State of the Uterus Address | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

State of the Uterus Address State of the Uterus Address

Unread 09-13-2011, 05:18 PM
State of the Uterus Address

2008 I was dx with fibroids. No symptoms...no problems!

fast forward 3 years.

early August I became aware that a partial hysterectomy may be the only recourse to treat the fibroids I have. Words fail me in explaining how I felt.

first denial, I was going to fight this. I told the doctor that, I wanted to try natural approaches. change my diet, using more herbs, etc; then come back to see her in 6 months and see if things changed. As she examined me and reviewed my blood work, her response was, "Barren, you don't have that kind of time". Then I asked about UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization), her response, "get as many opinions as you wanted BUT, you have to do something".

I scheduled an appt with an IR (intravenous radiologist), the consultation went well. I left feeling confident. I rather this than a hysterectomy (something I deemed barbaric). She scheduled me for an MRI a few days later.

the MRI results, proved I wasn't an ideal candidate for UFE, well...I am but due to a few very large fibroids; in addition to an innumerable smaller amount, the success of this procedure would only be 30%...if that.

The news came as a disappointment. I was certain the UFE would be the idea treatment.

acceptance, I have.

I cried with my mother, it truly a blessing to have her around. She will take care of me during the time. She knows because she's gone through it. In her words, "barren, you'll be fine. Look at me, I'm still around" LOL

I'm scheduled for surgery on 10/7 at 9am. This site is a blessing! I'm here partially everyday, absorbing information on everything from what to pack to stool softeners, LOL

Sunday, I got my "last" period...Yesterday, I shopped for "lounge wear", got a lot of nice things. Today, I donated my own blood, in case I need it during surgery. Thursday, I have my final appointment with my surgeon before the big day.

I'm ready
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Re: State of the Uterus Address

Hi my name is Anita. I know how you feel. It was a hard decision for me to make also. My fibroids made me look 7 months pregnant. I was having very heavy monthly periods with lots thick blood clot (sorry for beng gross). I had a d & c in November of 2010 hoping it would minimize my bleeding. Two months later the bleeding was worse than ever. In march I **** near passed out at work I bled so much it came through my clothes. Also I was severly anemic. Thank goodness I had on black pants. I had to be sent home by our car service. That next month I talked to my gyn and told him I want a hysterectomy.

Well I had my surgery on 07/11/11. My doctor showed me the picture of my uterus and I had 4 large fibroids and one was starting to grow in my cervix. My doctor said my uterus looked like a turkey. I haven't seen my period since june and I don't mess it . I kept my ovaries and my cervix. I'm 9 weeks post op and I feel good.

You will be fine. You have your sister here for you. Good luck and wish you a speedy recovery.
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:57 PM

Thanks Anita,

The whole thing is surreal. yearly, I see my primary care doctor, for a physical then I see my gyn. My PCP, first dx my anemia I thought my fatigue was from being bored and restless, overtime my cycle became irregular (every 19-21 days) and the bleeding heavier. However, as long as I can remember I've always had cramps.

In my honest opinion, I didn't think my symptoms were major. But these suckers inside me are growing as if I were pregnant! The pressure on my bladder is something terrible. I haven't under gone any other procedures (i.e. ablation, biopsies, etc) because BOOM, out of no where my uterus started falling apart, LOL.

What I really starting to question is why physician tell you, "if the fibroids aren't bother you, don't worry". I may have taken that too literal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2011, 09:12 PM

I'm in the same boat! My fibroids were nothing to be concerned about up through last year. This year they're taking over my whole abdomen! What exactly did the doc say about UFE? I'm still debating somewhat about going for a UFE consult. My uterus measures 18 cm and my biggest fibroid is 9.
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Barren -

It is unnerving when it comes out of the blue like that - when you are not expecting to have a hysterectomy. I also cried when I was told I needed one. But it sounds as if you have made preparations, and have a wonderful mom to support you. It will be a real blessing to have her there - especially since she went through it as well.

This site is a blessing. You should also consider joining your surgery week recovery group. The women in this group will be in the same stage of recovery as you. You should be able to find the thread under My Controls when you get back from the hospital and you will also see the thread in the new posts section.

Good luck.

Unread 09-13-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanM View Post
I'm in the same boat! My fibroids were nothing to be concerned about up through last year. This year they're taking over my whole abdomen! What exactly did the doc say about UFE? I'm still debating somewhat about going for a UFE consult. My uterus measures 18 cm and my biggest fibroid is 9.
Meghan,

In my experience the UFE consult was no different that my visit to the gyn. Initially, I was told I was a good candidate, because I had all the symptoms. However, once the MRI results came back, it was a different ballgame.

my findings were: multiple intramural and subserosal uterine fibroids, the largest measures 8cm in the ventral wall. There is also a 7 cm exophytic subserosal fibroid on the right side fundus of the uterus (top). Innumerable 2-4 cm sized fibroids throughout the uterus.

all in all, I'm glad I went. as the dr told me, I could still go through with the UFE but the end result wouldn't make much of a difference.
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:25 PM

I was the same way. My gyn first discovered i had small fibroids in 2005 and they were not causing any problems. Five years after that i guess the closer i got to menopause the worse my cycle was becoming. it was to the point where i was planning vacations and sex around my cycle. Oh and lets not forget running to the bathroom all day and night too. Its amazing how fibroids can disrupt our lives so much. I can tell you this it feels good to wear pretty panties and lite colored pants again. I can even fit my jeans from last summer and i am buying smaller tops now.

I thought I would feel empty and less of a woman, but i don't. I feel like i have a new lease on life. Also being on this site helped so me so much. I can go out and not have to take a napkin with me just in case my period showed up unannounced. It feels good to walk and not be out of breath.
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giginutmeg View Post
It feels good to walk and not be out of breath.
That would feel great! I'm so glad you mentioned that. I feel a little crazy sometimes. Like being out of breath is all in my head. Of course I had that before I knew how big the fibroids are, so it couldn't have been ALL in my head. Did that part go away right away?
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barren View Post
Meghan,

In my experience the UFE consult was no different that my visit to the gyn. Initially, I was told I was a good candidate, because I had all the symptoms. However, once the MRI results came back, it was a different ballgame.

my findings were: multiple intramural and subserosal uterine fibroids, the largest measures 8cm in the ventral wall. There is also a 7 cm exophytic subserosal fibroid on the right side fundus of the uterus (top). Innumerable 2-4 cm sized fibroids throughout the uterus.

all in all, I'm glad I went. as the dr told me, I could still go through with the UFE but the end result wouldn't make much of a difference.
I suspect I'll hear the same thing, but it can't hurt to get the consult. Other than missing yet another half day of work of course.
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanM View Post
That would feel great! I'm so glad you mentioned that. I feel a little crazy sometimes. Like being out of breath is all in my head. Of course I had that before I knew how big the fibroids are, so it couldn't have been ALL in my head. Did that part go away right away?

By the time I was at the 3 week post op i noticed that while walking I was not getting tired quickly. I was picking up my walking speed. Walking up stairs is not bad now. My energy level is a lot better now. Don't get me wrong, but there are days that i still have to take it easy. My incision is vertical because the fibroid was too large and it is healing good. I just went back to work three weeks ago.

before i the surgery i was dragging myself to work now i am out the house by 7:15.

Good luck with your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register