Please answer few queastions Re: hysto/act | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please answer few queastions Re: hysto/act Please answer few queastions Re: hysto/act

Unread 09-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Please answer few queastions Re: hysto/act

I am trying to find out info before having my hysterectomy.
I am most likely having a lap hysto. But it will be in October.

I just want estimates from your personal experience if possible please and thank you.

How soon would I be able to drive to just pick up my son from school?

How about how soon maybe to go on a car ride and have a dinner at another family members house?

How soon would be till can do daily activities such as around the house?

How soon would i be able to care for my four year old whom is home with me every day? Should I send him with a family for a day or two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2011, 11:27 PM
Re: Please answer few queastions Re: hysto/act

You will probably have post-op restrictions for driving, lifting, and housework. I had a TVH and I wasn't allowed to drive for 2 weeks, however, taking a very, very short drive at that time made me sore and so I waited another week. Who knew the workout the abs get when you drive.

My DH took me for a short drive about a week out and I did fine. We didn't go to dinner though. I wasn't allowed to do any housework such as vacuuming, sweeping, picking up (no bending), or that sort of thing until my doctor released me at 6 weeks. I was able to help with dinner, etc after a couple of weeks.

Be sure to ask your doctor for some estimates regarding your own post-op care. H/she should be able to give you a general idea of what to expect.

Best wishes!

Deb
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:19 AM

I had minimally invasive surgery. The only restriction I was given was to wait to have sex. Otherwise, I was told that if I felt okay and it caused no pain then I could do what I wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Obviously it depends on the kind of surgery you are having, but here is my personal experience. I had my LSH one week ago.

How soon would I be able to drive to just pick up my son from school?
I had my Surgery on Tuesday and was allowed to drive on Sunday (5 days)

How about how soon maybe to go on a car ride and have a dinner at another family members house?
I would say a couple days, my husband I and went to lunch the Saturday after my surgery (4 days)

How soon would be till can do daily activities such as around the house?

Depends on the activities. No pushing or pulling or lifting anything over 10 pounds. I would stay away from sweeping and doing any hands and knees floor washing.
cooking hasn't been an issue. I would say I started doing more regular activities on Day 3.
Today...one week and one day later I am not on pain meds of any kind. My steri strips came off in the shower, Movement is much easier, but I am being mindful and as much as I want to run around the block, I am following the Doctors orders.

How soon would i be able to care for my four year old whom is home with me every day? Should I send him with a family for a day or two?

That is a tough question for me to answer, since we do not have children. The only thing you would not be able to do is lift your child, but I believe you should be fine with caring for him/her. You might want a friend or family member to hang out with you to help out, but I don't think you would need to send your 4 year old away (unless it will give you a stress break)

This is my personal experience. I am thankful things are going so well, and wish you the same success in your surgery
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:32 AM

The truth is no one really knows how soon for anything as we all heal differently. Even if you are having the less invasive surgery. There are time lines your doctor can lay out for you but it all boils down to how you feel and how you are healing. Some of us jump out of the bed the next day and are feeling quite well others (like myself) slept the entire first week home. So really it is a wait and see how it goes. As for lifting your 4 year old I think that will be 6 to 8 weeks or longer no matter what type of surgery you still need to heal inside and that is the same for all of us. Well take care.
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:26 AM

I had a TVH in April and was told no driving for 3 weeks. No housework for 6 - 8 weeks and no sex for 6 - 8 weeks. No stairs for 2 weeks either. No heavy lifting for 8 weeks. No lifting of kids for at least 3 months. If you can have family come in to help you with your toddler, that would be great. Going shopping 3 weeks after surgery was ok. In fact, my Dr said holding onto a shopping cart helps with abdominal muscles. Unfortunately I only had one ovary removed and I am going back to schedule an appt to have a complete hyeterectomy done. I think he should have done it the first time but that's me.
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:30 AM

I guess every doctor is a bit different when it comes to stairs, I had a vaginal and my doctor said stairs are fine as long as you go very slowly up and down. The rest sounds about the same as I was told. Wow Froggymmy why are you going back for another surgery, are you having complications due to having only one ovary removed? Why do you need to have another surgery? Just curious
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Thank you all for the answers so far, I know every one is different but I am just trying to get an idea or ideas of what is or may be ahead.
I am really worried of taking care of my 4 year old during this.
I did talk to my gyn today and she did say we are gonna be doing this October or November.
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:34 PM

I have a six yr old that goes to school each day and my four yr old stays home with me. Honestly, I'm moody and tired. My husband took leave to stay home and help out for a few weeks. I'd be crying if he hadn't. My four year old is rather independent and does her own thing but seems to know just the wrong time to big me. I'm thankful my husband is home with us. Not sure if this helps but if your four year old is needy or what not you may need help. Do you have a friend or family that might be able to stay for a few days and help?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register