Scared, worried and unsure of what to expect | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared, worried and unsure of what to expect Scared, worried and unsure of what to expect

Unread 09-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Scared, worried and unsure of what to expect

I have been lurking since I found out I was going to have a hysterectomy in August. I finally have some free time to get on the computer and say HELLO to all of you My surgery is set for October 14 (hopefully my insurance approves it). Here is a little background on me. I am 25, have 2 wonderful children and a full time student (almost finished). When I was pregnant with my son who is 2 I had an abnormal pap. We did the colpo and than kept an eye on my cervix. Fast forward a year later and I am still having abnormal pap's and colpo's. My cervical displasia (?) keeps going up and down like a yo yo and these past couple tests show that it is going up towards turning into cervical cancer. So instead of worrying myself to death with repeat colpo's till it advances to cancer, I decided to take care of it now. I have had period problems my whole life, so my doctor said might as well kill two birds with one stone. I have done my research and I am excited to start my new life with no period pains and no cancer (hopefully)

Now onto all my worries and anxiety. I have been reading the post op forum and it seems like all of the women are very low on energy and just sleep their days away. I am a very active person and the only person in my house who does EVERYTHING. My boyfriend is only able to take 4 days off from his school (he is gone 5 days a week 3 hours from home) So after those 4 days are up I will be alone. I am freaking out on how I am suppose to get my 6 year old daughter to school and my 2 year old to daycare. I know I will not be able to drive for a week or more, so I am just worrying. I have no one but my mother and she works 5 days a week 10 hours a day, so basically I am alone.
Second and I know this is a stupid thing to be stuck on, but how is my house going to stay clean????? I am a neat freak and I know that I am going to be a stressful mess over the house.

And than I am worried about surgery, what if I die from the anesthesia what if I have complications and am stuck in the hospital for more than a night. I am just making myself crazy with all my thoughts.

I think I have rambled off enough for my first post lol and hope I didn't scare any of you away. I just have no one to talk to about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2011, 06:17 AM
Re: Scared, worried and unsure of what to expect

Hugs! All of your fears are normal!! I was scared to death before my surgery. I had never been under general anesthesia, either. But, the surgery went great! I came home the same day and did fabulous at home.

I totally understand you being busy. I am a stay at home mom to 5, plus I homeschool them all. I was up and moving around the day after my surgery. Hubby went back to work the very next day and I was on my own with the kids. He did cook dinner for the first two nights...LOL I had very little pain and was back to cooking and light housework within a few days. I was also driving and running errands after a few days. It needed to be done...plus, I was feeling pretty good. I did get tired in the afternoons for a week or so. That was frustrating for me...a few times I laid down for a while and that helped.

I hope your surgery goes as smoothly as mine did.
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:18 AM
Re: Scared, worried and unsure of what to expect

Hi. The reality is your house isn't going to stay clean. The bigger reality is the world won't stop because of it! Let it go for the the six to eight weeks the dr tells you to rest. If you do to much and injury yourself then the house will stay dirty for much much longer. I know this is going to be hard for you but remember your health is worth it.

Make some quick friends with your children's classmates. When my older two started kindergarten I became pregnant again. I was having complications. Their classmates parents step in to help. I didn't know them and I had to take a leap of faith. It was the best and only way I could see to survive those nine months. Most people are more then willing to help.

Surgery is scary but it is also the best way to solve some of our health problems. It is a surgery that is quite common. For me I kept remembering the reasons I was having it. I too had a cancer scare and it kept me positive the whole way through. I knew I didn't want to go through cancer. I was scared but I knew I was doing the right thing. Think positive!

You might also try calling a local church for help. You don't have to be a member. Explain what is going on see if they are willing to help you out.

Best of luck to you. Hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register