Hysto cause weight problems? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysto cause weight problems? Hysto cause weight problems?

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Hysto cause weight problems?

Will having my hysto cause weight gain?

I am considering leaving ovaries in, but I am not sure yet,

If you have ovaries out does it cause weight gain and or trouble loosing weight and or opposite if you leave ovaries in?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Re: Hysto cause weight problems?

My understanding is that having a hysterectomy will not cause weight gain. It it no different than before - excess calories and little or no exercise will cause weight gain with or without your uterus/ovaries. One problem is that after your surgery, it takes a while to recover and exercise at the level you had before surgery.

What does your doctor say about your ovaries? Does he/she want you to have them out? Don't make this decision on weight gain or loss. This should be a health decision as discussed with your doc.

Good luck. (((Hugs)))
Unread 09-14-2011, 08:27 PM

My doc is making it my decision and it is a hard one. I am not gonna make it based on weight.

I actually just had my last lap done end of June 2011 and had a very hard time with recovery, I wasn't recoverd or close to for six weeks. Crazy. And I have gained 14 pounds since my surgery!!!
Sad. And I am in agonny again and unable to exercise is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2011, 08:58 PM

I am sorry you are dealing with this. And it is so hard to exercise when your recovery is so rough. But now, they are thinking of taking your ovaries? After your hysterectomy?

In general, it is my understanding that you should leave a healthy organ in . Ovaries can provide needed hormones if they are healthy.
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:06 PM

Actually I have not yet had my hysto, just a laporsocopy well three of those. LAst one in June 2011.

My gyn doing the surgery is brand new to me, so new that yesterday was first time seeing her, as my other gyn moved out of state in August. And she was a few months new to me but she was the only one willing to do surgery on me when I wanted it and needed it. So she was a blessing.

What I was saying is the new gyn is bringing up taking ovaries and my last gyn was wanting to keep them. I am only 29 and there is nothing wrong with them. The left fallopian tube is damaged and will need to come out is all.
The gyn told me today it is up to me if I want to leave them in or not. I am trying to decide. I am thinkin leave em in. She said it would make it to where i had no chance of pain if I take them out, but I don;t believe that as It is not taking away my endo anyhow.
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Okay, now I understand.

It is your decision, but you are pretty young for ovary removal with your uterus. Even one ovary may provide you with enough hormones. I cannot speak to the pain issue your doc is mentioning. Maybe some other sisters can respond who have more experience with this.

Good luck.
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissStarlett View Post
Actually I have not yet had my hysto, just a laporsocopy well three of those. LAst one in June 2011.

My gyn doing the surgery is brand new to me, so new that yesterday was first time seeing her, as my other gyn moved out of state in August. And she was a few months new to me but she was the only one willing to do surgery on me when I wanted it and needed it. So she was a blessing.

What I was saying is the new gyn is bringing up taking ovaries and my last gyn was wanting to keep them. I am only 29 and there is nothing wrong with them. The left fallopian tube is damaged and will need to come out is all.
The gyn told me today it is up to me if I want to leave them in or not. I am trying to decide. I am thinkin leave em in. She said it would make it to where i had no chance of pain if I take them out, but I don;t believe that as It is not taking away my endo anyhow.
Why are you having a hysterectomy? If it is because you have abnormal cells and suspect cancer or pre-cancer, go see a gyn/oncologist instead. This will give you a 3rd opinion, and will help you decide.
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissStarlett View Post
Will having my hysto cause weight gain?

I am considering leaving ovaries in, but I am not sure yet,

If you have ovaries out does it cause weight gain and or trouble loosing weight and or opposite if you leave ovaries in?

Thanks
As far as weight gain, there are no studies to support that theory
As per my gyn/oncologist.
Food in, calories on. Losing or keeping weight off starts in the kitchen.

I did find it difficult to move around the first 3 months.
Here is where the weight gain comes in.....inactivity.

Right around 3 1/2-4 months I could walk more. Combined with watching what I ate, I lost 22 pounds in 3 months.

I hope the same for you.
I log on to "My Fitness Pal.Com" every day, to log in my food and my exercise. This really helps!
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am not getting hysto for that it is for Endo, adenomyosis, chronic pain and bleeding three weeks at a time. Basically the works!!
I had a lap in June 2011 and had the worst recovery time after, I wasn't recovered for 6 weeks and now in worst pain again.

My first two to three laps I was up and doing everything in a week or less. So Ya, I have gained 14 pound since. And am having a hard time loosing it due to unability to exercise right now. the only thing I can really do is walk, when i am not hurting. If I do any other exercise it makes my stomach hurt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register