantageous to leave the cervix?

She agreed that in my case it would be best to remove the cervix, thus taking all the uterine tissue. This would reduce my risk of uterine cancer greatly. Second, because we will be taking the cervix, she will now do a Lap assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy and pull the uterus will be removed in one piece and sent to pathology.

THANK YOU for your advice and suggestions. I wouldn't have thought to ask some of these questions without the fab women on this site.

Allnut-Good luck on Tuesday. I'll be thinking of you. (drugged up, but thinking of you).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register