State of the Uterus Address - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

State of the Uterus Address State of the Uterus Address

Unread 09-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Re: State of the Uterus Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by giginutmeg View Post
By the time I was at the 3 week post op i noticed that while walking I was not getting tired quickly. I was picking up my walking speed. Walking up stairs is not bad now. My energy level is a lot better now. Don't get me wrong, but there are days that i still have to take it easy. My incision is vertical because the fibroid was too large and it is healing good. I just went back to work three weeks ago.

before i the surgery i was dragging myself to work now i am out the house by 7:15.

Good luck with your surgery.
Thanks. I need the vertical incision too. I'm not thrilled about that - not because of scarring, but beause I've heard the recovery is worse. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a 2 year old to take care of. That's what worries me most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeghanM View Post
Thanks. I need the vertical incision too. I'm not thrilled about that - not because of scarring, but beause I've heard the recovery is worse. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a 2 year old to take care of. That's what worries me most.
The only problem i had with the vertical incision was laying on my back in bed. I am not use to sleeping on my back. Woow a 2 year old you will have to make sure your baby don't jump into your lap or lean on you. I hope you have some one there to take care of you during your recovery.
Unread 09-14-2011, 07:28 AM

Hi, I am just curious barren , are you having any problems or symptoms, pain, excessive bleeding or do you just have a fibroid that your doctor feels needs to be removed? If it is not affecting your life or endangering your health do not have it done. So many doctors immediately say hysterectomy. I saw on the show the doctors that unless there is an underlying condition that needs to be treated a hysterectomy is not the only way to treat fibroids. It is Major Surgery so just make sure this is absolutely your only option. Take care and I wish you all the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie123 View Post
Hi, I am just curious barren , are you having any problems or symptoms, pain, excessive bleeding or do you just have a fibroid that your doctor feels needs to be removed? If it is not affecting your life or endangering your health do not have it done. So many doctors immediately say hysterectomy. I saw on the show the doctors that unless there is an underlying condition that needs to be treated a hysterectomy is not the only way to treat fibroids. It is Major Surgery so just make sure this is absolutely your only option. Take care and I wish you all the best.
hmmm, good question. considering what I've read here, my symptoms aren't as bad. To put that differently, it's management. However, my concern is that they will become worse.

Additionially, I'm 38. I have some time before menopause hits and these babies won't stop growing. Rather than continuing to take the "watch and wait" approach I'm comfortable with the my decision. Believe me, it wasn't an easy...

because in the end, they'll get worse before getting better. I'm also done mutiplying.
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
By the time I was at the 3 week post op i noticed that while walking I was not getting tired quickly. I was picking up my walking speed. Walking up stairs is not bad now. My energy level is a lot better now. Don't get me wrong, but there are days that i still have to take it easy. My incision is vertical because the fibroid was too large and it is healing good. I just went back to work three weeks ago.

before i the surgery i was dragging myself to work now i am out the house by 7:15.

Good luck with your surgery.
Giginutmeg,

when and how was the decision made to do the incision vertically?

during the discussion with my dr on what type of hysterectomy to have, she stated it had to be abdominal due to the size of my fibroids. I never asked, nor did she indicate, if the incision would be horitizontal or vertical.

I see her tomorrow and will ask.

But what's the difference between the two?
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:05 PM

It was ny doctors decision to do the vertical incision because my uterus was too big. I had a fibroid on each side of my uterus and some growing in my uterus and one in my cervix . I was originally supposed to have the bikini cut incision. My uterus looked like a turkey.
Unread 09-14-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
It was ny doctors decision to do the vertical incision because my uterus was too big. I had a fibroid on each side of my uterus and some growing in my uterus and one in my cervix . I was originally supposed to have the bikini cut incision. My uterus looked like a turkey.
gininutmeg,

I mean like, did you doctor decide that once they opened you up, or beforehand; for instance, while viewing your MRI, CT or ultrasound?

my reason for asking is twofolds...

it will help me during the discussion with my doctor tomorrow

and deciding if (God forbid it should happen) abdominalities are found, to give her permission to remove them.
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:12 PM
State of the Uterus Address

QUOTE=barren;3574697]gininutmeg,

I mean like, did you doctor decide that once they opened you up, or beforehand; for instance, while viewing your MRI, CT or ultrasound?

my reason for asking is twofolds...

it will help me during the discussion with my doctor tomorrow

and deciding if (God forbid it should happen) abdominalities are found, to give her permission to remove them.[/quote]

She knew before surgery because of the positions the fibroids were. Also she did an internal sonogram. She told if she had did the horizontal incision she would havve had to do the verrtical incision as well. That would have been a long recovery peiod.
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I was the same way. My gyn first discovered i had small fibroids in 2005 and they were not causing any problems. Five years after that i guess the closer i got to menopause the worse my cycle was becoming. it was to the point where i was planning vacations and sex around my cycle. Oh and lets not forget running to the bathroom all day and night too. Its amazing how fibroids can disrupt our lives so much. I can tell you this it feels good to wear pretty panties and lite colored pants again. I can even fit my jeans from last summer and i am buying smaller tops now.

I thought I would feel empty and less of a woman, but i don't. I feel like i have a new lease on life. Also being on this site helped so me so much. I can go out and not have to take a napkin with me just in case my period showed up unannounced. It feels good to walk and not be out of breath.
This exactly!

I would make an IR appointment. I went for a consult, but found out it wasn't a good option for me. On top of which, I'm young enough that I would probably need to have multiple treatments. I'm still glad I looked into my options.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register